What's a good Moon (neutral density) filter?

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What's a good Moon (neutral density) filter?

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:18 pm
stewe wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:14 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:08 pm

I've never looked for the 1.25" diameter. All I have are the 2" and that's all I use.
I see. I have to admit, I also had trouble finding any B+W filters in the 2" size online, all I saw at European vendors' sites were various filters for camera lens sizes.
They do not make astro sizes, you can buy standard 48mm or 46mm filters with a 48-46mm step down ring.
They do, or did, but rarely. I ordered mine through: http://www.company7.com/home.html The process you suggest is likely quicker.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Arsene37
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arsene37 »

Hello !
Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:35 pm … I cannot comment on the Baader but it is likely sealed for a reason.
Found this on their site :

"Both filters form a unit, to keep the filters perfectly aligned to each other – this double filter cannot be seperated into to single filters. This way, the filter delivers high-contrast views even at high magnifications. Polarizing filters offer the highest flexibility; if you are looking for superior image quality, you should use regular Neutral Density Filter, where there are less glass surfaces in the light path."

You can buy two single polarizer to separate them.
Arsène
Petzval quadruplet 152/760 on iOptron CEM25P — XX12 Orion Skyquest — 5.5" Celestron Comet Catcher (40 years old) — Perl-Vixen 130 mm/720 mm EQ — 8 mmm, 17mm and 31 mm aspheric Hyperion — BST Explorer ED 5 mm — Baader MPCC II — Leica EP 20x-60x — 2x Barlow — TS Optics Binoculars 20x80 Triplet.
stewe

Post by stewe »

stewe wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:19 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:11 pm try one part on the nosepiece and one part on the eyepiece.
When you want to vary the density, turn the eyepiece.
That should get rid of your reflection issue. This can also occur when stacking different filters so the seperation is rather common thing to do.
I will give it a shot if I have a chance and let you know what I found.
I tried this and the results were quite interesting.
I use a 2" APM mirror diagonal with dielectric coating. When one part of the variable polfilter is installed on the eyepiece, the other half on the telescope side of the diagonal (i.e., the mirror is between the two filters), then the following can be observed:
- the reflections due to the imperfect alignment of the filters wrt the optical axis remain,
- the polarization becomes frequency-dependent, resulting in a change in color (and not the change in intensity) as one rotates the eyepiece.

The latter is probably due to the dielectric coating on the mirror. I found a thread at CN that discusses this effect in some detail, basically concluding that the effect is smaller for older mirrors with thinner coatings and there is no observable such effect for cheap uncoated mirrors:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5964 ... n-viewing/

So my verdict about the TS variable polfilter:
- when mounted to the diagonal nosepiece: reflections and massive loss of contrast,
- when mounted separately with the diagonal mirror in between the pieces: refections and loss of contrast remain, tunability of flux does not work with a dielectric mirror,
- when mounted on the eyepiece: would hit the diagonal mirror, i.e., does not work.

In summary: useless, worthless product.

I just ordered a Baader ND0.9 filter, let's see what that one delivers in terms of optical quality.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Unfortunate that this occurred, have you been in touch with TS for a return?
I suspect the filter was from a bad batch as they normally do work better than this.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

I use the Baader orange 570nm longpass filter , best optical quality filter I have used for lunar observing. I've tried polarised and so called moon filters, but don't like the image through them.
Ivan
West83 Slovenia
Moon Ambassador

Post by West83 »

NGC 1365 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:20 pm I use the Baader orange 570nm longpass filter , best optical quality filter I have used for lunar observing. I've tried polarised and so called moon filters, but don't like the image through them.
I am looking at so called Lunar filters, and was thinking of getting the Neutral Densitiy (12,5%) from Baader, but I think that the orange 570nm might be a more versatile choice. It does say on their website that this filter "enhances lunar and planetary observations at dusk". I am curious about your experience, did you observe the full moon with this filter, and any other advantages you feel it has?

EDIT: Did you use it during the night as well?

Thanks!
Telescope Celestron Astromaster 130 - 130mm f/5 Reflector | Celestron FS80 - 80mm f/11.3 Refractor | TS Photoline 102mm f/7
Mounts SW AZ GTI
Binoviewer MaxBright II
Barlow Baader Q-Barlow 2.25x / 1.3x
Eyepieces Baader Classic Orthos 6mm, 10mm, 18mm | Baader Classic Plössl 32mm | Maxvision 24 mm 68°| BST 5mm
Filters Baader Neodymium (Moon & Skyglow) | Astronomik UHC
--------------------------------
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

I use the filter for full or near full observing and also for dusk/ dawn lunar viewing where it helps in enhancing detail. I use it for most of my lunar viewing except at high power(over roughly 350x magnification. I do view without a filter as well, but personally like the filtered view. The orange cast might not be to everyone's taste.
Ivan