Solar Filters and finders

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Solar Filters and finders

Post by Razz »

I've been thinking about getting a solar filter and, for obvious reasons, I don't want to be cheap about it. I'm looking at this Baader Astrozap Solar Filter...
https://www.highpointscientific.com/ast ... pes-az1003...any thoughts or better suggestions?
Also got looking at this Tele Vue Sol-Searcher solar finder...any thoughts on this?
https://www.highpointscientific.com/tel ... r-ssf-1006

Hope the links work and thanks for any advice...
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Re: Solar Filters and finders

Post by Gfamily »

You can buy Baader solar filter film in loose sheets, and making your own filter is straightforward - and safe.
Wrap a strip of card snugly around the OTA. Then wrap a single turn of double sided tape around it.
Cut a circle of foil about 2cm larger than the aperture, and cut 1 cm snips in make the first cm like petals all round.
Then place the foil centrally on the aperture and stick the petals to the double sided tape.
Another circle of double sided tape, and then finish off with a second strip of card around the lot.
It should fit snugly onto the OTA, and you'll definitely know it's the right size to be secure.

I made my own version of a solar finder with a short length of wood and two pieces of plastic cut from a coffee jar.
Screenshot_20220924-194152.jpg
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Solar Filters and finders

Post by Razz »

Thanks, I appreciate it. I like this idea.
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill