StarShoot Auto guider won't connect.

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

StarShoot Auto guider won't connect.

Post by Gordon »

I decided to go out last night and set up the scope. Now I have used this same set up a number of times and everything worked correctly.

With that being said, I made a big mistake. Typically, I NEVER do software updates before I image. When I opened PHD2 I got a notice to update. Since I still had some time before it got dark, I figured why not.

Big mistake.

I ran the update and went to connect, and it won't recognize the SSAG. I checked the device manager, and it displays the SSAG as "unknown device". I've confirmed the drivers, uninstalled PHD2 and reinstalled it again. Also uninstalled the drivers and re-installed. Still no joy. Finally, after 3 hours I gave up.

Today I will try again to see if I can get things working.....
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: StarShoot Auto guider won't connect.

Post by Star Dad »

:Astronomer1: UGH!
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

did you try re installing the camera driver aswell, also did you try selecting between native driver and ascom driver in phd for the camera , i've had driver problems between phd versions with my asi120, atm the new beta v2.6.9dev5 version works the best with it, no drop outs, plus i get the option to use dual star guiding . if you havn't check it out , i get -0.10'' overall reduction on guiding. also make sure when you restart your pc or laptop that it dosnt' go into sleep mode, you want a full restart,even turn the power off on the psu , as windows will disable device and usb ports until restarted if it detects a problem ...
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

If ASCOM is giving you too much trouble just use ST4 and select "on-camera".
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Darn Gordon, that is one of the most frustrating things that can happen!

Like you, I avoid installs imaging night, but, I have gone ahead and done it and so far have been lucky.

Ron's idea sounds really good. Hopefully, just the ascom driver for the Starshoot just got corrupted. Henk has a good solution too. I have never used ST4, but I think that you have to recalibrate PHD2 after the flip?????

I also use a Starshoot and every now and then, the camera won't fire up. I have had luck by just restarting the imaging laptop and good to go.

It must be a ascom driver issue.

Best of luck!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

From doing some reading, it’s a fairly common problem. I’ve got a few things to try before I throw in the towel and get a new guide camera.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC

Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

My SSAG is about 10 years old. And after spending most of the day trying to get it to connect, I threw in the towel! New ZWO120mm mini is on the way....
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Gordon wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:54 am My SSAG is about 10 years old. And after spending most of the day trying to get it to connect, I threw in the towel! New ZWO120mm mini is on the way....
Maybe it will work with an Astroberry Pi. Mine is 8 years old and it works fine.

I ran the ASI120 mini with an OAG the other night, it's pretty noisy at F/4. Trying again tonight.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Did you try setting up a new profile in PHD2?
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

JayTee wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:10 am Did you try setting up a new profile in PHD2?
Yup, one of quite a few things I tried. It appears the problem is with the way the SSAG handles the connection to the USB port. Newer cameras have on board circuitry that handles the connections, the SSAG makes changes to the USB drivers on the computer. I attempted to fix the issue using info from an old post on CN with no luck. I’m done with it.

I was considering getting a new guider anyway so this just made the case for spending the money.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Sorry to hear you are having issues, Gordon. Sometimes we just need a kick in the pants to do hardware changes we've been thinking about!

If you don't mind me asking, what version of PHD2 started the trouble? I have an SSAG and want to see if I am at risk too.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

bobharmony wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:27 pm Sorry to hear you are having issues, Gordon. Sometimes we just need a kick in the pants to do hardware changes we've been thinking about!

If you don't mind me asking, what version of PHD2 started the trouble? I have an SSAG and want to see if I am at risk too.

Bob
I'm running the latest version of PHD2. It's not PHD that's the problem, it's the stupid operator that unplugged and replugged the USB cable while everything was turned on. My understanding is that the Orion SSAG doesn't like when someone does that! It has to do with coding an eeprom on the computer rather than the camera itself.

Just don't plug and unplug the SSAG USB cable while you have power to the computer and you should be fine.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Gordon wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:47 pm
I'm running the latest version of PHD2. It's not PHD that's the problem, it's the stupid operator that unplugged and replugged the USB cable while everything was turned on. My understanding is that the Orion SSAG doesn't like when someone does that! It has to do with coding an eeprom on the computer rather than the camera itself.

Just don't plug and unplug the SSAG USB cable while you have power to the computer and you should be fine.
Wow, that seems like a very specific issue that would be easy to stumble across. I'm kind of surprised I've never come across it before, as I don't pay that close attention to the cable connection order when setting up and breaking down. Maybe using a USB hub between the astro gear and the PC offers some protection. Plugging the hub into the PC is always the last thing in my sequence.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

I have used quite a few different vendors over the years, OPT was my 'go to' when I lived in So Cal as I could drive there to get my stuff.

However, moving to Arizona has changed a few things. First we live in the sticks, so it typically takes an extra day for anything to get here. Most stuff takes 3 to 5 days to get here.

In the past I have used AstroAgena a couple of times, mostly for small things. On Saturday afternoon I ordered a ZWO ASI120mm Mini from them. I got notice it shipped Saturday afternoon, so I figured Thursday or Friday. I was pleasantly surprised when it showed up in the mailbox on Monday at noon! Mind you this was the Free shipping.

Set everything up last night and captured images!
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Gordon wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:57 pm I have used quite a few different vendors over the years, OPT was my 'go to' when I lived in So Cal as I could drive there to get my stuff.

However, moving to Arizona has changed a few things. First we live in the sticks, so it typically takes an extra day for anything to get here. Most stuff takes 3 to 5 days to get here.

In the past I have used AstroAgena a couple of times, mostly for small things. On Saturday afternoon I ordered a ZWO ASI120mm Mini from them. I got notice it shipped Saturday afternoon, so I figured Thursday or Friday. I was pleasantly surprised when it showed up in the mailbox on Monday at noon! Mind you this was the Free shipping.

Set everything up last night and captured images!
Agena Astro is mind blowing fast. So far, when I ordered something from them (4 times I believe), I got it the next day!