Need guiding or suggestions for my equipment

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
TareqPhoto United Arab Emirates
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Need guiding or suggestions for my equipment

Post by TareqPhoto »

Hi all,

Last years i did what i did and i still like i am starting new, and all my decisions came late but i have no regret, the regret is only when there is something new coming out that we all don't know about at all so it make us like regret the past decisions, but hey, who is knowing the future here anyway.

I keep asking always about equipment all over, as i feel like my decision is based on the equipment details/description and not based on people impressions and experiences, so i try to take both into consideration, not all people experiences i must follow, as well not all what i read about the equipment in stores i must follow blindly, so in this case i will tell you my new latest plan i am looking for to do so you can guide me or help me how i should do it properly so i can be happy at the end of the decisions.

• I have three mono cooled cameras so far, which are: QHY163M, ASI1600MM-C Pro and QHY294M-Pro
  • I have 3 main scopes now and one isn't arrived yet, those are: Meade 8" F/5 and GSO 6" F/4 both Newtonian, and TS Optics 90 F/6 triplet
  • I have two filter wheels for my two cameras [ZWO and QHY], and i have two filters sets [except i need one more LRGB set to complete it], and also i am planning to buy Antlia Ha 3nm filter.

I am planning to buy an APS-C color camera sooner or later this year i hope, and also one extra scope, mainly it will be FRA400 with its reducer.

Now with above equipment, i will end up using like dual imaging system, if i add another scope later above that FRA400 for example then it will three scopes, but that will be at wider FOV, and i am also trying with people to finder the cheaper option/choice to buy a scope for long FL to match my 8" F/5, so i will be using like 2-3 systems anyway.

My concern is about the sizes of filters here, if i will use APS-C, it will be mainly or only for RGB, i am not planning to use it with dual/trio bands filters, and that means my mono cameras will be left for L and narrowbanding filters, my ASI1600mm is already having Astrodon Ha 5nm and Chroma OIII/SII 3nm all 1.25" size, while QHY163M has Optolong NB and LUX LRGB series all 36mm size, i don't know if i should change one filter here as Ha only so i go with 36mm or if i will use that Ha 3nm with QHY294 then i am open to three sizes, 36mm, 2" and 50mm unmounted, for the three cameras they are all small size sensor, 2" and 50mm are too much, is it worthy?

I have no planning to go mono again with larger sensors, it all depends on that APS-C i will buy later in colors, if it will do great job then most likely even a full frame camera it will be a color, and that will cover my need for RGB filters anyway, so in that case, with color cameras i will only use something like IR/UV cut filter or LP filter, and those i can buy at 2" or 50mm no problem, but with smaller sensors, is it worthy to go with larger sizes filters? And in future if i plan to go with a mono larger sensor such as a full frame then i think i will not buy ALL full sets of filters anyway, i will not use one scope and one camera forever, so i have to decide which filters sizes i have to buy according to my current equipment and future plan, buying something only to be safe or future proof is a good idea but it will prevent me to buy other things currently that i might use more, so a filter of 50mm costing me like $500-800 will prevent me buying another stuff at $200-400 for example, and that is why i ask here.

Also with the size, there is the idea of what way i should go, a filter wheel or filter slider with inserts? the only camera left is QHY294M with nothing, what should i use with it, a filter wheel or a filter slider if i will use only 2-3 filters anyway? and if i will use let's say autofocuser with all my scopes, it means i am trying to automate my setup, but i am using autofocuser only for focus, not to make all my setup fully automated, but i can think about it as the best idea, so what will you choose in this case, a filter wheel [electronic of course] or a slider?

I will get a budget soon that i will put it into a scope FRA400+reducer and something left, i wanted to buy Ha 3nm and then either a filter wheel or a slider, so read carefully and imagine if you have same setup how you will choose next things.

Thank you very much
    Telescope: SkyWatcher: Skymax 180mm F15 Mak, StarTravel 80mm f/5 ---- Meade LX70 8" F5 Newt
      Mount: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GoTo
        Cameras: QHY163M, QHY5L-II-M, ZWO [ASI174MM, ASI290MM, ASI385MC, ASI120MC(damaged)], Sony A7r + Canon DSLRs + lenses [Hasselbald, Canon, Sony, Sigma, Samyang], Hasselbald H4D-60
          Filters: Astrodon Ha 5nm, Cyclops Optics LUX-Series RGB, Optolong NB, Baader filters [M&S Neodymium, Contrast Booster], Skywatcher UHC & OIII
            Software: SGPro, PixInsight, APP, APT, DeepSkyStacker, Nebulosity, SharpCap, FireCapture, PHD2, CDC, Photoshop CC