Tempest fans

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
Jethro 7
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Tempest fans

Post by Jethro 7 »

I will make this short. I live in NW Florida, where humidity is high in the summer. Will a Tempest fan introduce moisture in to the scope body? Thank you Jethro.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Tempest fans

Post by JayTee »

It will introduce all kinds of things into the scope (OTA) body - dust, dirt, moisture, pollen, and any number of things that can become airborne with such a forceful fan! Not to mention that you will be disrupting the air around your scope, air that you would like to be as still as possible for good viewing and stable EP images! IMO- not a good idea.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Jethro 7
Earth Ambassador

Post by Jethro 7 »

Thank you JT.
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

JayTee wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:11 am It will introduce all kinds of things into the scope (OTA) body - dust, dirt, moisture, pollen, and any number of things that can become airborne with such a forceful fan! Not to mention that you will be disrupting the air around your scope, air that you would like to be as still as possible for good viewing and stable EP images! IMO- not a good idea.

Cheers,
JT
JT, are you talking about these [ https://www.deepspaceproducts.com/category/temp-est ] or something else? I have been under the impression that the TEMP-est products are quite highly-regarded and I have them on my list to include in my (eventual/ dream) large-SCT telescope. I take it you would advise against that? I'd like to learn more about that.

Added: Might you have meant these, which are very different: http://www.tempest.us.com/product-categ ... -products/ ?
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

AntennaGuy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:16 am
JayTee wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:11 am It will introduce all kinds of things into the scope (OTA) body - dust, dirt, moisture, pollen, and any number of things that can become airborne with such a forceful fan! Not to mention that you will be disrupting the air around your scope, air that you would like to be as still as possible for good viewing and stable EP images! IMO- not a good idea.

Cheers,
JT
JT, are you talking about these [ https://www.deepspaceproducts.com/category/temp-est ] or something else? I have been under the impression that the TEMP-est products are quite highly-regarded and I have them on my list to include in my (eventual/ dream) large-SCT telescope. I take it you would advise against that? I'd like to learn more about that.

Added: Might you have meant these, which are very different: http://www.tempest.us.com/product-categ ... -products/ ?
Similar name, huge difference. The second link is not acceptable to use in and around an observing environment.

The first seems purpose designed and more benign. However I'm skeptical about any forced air system even filtered. (How do the filters get cleaned?) I'd wait and see if there are problems. I prefer to plan ahead and treat the optics gently.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The correct response is all in the spelling/ wording Jethro!
Fans like the ones that DSP sells have been in use for a few years and seem to work reasonably well according to people I have talked with before.
I personally have never used them though.

I personally would prefer a system like the Lymax as to me the 55 micrometer screening in these is still going to allow some dust into the tube over time.
https://www.astroshop.eu/miscellaneous/ ... 8-/p,44537
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Might you have meant these, which are very different: http://www.tempest.us.com/product-categ ... -products/ ?
Uh, yeah. OOOPS, MY BAD!!! Disregard my post.

Thanks AG,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."