Yet another diagonal vs reducer related upgrade - Evo 9.25

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
Viktorious
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Yet another diagonal vs reducer related upgrade - Evo 9.25

Post by Viktorious »

Time for yet another cry for help when it comes to choosing diagonal. I have read the many similar threads and gathered some knowledge (too many to start linking). I have come some way in my process and now that it is coming to final decisions I would like to hear from the experts. Not many of threads I have read end with the OP returning to deliver some review/verdict of his/her final decision. While I wait for response on some thread where I asked about the result, the eagerness in me forces me to write my own thread. Perhaps some of the people asking these questions before can now answer in my thread as experts!

I have the Nexstar Evolution 9.25 and am currently using the stock diagonal. My eyepieces are the Baader 8-24 mm zoom and the stock 40 mm Plössl. I would also like to upgrade EPs and there I'm looking at something better in 24 mm range, as well some nice low power for more FOV. I'm following threads about EPs and SCTs with great interest for this (on CN). Can say that I'm currently leaning towards the 1.25" 24 mm ES 68° and 2" 36 mm Hyperion aspheric (if going 2" route).

I'm thinking 2 alternatives (including a budget alternative for one of them). I'm looking at Baader mainly for ClickLock (and expect good optics):
  • Baader T2 Zeiss prism with a 1.25" ClickLock EP (T2 part #08) -OR- the 2" prism with 2" ClickLock (splurging that is).
  • The budget alternative would be to get the non-Zeiss T2 prism instead for the 1.25".
  • Worth noting that I would like to get the Celestron f/6.3 Reducer/Corrector. This would be for future purposes of delving into EAA but of course I would use it visually as well (especially if choosing the T2 route).
The reasoning for my alternatives:
  • Go for the 2" Zeiss prism to theoretically get the best of the best in visual terms. I would make better use of the 46 mm baffle tube opening. Theoretically possible to combine with the R/C thanks to relative short light path (although not necessarily needed with 2" EPs). Downside of going to 2" accessories would be the cost, EPs, filters etc., on top of diagonal. Would not be able to spend all these costs at once.
  • Cheaper route with T2 prism (especially the non-Zeiss), not only diagonal but also the other accessories. Cost of the R/C would be comparable to e.g. the 36 mm aspheric and give similar power and FOV with the 24 mm ES, i.e. the 24 mm would act as both. Extra plus is the ClickLock clamp for 1.25" with built in fine focusing not involving the mirror. Downside of knowing that not all light coming out of baffle tube is used. To get the wide FOV (24 mm + R/C) I'm adding glass to the optical train (theoretically not a good thing).
I'm leaning towards the T2 as it would be a cheaper diagonal and for EPs I would only need the 24 mm and then the reducer instead of a 30-40 mm, so saving the expense of one EP. Then I would already have the reducer for continuing into EAA. The questions I hope the experts here can help with:
  • The old reducer vs 2" diagonal question. With R/C and the 24 mm I can get roughly the same mag and FOV as e.g. the 36 mm Hyperion (technically 38 mm vs 36 mm and 68° vs 72°). Also reading good things about the ES 68° and with R/C the EP should behave the same. Am I missing something here? The logics say that the I would lose some contrast with the R/C (not using full opening + adding elements), correct? Possibly flatter fields though (not important now, hopefully the EP threads might tell soon enough).
  • The Zeiss vs non-Zeiss T2? Big differences? I have read a few posts on this so most to get some updated views here (have read that Baader has changed some things over the years).
  • Using the R/C (f/6.3) with these prisms. I know f/7 is mentioned as "the limit" but also remember BillP's test where he was happy down to f/6 with the prisms (in 2014 at least).
  • Perhaps most important: have I missed some other obvious alternative here?
Maybe I have forgotten some question here but perhaps for the best as I assume those who have gotten this far are tired of reading now. Thanks for getting here though!

Thanks,
Viktor
Viktor

Scopes: Celestron Nexstar Evolution 9.25 (main), Sky-Watcher Heritage-130P Flextube (passed on to my brother)
Diagonals: Baader T-2 Zeiss prism, Celestron 1.25 Star diagonal
Eyepieces: Baader 8-24 mm Zoom, ES68° 24 mm, Celestron Plössls (13 and 40 mm)
Accessories: Celestron Corrector/Reducer f/6.3, Astronomik UHC, SW LPF
Viktorious
Earth Ambassador

Re: Yet another diagonal vs reducer related upgrade - Evo 9.25

Post by Viktorious »

@Moderators: Can't edit the original post. However, you may close/delete this thread.
Viktor

Scopes: Celestron Nexstar Evolution 9.25 (main), Sky-Watcher Heritage-130P Flextube (passed on to my brother)
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

Good morning, Viktor, I read your first post and then read that you want to delete the thread.

I hope you did not feel discouraged because you haven't received any replies here yet. This is still a growing forum, with only a tiny fraction of the membership of the other site you mentioned. I suspect there will not be a lot of people here who have the Baader 2" Zeiss prism diagonal, a very fine and expensive piece of optical equipment. I wish I had one! But we do have at least one member who is an expert on fine German optics [yes, that is you, JG!)]

So I hope you will stay around and not delete your very thoughtful post, and I expect you will receive some excellent responses.

Mary
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Voyageur wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:36 pm Good morning, Viktor, I read your first post and then read that you want to delete the thread.

I hope you did not feel discouraged because you haven't received any replies here yet. This is still a growing forum, with only a tiny fraction of the membership of the other site you mentioned. I suspect there will not be a lot of people here who have the Baader 2" Zeiss prism diagonal, a very fine and expensive piece of optical equipment. I wish I had one! But we do have at least one member who is an expert on fine German optics [yes, that is you, JG!)]

So I hope you will stay around and not delete your very thoughtful post, and I expect you will receive some excellent responses.

Mary
I second that sentiment. Viktor, your post is very carefully considered already. I don't feel that I can help. JG and others hopefully have more directly relatable experience.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Viktorious
Earth Ambassador

Post by Viktorious »

Good day Mary, no discouragement here!

I only wished to delete as my eager hands could not be held back, I have made my order. I only thought to delete the thread as I had went through with it and to not take the time from members.

In the end I went the "economical way" (not really as it was still the Zeiss). I ordered a complete T2 Zeiss + reducer for ~50€ more than the 2" alone. Since I would have to get a ClickLock VB or locking ring for the 2", the cost would be roughly the same. Then for EPs it should be enough with the 24mm for the T2+reducer whereas I would also need a 30-40mm for the 2" (150-200€). Other accessories (e.g. filters) would be pricier in 2". The want to try EAA would mean an extra 130-160€ for the reducer if I'd gone the 2" route.

So, scaling it down like this basically brought it to: was the 2" 30-40mm view going to be ~200€ better than the R/C 1.25" 20-25mm view? On top of that 200€ I would also be ~150€ poorer (the cost of the reducer) when looking at cameras for EAA. My own answer to that after re-reading some of the many old threads became: probably not to the extent of my eyes.

*The non-Zeiss T2 would've "saved" me an additional 100-120€ compared to the Zeiss T2 but kept reading that differences were "easily" discerned between the two, so Zeiss it was.

P.S. Still can't find any edit button for posts.. :S
Viktor

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Thread closed at originator's request.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin

Return to “Other Accessories”