do you believe in anti-vibration pads?

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
messier 111 Canada
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

do you believe in anti-vibration pads?

Post by messier 111 »

I was wondering if it's worth it to have pads.
my mount is on cement.
for a cg-4 mount.
thoughts?
thanks in advance .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Ylem United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: do you believe in anti-vibration pads?

Post by Ylem »

I am not sure if they would help much on cement, they might.

However, cement and pavement can wear down those little rubber feet on your mount.
So that is something to consider.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Ylem wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:18 am I am not sure if they would help much on cement, they might.

However, cement and pavement can wear down those little rubber feet on your mount.
So that is something to consider.
I agree that on a paved surface they might not help much except to reduce wear and tear on the tripod feet. If there is some machinery that shares the cement footing (like and air conditioning unit?) then they might help.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Refractordude

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

I tried these pads, but they did not seem to make a difference. The extension tube I added to the mount made a very big difference. It allowed me to shorten the tripod legs.

https://www.telescope.com/Orion-SkyView ... p/7393.uts
messier 111 Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Refractordude wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:24 am I tried these pads, but they did not seem to make a difference. The extension tube I added to the mount made a very big difference. It allowed me to shorten the tripod legs.

someone here has discussed this before and he was saying the same thing as you.
I will think about that.
ps do you have a photo of your extension by chance?

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

bobharmony

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I used the Celestron vibration pads when I started imaging. My experience is that I am better off without them for two reasons. 1) they didn't provide any dampening effect on my deck and 2) they made it very difficult to set the tripod up in exactly the same orientation every time making repeatable polar alignment more challenging than it is without the pads.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Refractordude

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

messier 111 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:27 am
Refractordude wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:24 am I tried these pads, but they did not seem to make a difference. The extension tube I added to the mount made a very big difference. It allowed me to shorten the tripod legs.

I will think about that.
Here is a photo. I think this Orion extension tube will work with your mount, but I could be wrong. Someone at the forum will know for sure. Left click the image.
Attachments
image 1.PNG
messier 111 Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Refractordude wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:38 am
messier 111 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:27 am

I will think about that.
Here is a photo. I think this Orion extension tube will work with your mount, but I could be wrong. Someone at the forum will know for sure. Left click the image.
yes I remember now, I saw your photo in one of my threads here.
show us your setup.
many thanks.

― Isaac Asimov

AntennaGuy United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

Not sure why you are seeing so little enthusiasm, here. I often use the Celestron (circular sorbethane containing) disks under the feet of my Twilight 1 mount with Celestron 6" SCT. They generally make a big difference, reducing damping time by a factor of 2-3x. I can see the effect easily in the eyepiece by comparing what happens with vs. without the pads, when I bump the scope (or simply adjust the focus). It may be if you have too much weight on them, that they don't work as well. My setup is relatively light.
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
Solsearcher Canada

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

I have used the Celestron dampers under my HEQ6 on pavement for solar imaging . In this situation the issue is that the pavement is rigid and this mount is not "hyper tuned" so any internal mount vibration will not be dampened out at the feet , instead it is bounced back into the mount head . My live view is steadier and frame captures are better when I use the dampers with this mount .
My preferred imaging platform is my Losmandy , it has a much smoother drive so the dampers make no difference with this mount .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Vibration pads really only work for lighter weight setups, usually below 9kg- 11 kgs.
Once you start putting to much weight on the shock absorbing material gets squished to thin to be of any benefit.

The Orion Skyview Pro extension column will fit a CG-4
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
messier 111 Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I noticed that the question of weight comes up often.
I want to put this with a cg-4 and a sw 120 ed,
the ed weighs about 11 pounds and the cg-4, 35 pounds.
maybe it's already too heavy for the pads.

― Isaac Asimov

smeyer8015

Post by smeyer8015 »

I all depends on the mount. When I first got my used C8, it was on a EQ fork mount. Everytime I touched the focuser it would take 5-7 seconds for the vibration to stop. With anti vibration pads it took less than 2.

On the new EXOS-2 mount, it's so rock solid I don't need them.
Celestron Classic 8, Old Sears 60mm f/15 refractor, Old Edmund Scientific 6 inch F/8 newt, GSO 2" Diag, ES 30mm/70, ES 25mm/70, Orion 32 Super Plossl, Mead 24mm MA,
X-Cel LX 18mm, Luminos 15mm, F/6.3 reducer, Luminos 2.5x barlow, Telrad, Celestron 9x50 RACI, DIY Baader Solar Filter, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Bresser EXOS-2 Goto, Revolution Imager R1

No trees were killed in the sending of this post. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

They are cheap enough, worth a try I guess.
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

messier 111 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:12 pm I noticed that the question of weight comes up often.
If you do get them, let us know how they work out :)
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

messier 111 Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Ylem wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:32 pm
messier 111 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:12 pm I noticed that the question of weight comes up often.
If you do get them, let us know how they work out :)
i will jeff .

― Isaac Asimov

Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I have a set of round pads like these. I see stabilizing effect on a wooden deck but not on concrete .

Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:10 am I have a set of round pads like these. I see stabilizing effect on a wooden deck but not on concrete .

I have the same item under Celestron branding. I used them more from a wooden deck where I found them indispensable. I would also use them as a mud guard for tripod feet when observing from soft ground after spring snow melts.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

i don't think pads will make a difference for the general setup unless really needed , i think it really depends on the surface you are using them on and the scope/mount, for example when imaging at high magnifications on planets, if i even tip toe around on the concrete it causes the image to vibrate !.

my main imaging scope at 1200mm fl has recently developed unbalanced fans that vibrate, i don't use them when imaging now as it oscilates the tracking and phd will try and chase this vibration thus in resulting in poor guiding ..
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

JayTee United States of America
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

When I'm on cement/concrete I always use these furniture rubber feet. They are very inexpensive and they work reasonably well.
Rubber Feet.jpg
Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."