My Observatory tent

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

My Observatory tent

Post by carastro »

Astrovetteman asked about my camping observatory which he spotted in my Astroimaging video.

So I thought I'd start a separate thread rather than fill up my video thread.

I absolutely love this tent, it really keeps the wind and frost off, the space inside is a little restrictive, but if you offset your mount you can fit in a table and chair, so it also keeps me protected.

When it is shut up for the night (when at astro camps, or when it is raining), I still put my telescope over on, but this provides even more protection.

However I had to do a number of modifications because some of the design was really sub-standard for the job they were supposed to do.

This is the place I bought it:
http://astrograph.net/Observatory-Tent-3m-x-14m

Lets look at the tent first:

The first thing you will notice is that soppy little cover on the top. Held on by velcro!!!! I knew that a downpour of rain and it would leak terribly, so the first thing I did was add a 10" pelmet all round the edge of the roof and also added clips to not only hold the roof down, but it makes it much easier to put the roof on in the dark and wind as you can do one clip at a time and feel you way round in the dark to the next clip.

Last edited by carastro on Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
Dragonsfire Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: My Observatory tent

Post by Dragonsfire »

Nice and roomy :) Wind breaks are important especially for the hands lol.
Neil
Orion XT8i Dob, ES AR102
9x50 RACI Finder, TELRAD Reflex Sight, Electro Dot Sight RD400X
Agena SWA 38mm 70 FOV 2" EP, Orion 25+10mm Sirius Plossl 52 FOV EP
ES 82* 11mm, 18mm 2", ES 68* 24mm, 6mm, 25mm Ortho. EP, Televue 3X Barlow,CS lens 2.8mm-12mm F1.4
Filters Baader Continuum, UV/IF cut, Lumicon UHC, DGM OIII. ND5/3.8 Kendrick
GX1 Lumix, E-PM2, ASI224mc, SteadyPix Deluxe, iOptron SkyTracker 7.7lb
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Table and chair inside:

The first time I used it, the poles that form the dome, perforated the tiny pocket which is just made out of the same fabric as the tent and pierced right through the side of the tent. Not at all strong enough to do the job.

So the next thing I did was cut up an old rucksack and used the material to form a pad with a slot on top of it for the poles, no way are the poles going to go through this.

Seen from the outside:

This has worked well and the stiffness of the slot means less chance of the poles tipping over before the 2nd roof pole goes on and I can tie them together.
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,

carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

I've not finished with modifications yet I'm afraid.

After a while the lightweight nylon zips started to fail with the strain put on them in a curve and started to break/pull apart, and one windy camp i went to I ended up with 3 of the doorways open because I couldn't close the zips which rather defeats the object. (There are 4 doors).

I had to scratch my head a bit over this one, and in the end decided to stitch up 3 of the doors permanently (leaving a small gap to thread through the camping site power cable, and then converted the 4th doorway to a square one by adding some of the material I had left over from the roof mod, then I added 3 open ended, straight, heavy duty zips from Ebay.
Camping obsy zips.jpg
Here it is in action:
Last edited by carastro on Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonsfire Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Dragonsfire »

I found beezwax works well on zips to lubricate them, not sure if their plastic zips though since nowadays everything is cheaply made.
Neil
Orion XT8i Dob, ES AR102
9x50 RACI Finder, TELRAD Reflex Sight, Electro Dot Sight RD400X
Agena SWA 38mm 70 FOV 2" EP, Orion 25+10mm Sirius Plossl 52 FOV EP
ES 82* 11mm, 18mm 2", ES 68* 24mm, 6mm, 25mm Ortho. EP, Televue 3X Barlow,CS lens 2.8mm-12mm F1.4
Filters Baader Continuum, UV/IF cut, Lumicon UHC, DGM OIII. ND5/3.8 Kendrick
GX1 Lumix, E-PM2, ASI224mc, SteadyPix Deluxe, iOptron SkyTracker 7.7lb
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Sadly that's not the end of the mods.

The bits that the tent pegs to the ground and holds the circular tent rods started to split. At first I added webbing for the tent pegs, but then the bit where the tent rods goes in so I got some-one to make me some replacement ones with a 3D printer.

Original:
Pegging parts.jpg
I'm going to have to hunt for the 3D photo, I think there is one on my Phone.

Be right back.

carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

I found beezwax works well on zips to lubricate them, not sure if their plastic zips though since nowadays everything is cheaply made.
They were and are plastic zips, the zips worked fine when they weren't trying to go round a Bend.

Carole

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Finally found the After photo of the tent pegging foot with the 3D printed attachment.
Obsy tent peg.JPG
Carole
Last edited by carastro on Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Is yours the same as the Omegon?

https://www.omegon.eu/instruments/omego ... ry/p,12278
It's the same company I think, but this is an earlier version, which doesn't have the domed roof.

I used to have one like that previously and the only way to hold the roof up was to use the telescope in the middle to hold it up (with suitable padding) but it still developed puddles as it wasn't evenly raised. But that would be an option.

Carole

carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

I am hoping that's the end of the mods, but I fear the next thing to go will be the tent rods which have already split a little and I have taped them up. I have no idea where to buy new ones as they are much thinner than the regular tent rods.

I guess I should suss it out and have some standing by.

Anyway, I hope this thread is useful.

Carole

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Kendrick-Astrro in Canada used to sell a very nice tent with observatory.
I have though before of making one based on their design.

Nice modifications to yours, I hope it continues to serve you well.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

The Kendrick tents are very good, but expensive, and rather large as there is a sleeping area attached.

Carole

STEVE333 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Nice thread Carole. You have a "pioneer spirit" to put up with and resolve all these issues. Your love for astrophotography is impressive.

You make me feel like a wimp sleeping in my own bed every night. However, I'll be leaving the outings to star parties and dark sites to you. I'll have to rely on NB filters to create my "dark site".

Thanks for sharing your ongoing adventure with us.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Nice thread Carole. You have a "pioneer spirit" to put up with and resolve all these issues. Your love for astrophotography is impressive.

You make me feel like a wimp sleeping in my own bed every night. However, I'll be leaving the outings to star parties and dark sites to you. I'll have to rely on NB filters to create my "dark site".

Thanks for sharing your ongoing adventure with us.
Thanks Steve,

Well when you live in Bortle 8 with a dirty great tree in the way of Orion, for half the night you have a desperate urge to get to dark skies.

I can only go between March and October/November depending on the weather. A group of us go once a month when it's a New Moon (weather permitting), I feel really restricted in the winter months.

I have a van converted into a basic campervan, so I don't camp in tents any longer, (I used to) but the van had it's annual check yesterday (UK compulsory test for vehicles over 3 years), and whilst it passed I have been warned it's going to need some expensive welding work on it in a few months time. So am going to have to have a serious re-think on what to do after that.

I don't mind the camping it's the effort of getting there and all the packing and unpacking and pitching etc etc that is the tiring bit.

The camaraderie is great doing Astronomy with like minded people.

Carole

DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Thanks for this Carole, it looks like quite a journey to get the tent working. Well done, and lucky you are a whizz with a sewing machine! It sounds a bit like the farmer's axe though: "Best axe I ever had, it has only had 3 new handles and 2 new heads..."

I have to wonder though about the manufacture of it, and whether there is any warranty- with overall design faults, and poor quality materials for something which isn't all that cheap...

It is interesting that your astro-camping is at the same time of year as ours in South Australia: but for different reasons: in the summer it is too hot, so our winter is the way to go! As you say, the camaraderie is great, and it is great to have darker skies: SE London wouldn't be the best for viewing (my son live in East London, so I know all about the sky there). :)

Just for interest, where do you go for your Astro-camping?

All the best, and keep up the good work.

- Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

Hey Carole, THANKS so much for going into such detail with your "tent" Observatory!!! I'm going to look into one of these......if I can wheel my rig into it....that's going to be the only problem!!
Thank You SOOOO Much!!
:text-thankyoublue:
Tom
Scopes:TeleVue NP127is, TeleVue TV-85, Celestron C8 EdgeHD
Mount:Celestron CGEM-DX Hypertuned, CGX-L
Cameras: ASI6200MM/7POS 2”FW,QHY16200A, QHY9M, QHY10 OSC, Canon 60Da, QHY5LII, QHY PoleMaster
Guider:Orion 60mm Deluxe/ZWOASI120MC
Filters: Astrodon LRGB Gen2, Astrodon UV/IR Cut, Astrodon 3nmOIII, Astrodon 3nmSII, Baader 3.5nmHA, Baader 7nmHA
Software:MaximDL6, APT, Pixinsight, Photoshop CS5
Remote Sites: Deep Sky West-Chile, Telescope Live Australia, Chile, Spain
Cats:Pugsley, Tiggy, Panda
Dog:Noell
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

carastro wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:11 pm Well when you live in Bortle 8 with a dirty great tree in the way of Orion, for half the night you have a desperate urge to get to dark skies.
You're describing my backyard (garden). :lol:
I have a van converted into a basic campervan, so I don't camp in tents any longer, (I used to) [...] I don't mind the camping it's the effort of getting there and all the packing and unpacking and pitching etc etc that is the tiring bit.
Excellent! I've been daydreaming about buying a plain cargo van and just putting a cot in the back. Much easier than packing the tent, etc., loading the car, unloading the car, and so on. Plus there's nothing worse than a damp tent and sleeping bag after a rain.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

..if I can wheel my rig into it....that's going to be the only problem!!
there is a little lip at the doorway, but if you put something like a square of carpet over the lip it would squash down sufficiently to allow something to be rolled over it without damaging the tent doorway. The entrance you need to duck under but I am sure it would work.

Carole

carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Just for interest, where do you go for your Astro-camping?
Thanks for your comments.

We travel down to East Sussex for our camping weekends, just below Bewl Water where it is Bortle 4.

Carole