Stop moving!

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Stop moving!

Post by Astroglide65 »

Hello everybody,
So I put on the Bahtinov mask, focus on Vega till the spikes are perfect and when I snug up the set screw the focus tube moves a little. It's got to where I have to "lead" it to the right and hope it squeaks into focus. I haven't had the chance to look it over but it sounds like the tiny rubber at the end of the set screw may need some grease?

Thanks,
Dano
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Stop moving!

Post by Shabadoo »

I hate it when that happens.
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

What telescope are you using?
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

It’s a David H Levy 150mm Mak-Newton.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I have that same scope and have not (yet) encountered that problem. But I'll be following this (and sign up to this thread by responding).
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

My routine has become to set the lock screw, check focus, release the lock screw, move the focuser, set the lock screw, re-check focus. My hope is the the lock screw shifts focus by the same amount each time, and setting it before checking focus negates its impact between tests. Seems to work ok for me.

It's a different focuser than yours, but that sequence works for me most of the time.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

From the pictures I can find of your telescope it appears to have a crayford focuser.
It may need a clean and adjustment to get back to normal.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

Well some grease didn't help.