Jupiter Filters

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
Jones
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Jupiter Filters

Post by Jones »

To really see planetary details you need a larger quality reflector. My 6" f/8 Edmund newton fills the bill. Got the mirror couple years ago off ebay brand new never used 40 years old for under $100.

The filters:
SVBony moon filter- saw a graph online for this filter and it showed near identical to the Baader Contrast Booster. It was no help on Jupiter and was making the image worse.

Baader Moon and Skyglow MSG- this filter works well on Mars but just so-so on Jupiter.

Burgess 30/60 filter- worked good on Jupiter with a 10". Too dark for a 6". He may still sell a version of this.

Tele Vue Bandmate Planetary- another no longer made filter. Kind of dark but works well on Jupiter. Makes the red colors really stand out. Also a stand out filter for the moon with achromats. All spurious colors disappear and the moon dirt looks brown just like earth dirt.

Omega Color Enhancing- new on ebay for $65. The best of this batch. About same tint as the TV Planet but lighter. Gives pink tint to Jupiter and makes the red stand out. Lite enough tint should work for any scope.

Next installment will be traditional color filters vs. these specials.
Arizona- where the sky's are not cloudy all night.

Triple lensed fracs are so yummy when looking at planets.
Jones
Mars Ambassador

Re: Jupiter Filters

Post by Jones »

At 1.5 a.m. Jupiter and Saturn are on the down slide of the sky.

The Blues- 82B, 82A . These take away the red color of the Great Red Spot it does stand out more as a dark spot. The GRS sure is small and not as red as previous years. The banding is also darkened by the filters and easier to see.

Vite MSG- one of those $10 direct from China filters on ebay and it works surprisingly well. About same as the Baader MSG. Will be interesting to try on Mars.

Omega Color Enhancing- still like this best. Reds are more red. The overall pink tint on Jupiter may be kind of annoying to some. Have to see if can see the second red spot with my 10" and this filter.

Jones
Mars Ambassador

Post by Jones »

20200716_131927.jpg

Jones
Mars Ambassador

Post by Jones »

Same # different tint levels.

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I use a B+W FL-D filter for use on Mars and Jupiter.
It enhances features on Mars very well, one of the best I have tried and also enhances banding on Jupiter to a fairly good degree.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:07 am I use a B+W FL-D filter for use on Mars and Jupiter.
It enhances features on Mars very well, one of the best I have tried and also enhances banding on Jupiter to a fairly good degree.
B+W filters are excellent quality and can be trusted to not degrade contrast due to superior optical flatness. Apart from the B+Ws that I have I use a lot of Baader filters. Also quite good.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I have a good assortment of Baader filters as well, M&S, Fringe Killer, Contrast Booster, Blue CCD (per JG) and a few others.
All good filters.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Jones
Mars Ambassador

Post by Jones »

What is a B+W fld filter?

KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

At some point, I need to invest in some filters - the only one I have is the generic "moon" filter that seems to come with EVERY mass produced telescope.

One of the problems is that there are SO many, and LOTS of information.

I gather the DGM NPB filter is a great performer, and highly recommended, but beyond that..... :confusion-shrug:

When I finally decide to invest in some, I will do more research for myself. :lol:
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I have tried many filters over the years. The best I like on Jupiter is the Baader Sky and Moon glow + Contrast Booster combo.

However, depending on sky conditions, aperture and exit pupil sometimes no filters is the best.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Jones wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:35 pm What is a B+W fld filter?
It is a photographic filter made by B+W designed to remove the green tint of indoor florescent lighting, it works incredibly well as a Mars filter.
FL-D (Florescent Light - Daytime)
You can find these still on places like ebay, the last one I purchased for a friend (3 years ago) cost 12€ total from Germany to Canada.
You can find reviews of its use and results back to the 2003 Mars observing season.

There are many photographic filters that work well for astronomy observing and in some cases a bit cheaper as well.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Jones wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:35 pm What is a B+W fld filter?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... D_499.html

I use B+W ND filters.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

KingNothing13 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:41 pm At some point, I need to invest in some filters - the only one I have is the generic "moon" filter that seems to come with EVERY mass produced telescope.

One of the problems is that there are SO many, and LOTS of information.

I gather the DGM NPB filter is a great performer, and highly recommended, but beyond that..... :confusion-shrug:

When I finally decide to invest in some, I will do more research for myself. :lol:
The Baader Moon & Skyglow is a good place to start as well, a bit multi-purpose filter for Lunar and planetary and combined with the Baader Contrast Booster as Bigzmey mentioned it can be a great combination.
Jones
Mars Ambassador

Post by Jones »

Found 3 FL filters on Ebay FLD, FLB, FLW. Used my 11
20200822_175241.jpg
5 f7 TS Optics scope, 4mm eyepiece gives 201 power. Jupiter looked nice without any filters, Great Red Spot was centered.

Tried the FLW first. Hey, there is a moon shadow in the equatorial belt opposite the GRS. Took the filter out and could still see the shadow, but it really stood out with the filter. Guess it dimmed the brightness and made it easier to see. The GRS was still red with the filter and the banding stood out better.

Tried the FLB next but did not like it because it dimmed everything too much and cancelled the red of the GRS.

FLD last and it is a lighter tint than the B and could still see the red of the GRS. Darkened the band's also. Would rate this as 2and best of the 3.