Useful advice

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
rocdoc
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Useful advice

Post by rocdoc »

An Amazon box arrived, containing various household items. Before opening it, I engaged in a conflict prevention strategy: I explained to my wife that the Amazon warehouse employees are notoriously over-worked and under-paid. Therefore, it should not be shocking if they make errors, such as inadvertently packing a new eye piece in a box with household utilities.
I am here to tell you that in spite of the brilliance of this strategy, it did not work. She seemed to see right through this ruse, like an oracle. Just a PSA folks, I tried it, it didn't work, we need to think of new approaches.
The eye piece mistakenly packed into our box through no fault of my own is a Celestron Luminos 10mm, for use with my refractor. Love the design of my 19mm for this purpose. They do not work well at all with reflectors, but with simple refractors they are great for the price.
Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
Properly collimated cornea-lens-vitreous optical apparatus, projecting on retinal sensor slightly limited by deuteranomaly, feeding through stock optic nerves into functional primary cortex, processed through frequently misfiring and buggy integrative cortex.
Other instruments: Skyline 8" Dobsonian, on a dob pod; Celestron Omni XLT 120 w GSO crayford focuser and Meade 5000 diagonal on Stellarvue M2C mount and Meade LX70 tripod; Oberwerk Binos: 25x100 Deluxe IF on Benro tripod with Oberwerk 5000 head or Farpoint parallelogram; 10x50 Ultra, usually on 3 Legged Thing Punks Trent monopod with Dolica trigger grip head; 8x42 Sport ED hand held. Main EPs: ES 82º 24mm and 11mm, Celestron Luminos 19mm and 10mm, Meade UWA 14mm, Meade HD-60 6.5mm. Filters: UHC, 13%, blue. Finders: RACI, Telrad, RDF, reticle.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Useful advice

Post by UlteriorModem »

Always wait a day or so before ordering anything 'special' so it will be shipped separately. That way you can be more stealthy :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

I told my wife for the new OTA I bought it was funded from the proceeds of me selling off some little used EP's. Which is partially true. About 70% of it was. As she has no real gauge of the full extent of my inventory, I likely could have sold nothing and just told her that - BUT, I try to be a good husband.
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

I renovated the laundry to get my TV76: still cheaper than getting a tradie in to do the job (not that I would have pointed that out of course ;) )...
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

A few years ago I have ordered a small adapter from Amazon. Couple of days later I am getting an angry text from my wife: aren't we agreed on no more scopes?! Came home from work to find a huge box with Celestron 6" Newt. Honey I did not order it, they sent it by mistake! Ye, right, they just send scopes to random people! Looking back it was hilarious.

So, Amazon does make mistakes like that on occasion.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:10 pm A few years ago I have ordered a small adapter from Amazon. Couple of days later I am getting an angry text from my wife: aren't we agreed on no more scopes?! Came home from work to find a huge box with Celestron 6" Newt. Honey I did not order it, they sent it by mistake! Ye, right, they just send scopes to random people! Looking back it was hilarious.

So did you keep the scope for the price of an adapter? :banana-dance:
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

DeanD wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:41 am
Bigzmey wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:10 pm A few years ago I have ordered a small adapter from Amazon. Couple of days later I am getting an angry text from my wife: aren't we agreed on no more scopes?! Came home from work to find a huge box with Celestron 6" Newt. Honey I did not order it, they sent it by mistake! Ye, right, they just send scopes to random people! Looking back it was hilarious.

So did you keep the scope for the price of an adapter? :banana-dance:
Since I didn't not order it, no. I also had hard time convincing Amazon to take it back. Probably because it was not that good. :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Congrats on the eyepiece, Codrin!

I sneak nothing. If I tried to stealth a scope in, I'd be wearing it for a kickstand. :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I did something completely against the grain: I went to my wife with the truth and just the facts (presented in a way that favored the conclusion I was pushing!) I brought her out to see my current mount in action and pointed to the massive guiding spikes in both RA and Dec, then showed her the resultant image and how the stars looked like short bright lines. She said, and I quote, "Those images suck!" After that, she agreed that I NEED a new mount. YAY! So I will take my Xmas money (Santa always leaves me some) and use that and whatever is short, she will make up the difference. I referenced my post where I addressed my three different levels of mount choice. She said that she will help with Plan B only - but hey, Plan B is better than what I currently have.
Well, I thought I would break down my request to Santa much the way we instructed my youngest on how to structure his college apps.

Dream: 10 Micron, MESU 200
Plan A: CEM 60 EC, CGX-L, SW EQ8R Pro
Plan B: CGX, SW EQ6R Pro, CEM 40 EC

It seems apparent that these are pretty much arranged by price. I hope Santa doesn't have to rob a bank to get me one of my "dream" machines. Even if it winds up being a plan B mount, I don't think I will be "settling", these are all high-quality mounts.
So Yay.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

JayTee wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:47 am I did something completely against the grain: I went to my wife with the truth and just the facts (presented in a way that favored the conclusion I was pushing!) I brought her out to see my current mount in action and pointed to the massive guiding spikes in both RA and Dec, then showed her the resultant image and how the stars looked like short bright lines. She said, and I quote, "Those images suck!" After that, she agreed that I NEED a new mount. YAY! So I will take my Xmas money (Santa always leaves me some) and use that and whatever is short, she will make up the difference. I referenced my post where I addressed my three different levels of mount choice. She said that she will help with Plan B only - but hey, Plan B is better than what I currently have.
Well, I thought I would break down my request to Santa much the way we instructed my youngest on how to structure his college apps.

Dream: 10 Micron, MESU 200
Plan A: CEM 60 EC, CGX-L, SW EQ8R Pro
Plan B: CGX, SW EQ6R Pro, CEM 40 EC

It seems apparent that these are pretty much arranged by price. I hope Santa doesn't have to rob a bank to get me one of my "dream" machines. Even if it winds up being a plan B mount, I don't think I will be "settling", these are all high-quality mounts.
So Yay.

Cheers,
JT
The truth is always good: you don't have to remember the lie then! ;)

My TSA102 came about because I was increasingly frustrated with the views that my (unnamed) and quite expensive refactor was giving, despite two trips to the manufacturer for collimating etc., and my my better half became fed up with my moaning every time I came back inside. I think her words were "Just sell it and get one that you wont moan about." Music!!! (...and I haven't moaned since)

On a more serious note: negotiated (and mutual) "pocket money" as part of the household budget and that needs no justification to spend is a useful way to go. Just save up for a while, like when you were a kid... Perfect for relatively "low" cost items like filters, eyepieces, etc. It might take a while though for that dream mount JT! Although, as you say, Plan B looks pretty good...
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Since my kids usually give me cash for gifts now, I use that for astro purchases (plus whatever I've saved on the side).
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

My wife has figured me out. She now checks the bank statements for PayPal charges! But I have to admit that if I break into tears I can usually get by with only a slight scolding! :lol:
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I should mention that I've also used the proceeds from selling used gear to acquire things like my Manfrotto pod.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
stewe

Post by stewe »

I must be lucky, my wife is also an optics junkie, so she tends to understand... Plus I always have the extra argument that eyepieces better keep their resale value than her cameras and camera lenses (except when they are dropped).
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I kind of overspent my "budget" - on the ASI294MC - but I'm now content - and the wife greatly appreciates that. Except for my ranting on the weather. I'm feeling the pain, again, as the non-stop clouds, rain, and high winds thwart the new moon. I need at least a monthly fix of AP.

To compensate, I recently bought a cardboard "kit" dulcimer. Fun thing about those is that you can decorate them however you like. No precious wood is involved. So mine is plastered on all side with images I've taken. Probably the most expensive dulcimer ever made - well over $2,000 worth of images (based on the cost of AP equipment - mount, camera, number of images total so far). It makes me happy when I'm practicing to see those images. And a little sad that there aren't more. Someday there will be more, grasshopper. Moaning does seem to work for the expensive things. We have a his and hers budget/funding which the other doesn't get to complain about. It works wonderfully - even if I can't buy anything for another 8 months.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Hmm, I need some ideas before I order a new mount, hey it just fell into that box might not work ;)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Ylem wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:06 pm hey it just fell into that box might not work ;)

Maybe somebody hacked your account and the little pervs get off by sending random astro gear to people.