Looking to upgrade my Diagonal

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
Don Quixote
Articles: 0

Looking to upgrade my Diagonal

Post by Don Quixote »

I have been thinking of an upgrade for my diagonal.
I presently have the ES 2" dialectric that came with my telescope.
Is there anything worth upgrading here.
I have no complaint, but I am wondering if I can improve my view.
Any comments and advice will be much appreciated.

It could be I just have too much time on my hands.... :-)
Thank you.
Ozman
Jupiter Ambassador

Re: Looking to upgrade my Diagonal

Post by Ozman »

I have the same ES diagonal and a couple of the Meade 2" dielectric ones. I switch the three out regardless of what scope I am using, so any diagonal could be in any scope at any given time, and I can't really tell any difference between the three. They all perform well to my eye.

I guess if you're wanting to upgrade the performance, it would have to be one of the much costlier ones and I just don't have any experience using one. I may be missing out on some (I assume small) degree of possible increase of performance, but "Ignorance is Bliss" will have to suffice for me as I have already exceeded my astronomy spending for quite some time to come.
AD12, 8" LX200ACF, 120 Skywatcher, ES 102CF APO, AR102, ST100, 90mm Mak, ST80, 60ETX
Oberwerk BT-82XL-ED, 25x100s, 15x70s, 8x56s, Kasai 2.3x40s, Celestron AVX, CG4, SLT, LCM
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Thank you Oz.
You have helped here.
I really do not need an upgrade...

I just need another nice clear night sky. :-)

It helps to get someone elses perspective. Then I stop and take a think...thank you again.
Bataleon
Earth Ambassador

Post by Bataleon »

I have the same diagonal as you on my SCT and a William optics 99% on my mak. Been very happy with both. I don't *own* anything higher end, but there's a regular at my astronomy association that I kind of "team up with" when we see each other. He has a CPC 925 with a Televue diagonal in it, so essentially the same scope, just a bit larger aperture. We often get into chasing the same object so I've had the opportunity to look at the exact same things in the exact same conditions and my conclusion... I really don't notice much difference. The Televue feels exquisite and has that high coin aesthetic, but performance? Certainly not enough to warrant plunking down hundreds of dollars, IMHO.
Scopes: Celestron CPC 800 GPS SCT, Celestron NexStar 102 SLT refractor on VX mount/tripod, Sky Watcher Virtuoso 90mm Mak on SLT for astro use
Eyepieces: 2": Meade 5000 82° UWA 20mm, ES 82 series 34mm 1.25": Meade 5000 82° UWA in 8.8mm and 14mm x2, WO 20mm 66° plossls x2, GSO 32mm plossl, GSO 12mm plossl
Other accessories: William Optics binoviewer with 1.6x barlow cell, Baader 2.25x 1.25" barlow, GSO 2x barlow in both 1.25 and 2", ES 2" 99% on the SCT, WO durabright in 1.25 and 2" on the 90 mak, frac respectively, Celestron 9x50 illuminated RACI/Star Pointer pro on SCT, SPP on 102 SLT, Orion 6x30 RACI on mak, Astrozap flexheat dew shield and controller, Dew Not eyepiece heaters
Binoculars: Steiner Observer 25x80, Bushnell Engage 12x50, Nikon Action Extreme in 10x50, 12x50, and 16x50, Nikon Prostaff 3s 10x42, Steiner P830, Leica Trinovid 8x32, Steiner Firebird 12x40, Vortex Diamondback 8x42
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If money is not an issue, the 2" Astro-Physics Maxbright or 2" Baader BBHS.
If looking at 2" TeleVue EverBrite quality purchase the Stellarvue Deluxe for less and it is a slightly better diagonal for light scatter control.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I have some what different take on this. Diagonal is a part of light train which is as good as the weakest link. Many of us has good amount of money invested in good quality EPs. It is a bit silly to invest in $200-300 EP and put a stock diagonal in front.

So, if you can you should invest in premium diagonal. I am big fan of Baader prisms for Moon, planets and doubles. They do make noticable difference in views compared to mid range dielectrics. For DSOs I use hard silver Baader and clicklock Baader (dielectric).
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Bataleon
Earth Ambassador

Post by Bataleon »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:23 pm I have some what different take on this. Diagonal is a part of light train which is as good as the weakest link. Many of us has good amount of money invested in good quality EPs. It is a bit silly to invest in $200-300 EP and put a stock diagonal in front.

So, if you can you should invest in premium diagonal. I am big fan of Baader prisms for Moon, planets and doubles. They do make noticable difference in views compared to mid range dielectrics. For DSOs I use hard silver Baader and clicklock Baader (dielectric).
Certainly a valid point. I don't think I'd go so far to say as the diagonal doesn't matter. All I meant was between mid level dielectrics and upper mid level, I don't notice enough difference to justify the cost. Of course, I'd love to get a diagonal that's half the price of my OTA. :D

With that said, while we're on the subject, I wonder how the APM ultra broadband erect image diagonals are. They do look to be a wee bit more affordable than a Baader.
Scopes: Celestron CPC 800 GPS SCT, Celestron NexStar 102 SLT refractor on VX mount/tripod, Sky Watcher Virtuoso 90mm Mak on SLT for astro use
Eyepieces: 2": Meade 5000 82° UWA 20mm, ES 82 series 34mm 1.25": Meade 5000 82° UWA in 8.8mm and 14mm x2, WO 20mm 66° plossls x2, GSO 32mm plossl, GSO 12mm plossl
Other accessories: William Optics binoviewer with 1.6x barlow cell, Baader 2.25x 1.25" barlow, GSO 2x barlow in both 1.25 and 2", ES 2" 99% on the SCT, WO durabright in 1.25 and 2" on the 90 mak, frac respectively, Celestron 9x50 illuminated RACI/Star Pointer pro on SCT, SPP on 102 SLT, Orion 6x30 RACI on mak, Astrozap flexheat dew shield and controller, Dew Not eyepiece heaters
Binoculars: Steiner Observer 25x80, Bushnell Engage 12x50, Nikon Action Extreme in 10x50, 12x50, and 16x50, Nikon Prostaff 3s 10x42, Steiner P830, Leica Trinovid 8x32, Steiner Firebird 12x40, Vortex Diamondback 8x42
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The APM get consistent good reviews, and Herr Ludes seldom puts out a bad product.
He is quite picky on the QC end of things.

I would stress that for people just thinking of buying a prism that depending on the type of telescope they should test first to see if a prism will make any difference for them or not.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Well...I finally got back here and I have succumb to the "lust for glass". 😊
I am now viewing the sky with the Baader BBHS Sitall Max 2S diagonal.
I have had it out only once and posted an observing report. "Pinball Wizard at Penfield".
I have not made any side by side compares yet. I will do that in future just for fun. This is a lifetime mirror diagonal and I LOVE the Baader Locking mechanism!
dritter
Moon Ambassador

Post by dritter »

Don Quixote wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:26 am ... This is a lifetime mirror diagonal and I LOVE the Baader Locking mechanism!

This is a very good point.

Even if the absolute difference in perceived image quality is undetectable, sometimes the mechanical aspects can make enough difference to warrant an upgrade anyway. I have a couple of the Baader click-locks as well. One is a large SCT adapter for the Edge11 and the other is a 1.25" diagonal adapter.

Both click-locks work great and to me, they were well worth the money. Turns out that I much prefer using twist-lock mechanisms over locking screws.

Even the really good lock-screw diagonals with internal bronze compression ring don't compare to the twist-lock method. So if a click-lock enabled device also contains a great mirror or prism, all the better.
Dave
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Don Quixote wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:26 am Well...I finally got back here and I have succumb to the "lust for glass". 😊
I am now viewing the sky with the Baader BBHS Sitall Max 2S diagonal.
I have had it out only once and posted an observing report. "Pinball Wizard at Penfield".
I have not made any side by side compares yet. I will do that in future just for fun. This is a lifetime mirror diagonal and I LOVE the Baader Locking mechanism!
Congrats Mark! I am surely enjoing mine. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257