Counterweight at the Visual Back

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Counterweight at the Visual Back

Post by XCalRocketMan »

I have a tandem setup on my AP1100 mount: EdgeHD11 with a WO GT102 APO on top. I currently have the ASI2600 mounted to the GT102. Everything is balanced and I created a APPM model for the setup. However, when I want to move the camera to the Edge I need to rebalance the scopes and run a new model. Does anyone know of a commercial (or DIY) solution that provides a counterweight that could sit in the OTA's visual back and act like a camera of the same weight as the real one to keep the scopes in balance without the need to shift everything around and rebalance?
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Counterweight at the Visual Back

Post by JayTee »

This is the counterweight system I use when I have to balance my C11 OTA.
You can just see the counterweight inside the red circle that's what I use for both fore and aft and vertical and horizontal counterbalance. It's from ADM and it clamps to the Losmandy bar on the bottom of the OTA.

Here's another view.
JT -- Proprietor - Rimrock Observatory
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 (C11 SCT) #2: 8" f/7.5 Newt/Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102mm f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ASI662MC, & ASI120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70° And: a box full of others
∞ Other AP Gear: EAF, Filter Wheel, Filters - L-eXtreme, UV/IR Cut
I never met a scope I didn't want to keep. "My God, it's full of stars." Searching the skies since 1966!
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Thanks JT. But what I need is an exact duplicate of my camera's weight so that it can be placed either on the GT102 with camera on the Edge, or counterweight on the Edge and the camera on the GT102. This would make it balance regardless of where the 'real' camera was mounted.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Mikey,

I understand what you're asking for and I think it is a great idea, but I can't recall ever seeing anything like that. You may be able to fashion your own custom weight. A donut cutter used as a mold for melted lead might work. Or something similar to that. I have used tuna cans partially filled with melted lead to make custom lead weights in the past. I have used these as camera counterweights.

Cheers
JT -- Proprietor - Rimrock Observatory
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 (C11 SCT) #2: 8" f/7.5 Newt/Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102mm f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ASI662MC, & ASI120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70° And: a box full of others
∞ Other AP Gear: EAF, Filter Wheel, Filters - L-eXtreme, UV/IR Cut
I never met a scope I didn't want to keep. "My God, it's full of stars." Searching the skies since 1966!
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

RocketMan, Do you know the exact weight in grams of the camera you are trying to replace?
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

AstroBee wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:51 am RocketMan, Do you know the exact weight in grams of the camera you are trying to replace?
Yeah, I was going to do that and supply that info here, but I need to take my flats today before I remove the camera :)
But yes, the counterweight would need to be either the exact same weight, or adjustable some way since it might change the balance depending on where (Edge or GT102) it is placed.
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Mikey,
This is a bit of a heath robinson solution. What about buying a camera coupling that fits both telescopes - T2 screw or 2" barrel - anything whatever you use but preferably flanged. Glue a piece of wood to that item with super strength epoxy and glue two small v blocks to that to make a saddle. In the saddle, place a pet bottle with water. The size of the bottle needs to be big enough to match you camera and the amount of water in the bottle can be adjusted in minute increments by draining or adding water to match your camera's exact weight.

Then you can rebalance the scope redo the model and just switch them around when required.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

OzEclipse wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:31 am Mikey,
This is a bit of a heath robinson solution. What about buying a camera coupling that fits both telescopes - T2 screw or 2" barrel - anything whatever you use but preferably flanged. Glue a piece of wood to that item with super strength epoxy and glue two small v blocks to that to make a saddle. In the saddle, place a pet bottle with water. The size of the bottle needs to be big enough to match you camera and the amount of water in the bottle can be adjusted in minute increments by draining or adding water to match your camera's exact weight.

Then you can rebalance the scope redo the model and just switch them around when required.

Joe
^^ genius!
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

AstroBee wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:01 pm
OzEclipse wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:31 am Mikey,

Joe
^^ genius!
Wow, what a great idea. Thanks!!! I'll need to see if the geometry of my scope setup would allow this to be a practical solution.
John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

You could take piece of chromed brass 1.25 inch sink drain tubing, and pour in the required amount of lead. That tubing fits standard eyepiece holders. Buy at any decent plumbing supply section at a hardware store.
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Thank you all for these great suggestions.