Meade 32mm Plossl Vs. GSO 32mm Plossl Vs. GSO Plossl 25mm

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Meade 32mm Plossl Vs. GSO 32mm Plossl Vs. GSO Plossl 25mm

Post by Refractordude »

Using a 120mm f8 achromatic refractor I tested both eyepieces on the moon, and Aldebaran a star. Aiming at Aldebaran both 32mm eyepieces showed a nice orange color. The Meade may have been barely noticeably brighter in color. Aiming at the moon I could see no difference in contrast, and no difference in edge distortion. Edge distortion has to be looked for with both eyepieces. Both showed the same brightness. I feel the GSO 32mm plossl is the better of the two, because the eye placement is way better than the Meade.

GSO 25mm Plossl Vs. GSO 32mm plossl, the winner is the 25mm plossl. With the 25mm I could take in the entire filed of view, with virtually no eye placement struggle needed. The 32mm plossl showed a tiny bit of distortion at the edge, but you have to really look for it. The 25mm plossl showed no edge distortion at all.

I also own the GSO 20mm plossl, which I tested against my 20mm Svbony Gold Line. Could see no difference in contrast/sharpness. The plossl was barley noticeably brighter. The Svbony Gold Line is the better of the two, but only because it shows a wider view.

https://agenaastro.com/meade-series-400 ... piece.html

https://agenaastro.com/gso-32mm-plossl-eyepiece.html

https://agenaastro.com/gso-25mm-plossl-eyepiece.html
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Meade 32mm Plossl Vs. GSO 32mm Plossl Vs. GSO Plossl 25mm

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks for the review Refractordude! If you have a chance can you compare them on Andromeda galaxy or Orion nebula to see which one show more if faint stuff?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Meade 32mm Plossl Vs. GSO 32mm Plossl Vs. GSO Plossl 25mm

Post by Refractordude »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:39 am Thanks for the review Refractordude! If you have a chance can you compare them on Andromeda galaxy or Orion nebula to see which one show more if faint stuff?
I would have to go to my darksite to do that, which I wont be doing for a while. I guest on very very faint objects the plossls would do a little better than the Gold Line. The plossls have less glass. Last time at a darksite my Svbony Gold Line 20mm knocked the Lagoon and Trifed nebulas out the stadium. So did my Svbony Red Line 15mm. A few months ago my Svbony 20mm did better than my Meade 32mm plossl on M81 and M82. The smaller exit pupil produced by the 20mm Gold Line darkened the background for better contrast. I just got these GSO plossls. I know I will be using the 25mm a lot the next time at a darksite.