Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Baader Morpheus.

Post by j.gardavsky »

25585 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:52 pm
Don Pensack wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:16 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:36 pm

But, that applies to any EP. Once you find the right eye position the EP works. :) My point was that for some EPs finding and maintaining that right position is harder than for others. Well designed EPs should guide you to that position and it should be easy to dial-in right height for the eyeguard.
Long eye relief eyepieces used without glasses always require some experimentation to find the right position. Some LER eyepieces don't have a tall-enough eyecup for easy use, but the Baader Morpheus is not one of them. If the extender is added and the eyecup is flipped up, even people who prefer to have the eyecups touch their faces can use the Morpheus eyepieces without blackouts. With the eyecups in the Down position and no extender is added, the eyepieces will be suitable for glasses use at the eyepiece, but the non-glasses wearer will find the eyepieces difficult to use. The "effective" eye relief of the Morpheus eyepieces is longer than the "effective" eye reliefs of the XW series.
Eye positioning is one factor, eye positioning and seeing the whole FoV, or being able to without any optical aberration, that is the whole equation. With Morpheus its solved, as much as can be, for me.

Why some optical designers can achieve this, but others with smaller AFOVs, seem unable &/or unwilling to, is a puzzlement. :think:
It also depends on the numerical aperture in the eyepiece design.

Changing the materials prescription, Baader has enlarged the numerical aperture on the BCOs, and herewith you get a more comfortable eye relief.
It is more tricky on the complex designs of the eyepieces, but again doable.

Best,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Moon Ambassador

Post by 25585 »

Up from my Morpheus, I have a 22T4 Nagler & a 20mm Orion LHD 80°, both 2" fit. The Orion, without its eyecup, is easier to see more FoV wearing glasses, than the Nagler without its eyecup. Effective eye relief, cupless, is not much different. However Orion is more tolerant of slight head & eye movement, though neither is anywhere close to how easy a 17.5mm Morpheus is.

Next FL best up for comfort is an Olivon 22mm 70°, or Pentax XW 20mm 70°, but those are 10° less AFOV.
Unashamed Linda Ronstadt ♡ fan! :dance: :Clap:

Eyepieces from: Aero, Antares, APM, Baader, Brandon, Bresser, Celestron, Datysun, Docter, Explore Scientific, GSO, I R Poyser, Meade, Nikon, Orion, Pentax, Rodenstock, Siberia, Sky-Watcher, Taiso, Takahashi, TAL, Tele Vue, TS, Vernonscope, Vixen, Zeiss.

Scopes from: Altair, Bresser, Lumicon, Orion Optics UK, Sky-Watcher, Takahashi, Tele Vue, TS, Vixen.
Piero Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by Piero »

I have the 9mm Baader Morpheus and compared against 9mm Nagler T6 and 8mm Delos.

In my TV-60 f6, it works incredibly well, on par with the 9mm Nagler, to my eye.
In my f4 dobson + PC2 it is okay, although it shows some minor astigmatism at the edge, which is absent in the Nagler. I find that stars are a tad tighter in the 8mm Delos both on-axis and off-axis compared against the other two eyepieces.

The 9mm Morpheus is very comfortable. I would recommend it for f5 and slower telescopes.
16" f/4 home made reflector with Lightholder optics, 12" f/6 redesigned reflector with Nichol optics, Takahashi FC-100FT f/7.4, Tele Vue-60 f/6
22mm TV Nagler T4, 12.5mm Docter, 9-7-4.77mm APM XWA
24mm TV Panoptic, 9 mm TV Nagler T6, 21-9mm Nikon MC1 zoom, modded VIP Barlow
30mm APM UFF, 25.1-6.7mm Zeiss DiaScope Vario zoom
AOKswiss AYO II on Berlebach UNI 19, Hawke Frontier ED X 8x32
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Piero wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:35 pm I have the 9mm Baader Morpheus and compared against 9mm Nagler T6 and 8mm Delos.

In my TV-60 f6, it works incredibly well, on par with the 9mm Nagler, to my eye.
In my f4 dobson + PC2 it is okay, although it shows some minor astigmatism at the edge, which is absent in the Nagler. I find that stars are a tad tighter in the 8mm Delos both on-axis and off-axis compared against the other two eyepieces.

The 9mm Morpheus is very comfortable. I would recommend it for f5 and slower telescopes.
Hello Piero:

Have you ever compared your AMP 30mm UFF to more expensive eyepieces with the same or close to focal length? If so what were your findings?

Thanks Sir
Piero Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by Piero »

Refractordude wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:30 pm
Piero wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:35 pm I have the 9mm Baader Morpheus and compared against 9mm Nagler T6 and 8mm Delos.

Hello Piero:

Have you ever compared your AMP 30mm UFF to more expensive eyepieces with the same or close to focal length? If so what were your findings?

Thanks Sir

Hello,

I'd be very happy to answer your question, but don't want to hijack this thread which is about Baader Morpheus eyepieces.
If you create a new thread, I'll post my thoughts. :)

All the best,
Piero
16" f/4 home made reflector with Lightholder optics, 12" f/6 redesigned reflector with Nichol optics, Takahashi FC-100FT f/7.4, Tele Vue-60 f/6
Moon Ambassador

Post by 25585 »

Most of my scopes are F5 or slower, a couple may be 4.7 or so. But with a Paracorr 2, the Newts are above F5.

However, bar severe astigmatism, I am happy to have easier viewing overall. Big apertures for me are to enable seeing more in direct vision - bigger, brighter, better definition - for everything, like a large computer screen or TV screen or sat nav, rather than more obscure detail. Same for eyepieces, big easy, and there Morpheus are winners! :observatory:
Unashamed Linda Ronstadt ♡ fan! :dance: :Clap:

Eyepieces from: Aero, Antares, APM, Baader, Brandon, Bresser, Celestron, Datysun, Docter, Explore Scientific, GSO, I R Poyser, Meade, Nikon, Orion, Pentax, Rodenstock, Siberia, Sky-Watcher, Taiso, Takahashi, TAL, Tele Vue, TS, Vernonscope, Vixen, Zeiss.

Scopes from: Altair, Bresser, Lumicon, Orion Optics UK, Sky-Watcher, Takahashi, Tele Vue, TS, Vixen.
Piero Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by Piero »

25585 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:31 pm

Most of my scopes are F5 or slower, a couple may be 4.7 or so. But with a Paracorr 2, the Newts are above F5.

However, bar severe astigmatism, I am happy to have easier viewing overall. Big apertures for me are to enable seeing more in direct vision - bigger, brighter, better definition - for everything, like a large computer screen or TV screen or sat nav, rather than more obscure detail. Same for eyepieces, big easy, and there Morpheus are winners! :observatory:
As I said, I agree that they are comfortable eyepieces. Optically, they perform really well above f5. One can also use them for faster telescopes, of course, although there are other eyepieces whose performance is clearly superior in this latter case. Hence, my previous post.
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

Having used them in scopes from f/3.45 to f/7, I put the critical f/ratio of them around f/4.5.
If you have f/4.5 or faster, there are better eyepieces.
At f/5 or faster, though, they're incredible bargains, and as good as any.
I'll back up Piero's comments.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

Don Pensack wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:01 pm Having used them in scopes from f/3.45 to f/7, I put the critical f/ratio of them around f/4.5.
If you have f/4.5 or faster, there are better eyepieces.
At f/5 or faster, though, they're incredible bargains, and as good as any.
I'll back up Piero's comments.
Oops!!!
I meant to say f/5 or SLOWER Sorry for the confusion.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor