INSTRUCTIONS

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
seer
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

INSTRUCTIONS

Post by seer »

I obviously haven't seen the instructions for everything. In fact probably compared to a lot of you I have seen very little instructions for astronomy stuff never the less, a lot of what I see I think is terrible like for setting up and polar alinement. Things are not broken down and organized right and the flow is way off. I know that there are reasons why roadblocks are put into instructions. Could that possibly be what is happening here? Some people should try to correct this by presenting it correctly. Last night I was even thinking about taking a shot at it.
Donald
Tasco BRK Essentials Model: 169735 7x35, Celestron Cometron 7x50, Bushnell 10x50 Legacy WP, Oberwerk 15x70 LW, Meade Infinity 60mm AZ Refractor, Bushnell Deep Space 3 inch Reflector, Meade Polaris 80mm EQ Refractor, Meade Polaris 114mm Reflector.
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: INSTRUCTIONS

Post by Shabadoo »

:thumb:
I too struggled with polar alignment. My confusion was based on different wording in the telescope instruction manual vs the Synscan instruction manual.
I got help from fellow astronomers on another forum that I shall not be name.
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Shabadoo »

Have you overcome difficulties with polar alignment?
Do you need advice?
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Instruction/product documentation is a weakness in a bunch of the astro gear I have purchased. From the GSO coma corrector that came with no documentation at all, to the Celestron polar scope that had very little useful information, it seems to be the norm.

Luckily we have this community of supportive individuals to help us over the rough parts, and it seems there is always someone who has already walked down the road you are trying to navigate.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

Yes, documentation is a pet peeve of mine. Most product documentation is either written by the techie who designed the product and who has no concept of the mental process of the poor customer trying to use it, or else it is written by someone whose first language isn't English, and who has never actually seen the product but rather just relies on notes from the aforementioned techie.

The Skywatcher description of how to polar align an HEQ5 mount was literally impossible to follow. I had to study AstroBaby's and other polar alignment guides for a couple of days before I figured out how it was really done. I ended up writing my own documentation for the process. (Here, if you are interested)

There is a huge career opportunity for good technical writers. Convincing the manufacturers to hire them would be a problem, however. I learned technical documentation writing in the IT biz, and I offered my services to several manufacturers with atrocious manuals, but none were interested.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

KathyNS wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:26 pm Yes, documentation is a pet peeve of mine. Most product documentation is either written by the techie who designed the product and who has no concept of the mental process of the poor customer trying to use it, or else it is written by someone whose first language isn't English, and who has never actually seen the product but rather just relies on notes from the aforementioned techie.

The Skywatcher description of how to polar align an HEQ5 mount was literally impossible to follow. I had to study AstroBaby's and other polar alignment guides for a couple of days before I figured out how it was really done. I ended up writing my own documentation for the process. (Here, if you are interested)

There is a huge career opportunity for good technical writers. Convincing the manufacturers to hire them would be a problem, however. I learned technical documentation writing in the IT biz, and I offered my services to several manufacturers with atrocious manuals, but none were interested.
:thumb:
Thank you Kathy for this INSTRUCTION set.
I have added your link to my homepage. :-)
This is wonderful !