Discuss telescope eyepieces.
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Testing the eyepieces for dirt with pinhole imaging

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello all,

back in the days on the blue forum, I have been talking about testing the eyepieces, and here we are.

Th pinhole imaging is an easy tool to check out the optics for dirt and other blemishes, coming from the manufacturing, and from the later use.

The method is trivially easy, it comes from the elementary science of optics.
Take a needle, and make a hole.
In the case of an eyepiece, it is strightforward to take the old Kodak film barrel, and to make a small hole into its bottom,
pinhole on film canister.jpg
Then, you will hold the canister with the pinhole in front of the EP thread, and look through the EP against the bright skies.

Now, the next pic shows 2 situations, I have observed on 2 different eyepieces,
pinhole images.jpg
The bubble in the glass of one of the lenses comes from missing QC in the manufacturing process of the glass material melting,
and from the missing QC of the final product (eyepiece) - they should have seen it, ha, ha.
The dirt is a residual after not completed cleaning, nicely visualized with the pinhole imaging.

Thank you for reading and looking,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: Testing the eyepieces for dirt with pinhole imaging

Post by Lady Fraktor »

An excellent way to check your eyepieces!
Thank you for posting this JG.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Michael131313 Mexico
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Michael131313 »

Thanks very much for a great idea, JG.
ES AR 102 102mm, f/6.5, ES 254mm f/5 DOB, Obie 10x50, GSO SV 30mm, ES 68° 20mm, ES 82° 14mm, 11mm, 8.8 mm, 6.8mm, 4.7mm. Twilight 1 mount.
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Thanks JG, a great way to check things out. (Although, could this be the eyepiece equivalent of shining a torch on a mirror? ;) )

I had an air bubble in the centre of a brand new TV 19mm Panoptic: but it was big enough to see easily without the pinhole... Friday afternoon manufacture and/or QC? Needless to say, it went back from whence it came.

All the best,

Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Very nice JG.
Thank you for this tip.
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

DeanD wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:09 am Thanks JG, a great way to check things out. (Although, could this be the eyepiece equivalent of shining a torch on a mirror? ;) )

I had an air bubble in the centre of a brand new TV 19mm Panoptic: but it was big enough to see easily without the pinhole... Friday afternoon manufacture and/or QC? Needless to say, it went back from whence it came.

All the best,

Dean
Hello Dean,

they buy the glass materials which have not passed the QC for the cameras optics in the smart phones, just my guess.

Have you ever got an eyepiece with the "QC passed" sticker ?

You have squared the bubble right,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Thanks for this great tip, JG! :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Thanks JG! Brilliant thought that I never would have thought of... Now I'm almost scared to see what I'll find! :lol:

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Thefatkitty wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:31 am Thanks JG! Brilliant thought that I never would have thought of... Now I'm almost scared to see what I'll find! :lol:

All the best,
Whatever you do, don't point the pin hole at your wife!

I almost ate a Telrad once after point it at her and making pew pew pew noises. :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

bladekeeper wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:45 am
Thefatkitty wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:31 am Thanks JG! Brilliant thought that I never would have thought of... Now I'm almost scared to see what I'll find! :lol:

All the best,
Whatever you do, don't point the pin hole at your wife!

I almost ate a Telrad once after point it at her and making pew pew pew noises. :lol:
:lol: That is so funny! And of course, now that you've planted that seed... I'll let you know how that works out and what a RA finderscope tastes like :D

Pew pew pew... :lol:
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC