Tip - red light headset

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Tip - red light headset

Post by Greenman »

For my sins, I am on leave this week and subject to odds & sods repairs to my 190-year-old cottage. Yesterday found me under the sink in our bathroom replacing the outlet as the mechanism that controlled the plug had snapped. As always this was a tight, dark spot to get into. Off I trotted to the DIY store to get my bits and pieces (B&Q) and I bought a cheap £12 headset (Dial 95w LED white light).

Once I managed to open it and activate the batteries (no mean feat given the minuscule non-written instructions). It worked well enough. Job done, I took it off an noticed the shape and size of the torch head. I wonder...

I found a Meade red filter - offered it up (internal thread down) and tentatively screwed into the softish plastic. It neatly cut a thread on the material and sat there nicely secure. Wow, serendipity is wonderful. 95 Watt and lower LED on Image.

Oh, you if press 3 time the white LEDs flash - useful to attract attention in those AP Emergency situations - clouds, clouds run for cover! :animals-dogrun:
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Tip - red light headset

Post by helicon »

That might work well helping to read atlases or star charts. Nice discovery.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

That's a great bit of ingenuity Tony to convert your headlamp into a red light too.

You saved yourself a lot of money as well.

I have a headlamp with mixed LED lamps of static white, flashing white and static red. The make is a Petzl and they are quite expensive though.

I would never have thought of doing what you did, so well done you.

I take mine out for moonlight walks in the Forest and for our skywatching to check our Planisphere or star charts (exactly as Michael just commented.)
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Thanks! That seems like a simple problem, yet we all seem to live with it. I'm sold. I can will see what I can find and report back.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice mod Tony!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255