Damn RACI screws out of control

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
allisonribeiro
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Damn RACI screws out of control

Post by allisonribeiro »

Hello there.

I own a Celestron 9x50 RACI finder and I've always struggled with the adjustments screws of it.

It seems that the only way for me to get it aligned with the scope is to leave one of the fine adjustment screws completely loose, but this way it gets somewhat unstable and it is easily misaligned again.

Also I have to adjust it at every session since moving the scope will most likely mess the finder's position a little.

What am I missing? If I tighten both screws one of the axis gets way out of target...

Tks and clear skies!
Telescope: Orion SkyQuest Xt8 Classic, red dot finder and Celestron 9x50 RACI. 
Eps : 5mm CELESTRON X-CEL, 9mm CELESTRON X-CEL, 25mm CELESTRON X-CEL, 2x Barlow lens, DGM NPB nebula filter
10X50 Bino
Camera: ASI224MC
Messier: 30/110, AF.net S110: 78/110
smeyer8015
Jupiter Ambassador

Re: Damn RACI screws out of control

Post by smeyer8015 »

Make sure the O-ring on the front is in the grove on the finder and fully seated in the frame..
I had to tighten the spring on the pin.
Celestron Classic 8, Old Sears 60mm f/15 refractor, Old Edmund Scientific 6 inch F/8 newt, GSO 2" Diag, ES 30mm/70, ES 25mm/70, Orion 32 Super Plossl, Mead 24mm MA,
X-Cel LX 18mm, Luminos 15mm, F/6.3 reducer, Luminos 2.5x barlow, Telrad, Celestron 9x50 RACI, DIY Baader Solar Filter, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Bresser EXOS-2 Goto, Revolution Imager R1

No trees were killed in the sending of this post. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
allisonribeiro
Earth Ambassador

Post by allisonribeiro »

Eps : 5mm CELESTRON X-CEL, 9mm CELESTRON X-CEL, 25mm CELESTRON X-CEL, 2x Barlow lens, DGM NPB nebula filter
10X50 Bino
smeyer8015
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by smeyer8015 »

There is an allen screw to adjust the spring tension. I have seen where some have replaced the spring with a screw.
Celestron Classic 8, Old Sears 60mm f/15 refractor, Old Edmund Scientific 6 inch F/8 newt, GSO 2" Diag, ES 30mm/70, ES 25mm/70, Orion 32 Super Plossl, Mead 24mm MA,
X-Cel LX 18mm, Luminos 15mm, F/6.3 reducer, Luminos 2.5x barlow, Telrad, Celestron 9x50 RACI, DIY Baader Solar Filter, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Bresser EXOS-2 Goto, Revolution Imager R1

No trees were killed in the sending of this post. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
allisonribeiro
Earth Ambassador

Post by allisonribeiro »

I see. Didnt notice them before.

Will try, tks mate
10X50 Bino
Gator1PK
Earth Ambassador

Post by Gator1PK »

I forget where I found this guide but it is well put together. It’s the manual that should have come with the Celestron RACI. I was able to focus the findescope as well as focus the reticle.
I got it aligned and then tightened the set screw which is an Allen screw. Just snug not go hulk and screw it down. I can now slide it the holder (shoe or rail, whatever it’s called) the check my scope alignment and it maintains it.

A tip for beginners, always check the alignment of the finderscope with the telescope. I used to assume that if it was done once it stayed, well save yourself the trouble, time and losing confidence on operating your telescope.

Clear Skies!
Attachments
celestron-raci-finderscope-user-sourced-guidance_1-22-2019rev1.pdf
(732.37 KiB) Downloaded 94 times