notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Tele Vue Apollo 11 Special Edition

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:49 pm
AntennaGuy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:17 pm Ahem. FYI, I have been conveyed a message from someone who sought and acquired a statement from an employee of Agena Astro, specifically addressing a query about the connection, if any, between the design of this eyepiece and any eyepiece(s) used in the Apollo 11 simulator mentioned in the Televue promotional materials. Here is that statement: "It is not said in any of Tele Vue's communications that the design of this eyepiece is in any way related to the optics used in the visual simulator used to train astronauts during the Gemini and Apollo programs."
I am not sure if this was an issue here perhaps at that other site?
Though Mr. Nagler helped design the simulator optics people seem to set aside the fact that this was a team effort and not accomplished by one person working alone.
The fan club elsewhere tends to cause a twitch in my right eye at times.
I loathe cults of personality. They cause more than an eye twitch. With the decline of education in the US and the rise of empty reality TV cult figures like the Kardashians I think I may need to emigrate to avoid apoplexy. New Zealand looks good.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

For my wallet, I would have to call it an Apollo 13 eyepiece...
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If I am going to spend this amount of money on an eyepiece I would get the Nikon Nav-HW.
Two eyepieces and the EiC-14 for slightly less than the TeleVue.
Two great eyepieces and an incredible barlow all in one :)

https://www.apm-telescopes.de/de/okular ... ?info=2769
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

:popcorn:
Valen
Moon Ambassador

Post by Valen »

I have one. ordered it months ago. Since I am a Tele-Vue fan and Apollow 11 fan I had to get one. number 257 out of 300. Very happy that I got one. Goes with my other Tele-Vue EPs. Have not used it yet. Clouds. Of course.
Scope:Celestron: C8 Owned since 1976, Celestron EdgeHD 14 Mount: CGEM DX, CGX-L, Ioptron CEM120EC
EP: Tele Vue 8mm Delos, Tele Vue Ethos 21mm Tele Vue 2x Barlow, Tele-Vue 2x power mate, Tele-Vue Apollo 11 Commemorative, Celestron K12,25,40.
Camera:Canon EOS 600d Home Dome 10'
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

I have zero interest in this one, and personally would never pay that much for an eyepiece, even the Nikon. Me and my Pentax XW 10mm get along just fine. :smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

kt4hx wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:11 am I have zero interest in this one, and personally would never pay that much for an eyepiece, even the Nikon. Me and my Pentax XW 10mm get along just fine. :smile:
I agree on the zero interest on the TeleVue but if I had money left over from the astro budget at year end I would look at the Nikon, the Nikon SW are nice eyepieces as well, quite comparable to the Pentax.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:25 am
kt4hx wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:11 am I have zero interest in this one, and personally would never pay that much for an eyepiece, even the Nikon. Me and my Pentax XW 10mm get along just fine. :smile:
I agree on the zero interest on the TeleVue but if I had money left over from the astro budget at year end I would look at the Nikon, the Nikon SW are nice eyepieces as well, quite comparable to the Pentax.
So you have an annual budget? Honestly at my age, anything better than the Pentax would likely be wasted on my old eyes. In time I fear I won't be able to tell the difference between my Pentax and shoving a Coke bottle into the focuser! :lol:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Well I try to have one, I decided to set aside a monthly amount but I donated the allotted amount to a separate cause so no astro purchases this year unless I am gifted something.
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

Valen wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:32 am I have one. ordered it months ago. Since I am a Tele-Vue fan and Apollow 11 fan I had to get one. number 257 out of 300. Very happy that I got one. Goes with my other Tele-Vue EPs. Have not used it yet. Clouds. Of course.
1. Welcome aboard to TSS!
2. And... please let us know if/when your new eyepiece provides you with worthy views.
:text-welcomewave: :text-welcomeconfetti: :Astronomer1:
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
Valen
Moon Ambassador

Post by Valen »

I paid $800 for my Tele Vue 21mm Ethos. So whats another few hundred. Don't have any kids to inherit my money. Besides I worked my butt off all my life. So I deserve it. Yes the Apollo11 was expensive. So are our toys. If you add up the total cost, it can be shocking. It took me years to get my dome built. Did that in 2018. 10' Home Dome. To old to be setting up and taking down my C14 Edge and Ioptron CEM120EC mount. Was easy when I just had my C8 from 1976. Well then again my CGX-L mount was heavy. As for EPs every one has a particular brand. Like most things. As long as your happy. That makes it right for you. I think most of us would always like a bigger scope. Still happy though. Not sure how much I will use it. Have not had a clear night since before Christmas.
Scope:Celestron: C8 Owned since 1976, Celestron EdgeHD 14 Mount: CGEM DX, CGX-L, Ioptron CEM120EC
EP: Tele Vue 8mm Delos, Tele Vue Ethos 21mm Tele Vue 2x Barlow, Tele-Vue 2x power mate, Tele-Vue Apollo 11 Commemorative, Celestron K12,25,40.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I just dislike the marketing of it. After all it didn't go to the Moon and back. ;)

I view eyepieces as tools. Extra marketing hype is unwelcome. If there is more disposable income I'd rather give it away to a worthy cause (and do so) rather than reward silly marketing gimmicks.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Valen
Moon Ambassador

Post by Valen »

Al Nagler was involved in the Apollo program. He did some of the optics for the LEM trainer. I new that long before this EP was ever thought of. Never seen the advertising for it. Seen lot's of advertising for scopes. I do give to two different kitchen pantry's as well as a pantry for Veterans. I am a veteran my son gave his life for this great Country of ours. I even have the coins for the 50th anniversary. US and Euro. Lego LEM as well. Never did Lego's. Had to have it. Took awhile with 1087 pieces. Apollo 11 Saturn V had 1969 pieces. I have stamps and first day covers from when I was a kid.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

I know it's an abstract concept for most Americans, but not only do other countries and cultures actually exist, many also significantly contributed to the Apollo program.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scienc ... n-too.html

Yet what is overlooked is that while the great bulk of those involved were indeed American citizens, there was also a significant foreign contribution, in particular from Britain. One engineer was so important that President Nixon would later admit that without his work, the Moon landing of July 21, 1969 would have been impossible. ~ op cit