2x Barlow question

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

2x Barlow question

Post by smp »

I have been using my TV-85 with a TV 32mm Plossl eyepiece for (kind of) wide field viewing.

Last night, I decided to try my old Celestron 2x Barlow, in order to get on an object (Saturn) and then see the 2x view. I've never really used this Barlow before - it came in a Celestron kit of eyepieces & filters that my wife gave me as a gift many years ago. It worked, but also provided a few issues.

First was the image shift. I was surprised to see that my image shifted quite a bit. Still in the FOV, so not too much of a problem, really. Then, out of focus. I suppose that ought not to be a surprise (maybe?). Last, I felt my view was degraded. A bit more fuzzy than it was, or perhaps a bit more scintillation around the object.

Is this to be expected? Are these things that occur with cheap Barlows? If I were to invest in a "high quality" Barlow, would these issues not occur, or be much less noticeable?

I realize that putting more glass between the object and my eye will degrade the image, but these things were a surprise to me.

Your thoughts and advice are welcome!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: 2x Barlow question

Post by Shabadoo »

I have a 2x and a 5x that I use for lunar and planetary viewing, I have found that the movement out of the field of view increases, and that the point of focus is very, very fine. In other words, on focus, when you achieve it, you are just a twitch away from being out of focus.
It makes it difficult to share the object with another person.
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

smp wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:46 pmLast, I felt my view was degraded. A bit more fuzzy than it was, or perhaps a bit more scintillation around the object.

Is this to be expected? Are these things that occur with cheap Barlows? If I were to invest in a "high quality" Barlow, would these issues not occur, or be much less noticeable?
I own two barlows, a Celestron Omni x2 and a GSO 2.5x APO. I can tell you there is a noticeable difference in performance between the two. Not a night and day difference, but noticeable. Typically though, I don't barlow. I'd rather have an EP with the focal length to do the job. I really only like to use barlows with my camera for taking planetary pics.
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

The TV Powermates and Baader 2.25x Barlows are pretty good. I don't remember which cheaper Barlows I have since they were relegated to the "do not use" bin.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

Post by smp »

Thanks very much, guys, for your thoughts and advice.
I'll be looking into (yet another) TV accessory. :lol:

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

I only have a 2 x Meade Barlow , I have not used it for at least a year now but dont remember any focus shift while using it, I used it last on a WO 80mm Refractor , but as I sold it it has no use for me with my current scopes
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

smp wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:46 pm I have been using my TV-85 with a TV 32mm Plossl eyepiece for (kind of) wide field viewing.

Last night, I decided to try my old Celestron 2x Barlow, in order to get on an object (Saturn) and then see the 2x view. I've never really used this Barlow before - it came in a Celestron kit of eyepieces & filters that my wife gave me as a gift many years ago. It worked, but also provided a few issues.

First was the image shift. I was surprised to see that my image shifted quite a bit. Still in the FOV, so not too much of a problem, really. Then, out of focus. I suppose that ought not to be a surprise (maybe?). Last, I felt my view was degraded. A bit more fuzzy than it was, or perhaps a bit more scintillation around the object.

I realize that putting more glass between the object and my eye will degrade the image, but these things were a surprise to me.

Your thoughts and advice are welcome!

smp
Some barlow/ eyepiece barrels will fit a bit loose in the diagonal/ adapter tube so the image shift can be normal. Does yours use compression ring or set screws?
Also remember you were using an eyepiece which provides 27mm FS with almost a 4.5° ExP down to a barlow 18mm -21mm clear aperture 2.3° ExP which may have been (possibly) slightly vignetted by the smaller clear aperture of the barlow.
Try with a Plossl in the 20mm range and see if the result is the same.
Most barlows are not parafocal so some refocusing is to be expected.
A high quality barlow will disappear from view, meaning it does not add any aberrations into the view from its use.
With modern coatings and glass manufacturing using a high quality barlow will result in very minimal light loss. (Older high end ones will not either)
With shorty barlows there is no advantage to a two lens or three lens barlow until you get above 5x magnification. The third lens is then used to correct aberrations of the light cone.
Roland (Astro-Physics) made the comment one time that if there was an actual advantage to using three lenses in a short barlow why have none of the high end manufacturers made them?
PowerMates work well but they are also technically not barlows and there are some eyepiece designs that they do not play well with.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt

Post by smp »

Thanks very much for this info, Gabby!
Very much appreciated!

Right now, I'm kind of torn between simply getting a TV DeLite 18.2mm to do pretty much the same as a 2x Barlow, or start experimenting with Barlows.

I have a hidden constraint. The TV eyepiece has the proper connection to my new Night Vision monocular. The 2x Barlow was a very inexpensive way to go to 2x with my 32mm eyepiece. The TV 18.2mm DeLite is on the order of $250, and the TV 2x Barlow is on the order of $130. Switching the 32mm for the 18.2mm would essentially not put anything more in between the object and my monocular. Adding in a Barlow would add more glass into the train.

Lots to think over before making my next move.

Thanks again for the info!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

One thing I will mention from my compression ring/ set screw question.
Once you start getting into shorter light cones (i know f/7 is mid range) alignment of the optical train becomes more important.
A set screw can tilt or push an eyepiece off center, a compression ring may not really be centered.
I have an eyepiece that I had to put a layer of electrical tape around the barrel to remove the excessive slack between the barrel and focuser tube.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Stock/budget barlow definitely degrade image quality. Loss of contrast, fine details and sharpness are fairly common with those.

A good quality barlow like Televue 2x can actually improve the views and I feel that you should have at least one in your EP box.

As for which to get first TV barlow or 18.2mm Delite is a tough call. I like both. 18.2mm Delite is such a nice match for F10 SCTs for DSO hunting, since it delivers exit pupil close to 2 mm.

Maybe you should wait for good deals around Christmas. I got my TV 2x on Christmas sale a few years ago.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

Post by smp »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:10 pm One thing I will mention from my compression ring/ set screw question.
Once you start getting into shorter light cones (i know f/7 is mid range) alignment of the optical train becomes more important.
A set screw can tilt or push an eyepiece off center, a compression ring may not really be centered.
I have an eyepiece that I had to put a layer of electrical tape around the barrel to remove the excessive slack between the barrel and focuser tube.
Yeah, the Celestron Barlow has a single set screw, so that could indeed be the culprit of the image shift. (All my TV stuff has compression rings, but even there, there is only one set screw.)

Thanks very much for all your thoughts and advice.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -

Post by smp »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:53 pm Stock/budget barlow definitely degrade image quality. Loss of contrast, fine details and sharpness are fairly common with those.

A good quality barlow like Televue 2x can actually improve the views and I feel that you should have at least one in your EP box.

As for which to get first TV barlow or 18.2mm Delite is a tough call. I like both. 18.2mm Delite is such a nice match for F10 SCTs for DSO hunting, since it delivers exit pupil close to 2 mm.

Maybe you should wait for good deals around Christmas. I got my TV 2x on Christmas sale a few years ago.
Thanks for your thoughts, Andrey. Yes, all this gear is quite useable with my C6, also. I'd sorely love to get my hands on that DeLite, but I'm a bit down on budget after all the spending I've been on with the NV setup. Good advice to hold on a bit and see what deals my come about between now and Christmas.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Depending on the height of the eyepiece barrel undercut a set screw may seem tight but is just pressing against the edge of the groove.
Moving the telescope around can cause the eyepiece to shift against the screw.
Issues when things like useless undercuts are not a standard height.
Gabrielle

Post by smp »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:39 pm Depending on the height of the eyepiece barrel undercut a set screw may seem tight but is just pressing against the edge of the groove.
Moving the telescope around can cause the eyepiece to shift against the screw.
Issues when things like useless undercuts are not a standard height.
Ha! I never thought about that with the undercut. Of course, my TV 32mm Plossl has an undercut with beveled edges, so I'm going to have to see where it seats, and if the set screw edds up hitting against a beveled edge. That could lead to the image shift issue, for sure.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and advice. Greatly appreciated.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -