Red lights

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Red lights

Post by OzEclipse »

When running my astrophotography workshops last year, I would ask participants to bring red flashlights. This would include very specific directions how to make one from a $2 flashlight. They invariably turn up with anything but. Super bright headlamps that shine in your eyes when they look at you, handheld camp lanterns casting 360 degree light bright enough to light up a football field. Only a few would do as requested. We go to places so dark that once your eyes adapt, you can see by the light of the Milky Way.

So I have given up. For this years workshops, [ http://joe-cali.com/nightscape/2020-workshops.html ]

I've purchased these led lights [ https://tinyurl.com/vgl7xw3 ] to give out to each participant at a cost of about USD1.00 each.
led1.jpg

led2.jpg

In very dark conditions with fully dark adapted eyes, they work well. They use a CR2032 3V button battery and because the only have a momentary button, last for ages. My mate Greg and I got one each in May 2018. Both are still working on the original batteries. The battery can easily be replaced.

Below is the $2 red filtered white LED torch that is my other preferred astro light.

I cut a slot down the side of two pieces of PVC plastic tube that is just a little smaller that the diameter of the flashlight.
The red filter is ten disks cut from a red/orange plastic transparent file folder. One layer, is cut with 4 wings, these hold the filter in the tube. The 10 disks of red filter are simply stapled together.
IMG_0824.jpg
One split tube is pried open and clamps itself over the end of the flashlight.
IMG_0825.jpg
The second split tube is placed with the split oriented 180 degrees from the first and the red filter inserted.
IMG_0826.jpg
If I need a bright white light at any time, I just pull the filter out by one of the wings and put it in my pocket. I also have other lights.

The PVC tubes are a bit more robust but I have another with the shield tube made from a piece of a black cover from a plastic project binder folder held with multiple elastic bands and I used that for about 3 years before recently making the version with the PVC split tubes.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
yobbo89 Australia
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Red lights

Post by yobbo89 »

Good cheap mod with the pvc pipe!.that way you can still use your white light and just slip on your filter when needed.

Now we'll have star party and call it the red light district!

This is my 5th year I think 😂, I just purchased my very first red light haha, i never thought I needed one as I do astrophotgraphy until I tried to image and track the space station by eye! Pretty invisible after getting a flash of white led..

Attachments
20200123_223748.jpg
20200123_223808.jpg
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

My dark site has no power so portable lighting is very important to me for setting up, pulling down and during operations. Consequently, I always have multiple portable lighting types in my car.

I have one of these red/white head torches you describe. It's very easy to accidentally flick the switch to white and it will back diffuse into your eyes, the red beam is focussed. Although my little flashlight is focussed, the ten layers of orange plastic give a really nice diffuse light.

During summer, insects are drawn to any lights. the headlamps draws them to buzz around or in your eyes. The PVC baffle tube means that the light is only visible from the direction you point the torch and so it doesn't bring the insects in. When the insects are bad, I use magnetic bright white multi-LED lamps attached to things well away from my car and my scope to set up. The insects are attracted to the lights rather than my scope so I can set up in peace.

Joe

yobbo89 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:49 pm Good cheap mod with the pvc pipe!.that way you can still use your white light and just slip on your filter when needed.

Now we'll have star party and call it the red light district!

This is my 5th year I think 😂, I just purchased my very first red light haha, i never thought I needed one as I do astrophotgraphy until I tried to image and track the space station by eye! Pretty invisible after getting a flash of white led..

Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I've used ruby red nail polish and / or red tail light repair tape. Polish can be easier to apply, but it's difficult to get an even coat.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I use red nail polish on a flashlight - works like a charm. Though I'm thinking of getting a red head-lamp so that I have both hands free to look at my charts. (IDSA or Pocket Sky Atlas).
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

I've got an old railwayman's torch with a removable red filter. Good for astronomy and good for stopping trains in the dark in an emergency!!!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I had one of these as a little kid, i wonder if my parents still have it hahah. it will make good use for astronomy! .

i believe it did green/red and white light.
Attachments
61wmvn-7nKL (1).jpg
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Yes lots of torches are available with red filters or red leds. If you're working from a suburban area, there is probably some light pollution so that you need brighter lights and your eyes are probably not fully dark adapted so stray light coming from the torch is less of a problem.

At a very dark site, even red lights are often too bright.
The big advantage of having the PVC baffle or snoot tube is that the light only goes where you want it.
Using 10 layers of red-orange plastic not only dims but also diffuses the light to a nice soft patch.
IMG_0831.jpg
Cheers

Joe

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

helicon wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:31 pm Though I'm thinking of getting a red head-lamp so that I have both hands free to look at my charts. (IDSA or Pocket Sky Atlas).

A buddy bought me a Gander Mountain LED headlamp a couple years ago - solid red, flashing SOS red, and white. It's handy, especially since you can angle the beam down, but the solid red is very bright. I use it for camping and home repair, but If I used it for astro, I'd slap some red nail polish on it or add a layer of tail light tape.

Since it has an elastic headband, I sometimes slip it down around my neck - more comfortable but less aiming control.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:00 pm
helicon wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:31 pm Though I'm thinking of getting a red head-lamp so that I have both hands free to look at my charts. (IDSA or Pocket Sky Atlas).

A buddy bought me a Gander Mountain LED headlamp a couple years ago - solid red, flashing SOS red, and white. It's handy, especially since you can angle the beam down, but the solid red is very bright. I use it for camping and home repair, but If I used it for astro, I'd slap some red nail polish on it or add a layer of tail light tape.

Since it has an elastic headband, I sometimes slip it down around my neck - more comfortable but less aiming control.
Yeah I would paint it or cover with two layers of red cellophane.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Anybody use a dim *yellow* lamp to read field charts / maps? I'm having trouble with glare off waterproof / plasticized / laminated charts when using my red LED. It's either too dark to read easily or I get an annoying reflection if I crank up the intensity.

I've read that some ppl use music stand lights - don't recall if they paint them red or just attenuate the output somehow.
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

I use a little maglight that uses two AA Batteries. I have a roll of red cellophane wrapping material that I bought at a place called Hobby Lobby. I cut about ten or twelve layers of the cellophane, using the plastic lens out of the flashlight as a pattern. Stacking them up and putting a layer or clear tape around them, I put the pad of red between the original flashlight lens and the reflector. Add a lanyard of kite string to hang it around my neck and I am good to go. I end up changing out the batteries maybe twice a year. If I find a Maglight that I can put a red LED in, I will set up a new one. Batteries would last many years, I think.

Note: My theory for using the kite string is that if I catch the light on something, the string will break before hurting my neck.

I like your little light with the temporary button. I will have to see if I can find one. For the price, it would be handy to have several around.
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

I use the Zebralight H502PR headlamp. It has multiple settings. Photo Red only. It's the best red headlamp I have owned.

http://zebralight.com/H502pr-Photo-Red- ... p_175.html
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:33 pm I've got an old railwayman's torch with a removable red filter. Good for astronomy and good for stopping trains in the dark in an emergency!!!

Regards

Graeme
I have an old red railroad kerosene lantern. I fill it with citronella oil to keep the bugs away :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D