Expected views with Astronomik UHC filter in white zone sky

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
salehram
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Expected views with Astronomik UHC filter in white zone sky

Post by salehram »

Hi all,

So I have got a chance to buy an Astronomik UHC filter and I got it finally.

Last night I stayed up so Orion rise and I wanted to test it out to see what's the difference it will do with my DSO views (technically I have 0 visibility on anything other than stars)..
I live under a class 9 sky in a white zone so it is so bad for me...

I know not to expect much but what I was looking is to at least see some sort of a faint nebula with my eyes as to indicate this is a nebula or something.

What I got was some similar view really with less brightness and some hard time to resolve the stars of the nebula. Basically it was the 4 visible stars in the Trapezium cluster at the center of the nebula, plus the 3 stars lining under that with no indication about any haze or a faint cloud or anything. Also there was some red color shadow for the stars that you would think one star is actually 2 on top of each other...

So I got confused a little bit really about what to consider a faulty filter from what is a normal situation and an expected view considering my sky conditions...

Any feedback on this? Or does anyone had a similar experience?

I'm just looking to know if there is something wrong with the filter or this is completely normal for my case as I am unable to judge due to no prior experience with this and I haven't attempted to do this in a better sky conditions...

Thanks all for the help!
Telescope(s): Celestron Omni XLT 102mm (4") f/9.8 refractor w/ upgraded GSO focuser and RACI finder + QHY MiniGuideScope
Mount: Computerized (OnStep) CG-4 | Eyepieces: 25mm, 14mm, 10mm, Omni 2x barlow, GSO 3x barlow
Cameras: ZWO ASI224MC-S, QHY5L II-Mono | Binoculars: Oberwerk 11x56
I used to take photos from the house's window, but not anymore!
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Expected views with Astronomik UHC filter in white zone sky

Post by helicon »

Comparing the views with and without the filter should give you an idea if the UHC is working. I suppose sometimes the LP is so bad that even a filter may not help all that much. I am in a red zone (Bortle 7) and sometimes get reasonably good views of M42 from home. But there is no substitute for truly dark skies.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

Unfortunately, UHC filters tend to be hyped up a bit as far as performance goes.
Remember, a filter will never increase any light hitting your retina. All it can do, is block the unwanted light and let the light you want, in.

With that being said, you may want to simply hold the filter up between your eye and the eyepiece and move it in and out of the field of view.
This "blinking" technique should show you whatever difference there is to be had.

Cheers
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
salehram
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by salehram »

helicon wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:55 pm Comparing the views with and without the filter should give you an idea if the UHC is working. I suppose sometimes the LP is so bad that even a filter may not help all that much. I am in a red zone (Bortle 7) and sometimes get reasonably good views of M42 from home. But there is no substitute for truly dark skies.
Thanks a lot for your reply!

Well the thing is, I am seeing similar view with the filter and without the filter... or so it seems to me.

The only difference when I use the filter is the less bright view to the point the stars themselves appear dimmer and the reddish shadow behind each star.

I put the filter on the camera to see if it is any different with it, and it was a bit more clear now with the center of the nebula visible when viewed through the camera (but again I could see the same view without the filter but less contrast) but when I view with my eyes I still don't see anything related to a cloud or haze or anything. So if I did not know I'm looking at the Orion nebula it would still appear as a small group of stars to me with or without the filter...

I guess it might be all to the level of LP in my area and there is not much I can do about it and no matter how slightly I wanted to affect or enhance it it would not work for me... But again I have been reading about his for about 2 days and the feedback I read was a little bit more positive from what I had seen so far :roll: I'm doubting my eyes a little bit as well as I wear eyeglasses and I have 'some' issues while trying to resolve some bright stars at night, so maybe it is in me at the end :lol: ... I will bring the eyes of my wife to help tonight and check what she will see as well!
Telescope(s): Celestron Omni XLT 102mm (4") f/9.8 refractor w/ upgraded GSO focuser and RACI finder + QHY MiniGuideScope
Mount: Computerized (OnStep) CG-4 | Eyepieces: 25mm, 14mm, 10mm, Omni 2x barlow, GSO 3x barlow
Cameras: ZWO ASI224MC-S, QHY5L II-Mono | Binoculars: Oberwerk 11x56
I used to take photos from the house's window, but not anymore!
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I have a Lumicon nebular filter and while it helps in my red (pink?) zone, an unfiltered scope in dark skies beats anything I've seen.

Some people compensate for heavy LP by going into narrow band imaging, but that's a whole 'nother story on cost and complexity.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s