Celestron SkyPortal WiFi Adapter Not Connecting

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Celestron SkyPortal WiFi Adapter Not Connecting

Post by JayTee »

Hello,

As the title suggests, my Verizon, Android 9, Moto g6 smartphone will not connect to the Celestron SkyPortal WiFi adapter using the SkyPortal app no matter what I try and yes my phone does see the adapter in the WiFi setup on my smartphone and yes it is selected when I'm trying to connect.

The SkyPortal WiFI adapter will connect to my iPad using the SkyPortal app and my laptop will connect to the SkyPortal WiFi adapter using CPWI. I'm pretty savvy when it comes to setting up WiFi things but this one has me stumped! I've also tried to connect through SkySafari Pro 6 which is on my smartphone - still no go!

With my other platforms, I configured the SkyPortal WiFi adapter so I could change from "Direct" connect to "WLAN (Access Point)" connect. This still did not help -- HELP!

I called Celestron and they just blanket said that if the SkyPortal WiFi adapter connects to your other electronics then your particular smartphone is just not compatible - HUH?

I refuse to believe this statement until one of you chimes in and says, "Yes, JT it's true. Your smartphone is the issue." I believe I'm missing a setting or something on my smartphone so it does connect. Does anybody else have this problem with connecting their Android smartphone to the SkyPortal WiFi adapter?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Celestron SkyPortal WiFi Adapter Not Connecting

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I've no help to offer, just interested in responses.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Joetattoo
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Celestron SkyPortal WiFi Adapter Not Connecting

Post by Joetattoo »

Hi,
Have you tried turning off your mobile data connection on your phone? I have heard from other users that their smart phones had trouble keeping the wifi connection with that setting on.
Your problem sounds a bit different, but only takes a moment to try
Good luck
Joe