Astromania 1.25" Superior Quality Multiple 5-Position Filter Wheel For Telescope

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

Astromania 1.25" Superior Quality Multiple 5-Position Filter Wheel For Telescope

Post by GCoyote »

So I ordered the item described in the subject line which showed up in less than a week. No rush to open it since the weather is still crap.

https://www.astromaniaoptics.com/products/-180
Astromania 5 position filter wheel included parts.PNG
The filter wheel came in the box with the 1.25" nose piece installed in the back plate, just as shown in the picture on item description page.
I removed it and installed the 1.25" eyepiece holder in its place. This part fit correctly (upper left in the image below).
Astromania 5 position filter wheel four views.PNG
Unfortunately the 1.25" nose piece cannot be installed directly on the SCOPE SIDE of the filter wheel housing.
The installed camera adaptor and the nose piece are both the same size and have the same EXTERNAL thread making them incompatible with each other.
Removing the camera adaptor does not solve the problem as the threaded hole in the body of the filter wheel is much larger than the threads on the nose piece.
Astromania 5 position filter wheel intalled on scope.PNG
So the "high quality" filter wheel apparently cannot be used for visual observation using only the included parts. It seems to need either an adaptor ring to connect the nose piece to the camera adaptor, or a different nose piece with a female thread that can screw directly to the camera adaptor.

Am I missing something here?

.....................................................................................
Separately, I have already encountered a number of other problems.

The the small hex screws were badly over-tightened at the factory. It took almost two hours to loosen and remove them.
The included 2.5mm hex wrench was of poor quality, its corners rounded off on the first attempt to use it. I had to resort to a mechanic's 2.5mm bit to get the small screws off.

The larger central hex screw requires a 4mm hex wrench which was not included and was not mentioned in the instructions.

The page on their website with the instructions for using this item has a link so the user can download the instructions as a pdf file.
The resulting pdf file includes html and code from the web page that tries to force the reader to sign in again from the pdf.
Since you cannot do that in Adobe Acrobat, the file is not useable with the log on screen covering part of the directions and the text greyed out.

So far, I'm very unimpressed with these people.
Last edited by GCoyote on Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Astromania 1.25" Superior Quality Multiple 5-Position Filter Wheel For Telescope

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I cannot help but hopefully you will have it setup soon.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Astromania 1.25" Superior Quality Multiple 5-Position Filter Wheel For Telescope

Post by Bigzmey »

I have purchased Astromania 1.25" Superior Quality Multiple 5-Position Filter Wheel For Telescope from Amazon in 2017. It looks the same on photos as yours. However, that they might have introduced some changes since then. On mine I don't have any issues attaching 1.25" nosepiece on the scope side.
filter wheel a.jpg
filter wheel b.jpg
filter wheel c.jpg
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:19 pm I have purchased Astromania 1.25" Superior Quality Multiple 5-Position Filter Wheel For Telescope from Amazon in 2017. It looks the same on photos as yours. However, that they might have introduced some changes since then. On mine I don't have any issues attaching 1.25" nosepiece on the scope side.

Yes, the threaded hole on the scope side of mine is much larger. I wonder if they installed the wrong part at the factory?
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Time for a complaint?
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:49 pm Time for a complaint?

I thought I'd ask here to see if I was missing something obvious.

I've already contacted tech support by email with pictures and an explanation.

I can't escalate to WMDs because it's in New Jersey.
However because it's in New Jersey, there are other options.

Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

If you have further troubles, I can always call my uncle Vito..... ;)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

I've received a reply from customer service.

They have pulled the product off the web until they can figure out what happened. They are sending me a replacement for the item at no charge. Now we see how well they follow through.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

The part is being shipped but it's coming from the main plant in Asia, not the local US warehouse. Could take a while.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

So it turned out to be partly operator error.

The camera adapter was torqued on so tight I could not get it off.
There are no pictures in the instructions or on the website of the scope facing side with the camera adapter removed.
Never having seen one before I incorrectly assumed it was part of the body of the device.

The service rep explained it in better English than the original instructions and BINGO!

All set and ready to try multi filter observing! Now I need the weather to clear.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

UPDATE!

Since I now have two of these filter wheels, I'll be donating one to some lucky person!
First come, first served, send me a PM if interested, Sorry US Shipping only.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

GCoyote wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:10 pm UPDATE!

Since I now have two of these filter wheels, I'll be donating one to some lucky person!
This is a nice nice gesture, but are you sure you don't need two? I have one wheel with nebula filters and another with planetary.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:55 pm
GCoyote wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:10 pm UPDATE!

This is a nice nice gesture, but are you sure you don't need two? I have one wheel with nebula filters and another with planetary.

At my current skill level, one should be more than sufficient. I don't yet know if I will be using these very often or how much difference I will experience. Sky conditions, light pollution, and my eye health are currently bigger factors. I have a 130mm newt on the way that might help.

I'll just have to keep experimenting and see what works.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I would gladly pay the shipping to me if it is still available.

Cheers,
JT -- Proprietor - Rimrock Observatory
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 (C11 SCT) #2: 8" f/7.5 Newt/Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102mm f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ASI662MC, & ASI120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70° And: a box full of others
∞ Other AP Gear: EAF, Filter Wheel, Filters - L-eXtreme, UV/IR Cut
I never met a scope I didn't want to keep. "My God, it's full of stars." Searching the skies since 1966!
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

You just missed it.
Sorry!
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars