Moonlite & SGP

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Moonlite & SGP

Post by lostone »

I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum, but here we are.

I have just picked up a Moonlite CLS 2.5" focuser with the new V3 stepper motor for use on my RC 10". I actually have 2 questions for the world if you would please.

1. Can someone who may be using this focuser and SGP tell me what are the find and course steps you are using for you auto focus routine. I know I could sit down with a calculator and spend about 2 or 3 hours figuring it out, but my brain isn't working the way it use to. and am looking for the easy answer.

2. I'm trying to find a quality Reducer to use with my RC that will work with this Focuser. Is anyone out there using one that they can recommend? The draw tube has a 68mm thread so It would have to marry up with it. Preferably one that will slide inside the similar to the APEX that I use on my Esprit 120. Also the 2 camera that I am using are the ASI6200 Fullframe and the ASI2600 APS-C.

Thanks for you help.
Mark
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Moonlite & SGP

Post by JayTee »

Can't help you with the course or fine settings. But I can help you with the reducer the one that works best with these RC's, and I have one, is the Astrophysics ccdt67.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

lostone wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:06 am 1. Can someone who may be using this focuser and SGP tell me what are the find and course steps you are using for you auto focus routine. I know I could sit down with a calculator and spend about 2 or 3 hours figuring it out, but my brain isn't working the way it use to. and am looking for the easy answer.

Specifically, dunno! But using the auto focus routine in NINA on my Celestron focuser is ok at 4 steps and a step size of 10. The problem was finding the in and out backlash setting. Lots of trial and error got me to 95 in both cases.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

The one thing I love about moonlite is the lack of a backlash on the focusers. The stepper motors he uses are so precise and topnotch. For example for my nightcrawler there is about 94,000 steps from racked in to racked out in only 1 inch of travel.
Graeme1858 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:37 am
lostone wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:06 am 1. Can someone who may be using this focuser and SGP tell me what are the find and course steps you are using for you auto focus routine. I know I could sit down with a calculator and spend about 2 or 3 hours figuring it out, but my brain isn't working the way it use to. and am looking for the easy answer.

Specifically, dunno! But using the auto focus routine in NINA on my Celestron focuser is ok at 4 steps and a step size of 10. The problem was finding the in and out backlash setting. Lots of trial and error got me to 95 in both cases.

Regards

Graeme
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight