Question about OAG

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Question about OAG

Post by lostone »

I have a quick question about OAG's in general. Yes I know some love them and some hate them.

I'm looking at getting an OAG for my RC instead of using a guide scope.
Once the Main Camera and the OAG are focused. How is the focus of an OAG affected when an autofocus routing in engaged and the focus has slightly change. Does this affect the focus of the OAG to be refocused or is it hands off after initial focus? I would really hate to have to go back out every 5 frames to refocus the OAG.

Mark E.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Question about OAG

Post by KathyNS »

The OAG is focused by making its light path exactly the same as the light path of the imaging camera. As long as the two paths are the same length, anything in focus on the imaging camera will also be in focus on the guiding camera. So an auto-focuser will ensure that the guiding image is also in focus.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin