Binoviewer for big fast Dob

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
Kingofthehill
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Binoviewer for big fast Dob

Post by Kingofthehill »

Hi Everyone,

I am considering a binoviewer, mostly used with the scope I use most often, my 18UC. There have been multiple binoviewer threads in this forum and its predecessor, however I see the binoviewer being used mostly with refractors, not on Dobs. My major concern is my Interpupillary distance (IPD), 77 mm. I tried a binoviewer last year at a star party. The IPD was not adjustable enough to fit me. Not all manufacturers list the IPD in the specifications area of their units. There used to be a telescope shop within two hours of me, sadly, it is now Internet only sales, without a sales floor, so no test-before-I-buy option. I called Televue and asked what the IPD of theirs was, they didn't know. At least the person I was talking to couldn't find the answer.
Anyone out there, with a binoviewer, and eyes that are across the room from each other?
Paul
Main telescope used is Obsession 18UC
Cut my teeth on Orion 10" Dob
AR152 and Orion ST80 sit mostly unused
Lots of binoculars
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Binoviewer for big fast Dob

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I've owned and used the Baader Maxbright and Mark V units and they max out at ~75mm so I can barely use them since I'm at 73mm.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Kingofthehill
Mars Ambassador

Post by Kingofthehill »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:40 am I've owned and used the Baader Maxbright and Mark V units and they max out at ~75mm so I can barely use them since I'm at 73mm.
Obvious discrimination. When will the cranially endowed not be abused?
Paul
Lots of binoculars
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Siebert Optics 2" BV IPD is 55mm-82mm though they are not inexpensive.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Kingofthehill
Mars Ambassador

Post by Kingofthehill »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:40 am Siebert Optics 2" BV IPD is 55mm-82mm though they are not inexpensive.
They certainly aren't.
Paul
Lots of binoculars
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I wanted a binoviewer when I had my 18" - but then I sold the scope. My plan is to get one when I buy my next large Dob, but that won't be until I relocate to dark skies (about 3-5 years away at this point).
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Kingofthehill wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:27 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:40 am I've owned and used the Baader Maxbright and Mark V units and they max out at ~75mm so I can barely use them since I'm at 73mm.
Obvious discrimination. When will the cranially endowed not be abused?
Never. As long as the cranially unendowed are the "in" crowd in high school and adult politics, we're doomed. ;)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Rainmaker
Moon Ambassador

Post by Rainmaker »

Just a thought on the use of binoviewers with fast scopes.......
due to the broad light cone on faster Newts (like my F3,5) there can be quite severe vignetting at the binoviewer which are mostly designed for the quite narrow light cones of scopes from F5 to F15 etc....
Matt in Oz
Rainmaker “Excalibur” 18” F3.5 +SIPS @ 1860mm
TMB-LZOS 152mm F7.9 @ 1200mm
Takahashi FOA 60mm F8.8
Takahashi FC76DC F7.5
Skylight AR101.15
denis0007dl
Earth Ambassador

Post by denis0007dl »

Kingofthehill wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:26 am Hi Everyone,

I am considering a binoviewer, mostly used with the scope I use most often, my 18UC. There have been multiple binoviewer threads in this forum and its predecessor, however I see the binoviewer being used mostly with refractors, not on Dobs. My major concern is my Interpupillary distance (IPD), 77 mm. I tried a binoviewer last year at a star party. The IPD was not adjustable enough to fit me. Not all manufacturers list the IPD in the specifications area of their units. There used to be a telescope shop within two hours of me, sadly, it is now Internet only sales, without a sales floor, so no test-before-I-buy option. I called Televue and asked what the IPD of theirs was, they didn't know. At least the person I was talking to couldn't find the answer.
Anyone out there, with a binoviewer, and eyes that are across the room from each other?
Hello Paul,

firstly, TeleVue BinoVue have IPD tange from 55-75mm max.

In 1.25" format, there are only 2 binoviewers with IPD 77mm, and are made by Carl Zeiss.
Here is one model
https://www.cloudynights.com/classified ... ewer-ever/

and here is second
https://www.cloudynights.com/classified ... inoviewer/

Hope it helps.

Kind regards
Denis
Binoviewers expert
CS and all the best
Denis Levatić