More focuser woes

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

More focuser woes

Post by KathyNS »

I'm trying to avoid shelling out big bucks for a Feathertouch focuser. But I can see that that may be in my future.

I thought I had my GSO LF dialed in and working fine. Just crank the tension up to max and it was working well. Or so I thought. Last night, it wouldn't autofocus to save its life.

I am making progress on diagnosing its problem. It looks like it objects to operating upside down. Pointing east of the meridian, it is right-side-up; pointing west, it is upside-down. All my problems seem to be on the west side. Last night, even with the tension cranked up, it lost traction. It still moved, but the movement was not linear with respect to motor steps. (See screen shot below. That fourth run is way too far over!) And, in the parked position, with the focuser hanging downward, I noticed some flex in the up/down direction. That could explain the loss of traction.

It looks like, once the weather warms up enough to work out there, I'll have a tune-up to do. Meanwhile, I'll have to stick to the east side of the sky, so I can't finish this year's M42.
20200222165030_AFRun_ALL.jpg
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: More focuser woes

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Before spending on the Feathertouch (though they are fantastic) have you compared the Moonlite or Baader Steeltrak for capability?
Very sturdy and a bit cheaper options.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
man1
Moon Ambassador

Post by man1 »

I have the same focuser on my XT10i, I had no issues but I like to improve where ever I can my setup. I read about people grinding
the flat spot on the tube (to be truly flat). Some folks are using a grinding stone and got very good smooth results. I went the other way
using my milling machine and got the surface absolutely flat. Also replaced the lube at the bearings. The GSO works super smooth,
I tried some one elses moonlight and other than the looks - it works just as smooth and reliable.

My be your problem is related to weather conditions being right on the ocean.... ???

On the other hand it's only money..... a very big part of astronomy....LOL....
Orion XT10i custom, Orion GiantView BT-70, Bushnell Natureview 20-60x65, Barska 25-125x80
SkySafari6 Pro & 7 Pro, SkyFi 3, ASI290MC, T7C
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

man1 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:52 pm I have the same focuser on my XT10i, I had no issues but I like to improve where ever I can my setup. I read about people grinding
the flat spot on the tube (to be truly flat). Some folks are using a grinding stone and got very good smooth results. I went the other way
using my milling machine and got the surface absolutely flat. Also replaced the lube at the bearings. The GSO works super smooth,
I tried some one elses moonlight and other than the looks - it works just as smooth and reliable.

My be your problem is related to weather conditions being right on the ocean.... ???

On the other hand it's only money..... a very big part of astronomy....LOL....
The GSO LF is different from the regular GSO Crayfords. There is no flat spot on the tube. Instead, there is a steel plate bolted onto it. It is supposed to be better. Apparently, it prevents play in the tube. But not on mine, apparently, which is why it might need to be tuned up.

I am sure it's not a weather-related effect, though I did encounter some problems at very low winter temperatures. I think those were related to the focuser having to extend more to compensate for thermal contraction of the OTA.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
man1
Moon Ambassador

Post by man1 »

Thanks for explaining your version of the GSO focuser, I am always learning something new! I have never seen the inner workings of
your version, I always thought they were working on the same principle (for refract. and reflect.). Maybe measure with a small
digital scale if there is any change in pressure needed for movement as temperature changes. Also you are mentioning this happens
when leaning towards a certain side... something must be binding. Stick with it, you'll figure it out and get it going.!!!
Orion XT10i custom, Orion GiantView BT-70, Bushnell Natureview 20-60x65, Barska 25-125x80
SkySafari6 Pro & 7 Pro, SkyFi 3, ASI290MC, T7C
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:04 am Before spending on the Feathertouch (though they are fantastic) have you compared the Moonlite or Baader Steeltrak for capability?
Very sturdy and a bit cheaper options.
The Moonlite CR-2 on my 17.5" dob has been trouble free for over 10 years now. Couldn't be happier. :)

https://focuser.com/products.php
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)