Discuss telescope eyepieces.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Something maybe not for Ozman ;)

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Volcano top budget orthoscopic eyepieces that seem to be downmarket Takahashi offerings?

https://www.takahashiamerica.com/other- ... eyepieces/

Also here

https://cloudbreakoptics.com/products/s ... c-eyepiece
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Something maybe not for Ozman ;)

Post by DeanD »

I wonder if they are made by the same Japanese company that is contracted for the Starbase telescope? They are still associated with Takahashi, and according to the blurb for the telescope: "It is Takahashi's goal to introduce beginning astronomers to Japanese quality optics, with the hope that one day they may become Takahashi customers. Takahashi prides itself on being 100% Japanese made, and is continuing that tradition with the Starbase 80." ... or (horror!) maybe they are from China. Interesting that they are selling a 25mm Kellner too.

Anyone have an idea about these? Any reviews vs the "real" Tak orthos or the KK's?
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Something maybe not for Ozman ;)

Post by notFritzArgelander »

DeanD wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:47 am I wonder if they are made by the same Japanese company that is contracted for the Starbase telescope? They are still associated with Takahashi, and according to the blurb for the telescope: "It is Takahashi's goal to introduce beginning astronomers to Japanese quality optics, with the hope that one day they may become Takahashi customers. Takahashi prides itself on being 100% Japanese made, and is continuing that tradition with the Starbase 80." ... or (horror!) maybe they are from China. Interesting that they are selling a 25mm Kellner too.

Anyone have an idea about these? Any reviews vs the "real" Tak orthos or the KK's?
My understanding is that they are made by the same company as the Starbase telescope, Hanamaki, under contract to Takahashi.
Takahashi announces its first entry level telescope, the Starbase 80. The Starbase 80 is offered by Takahashi and made in Japan under contract with Takahashi at a factory in Hanamaki, Japan. From the lens coating to the final assembly, every step is carefully performed by the skilled craftsmen of Hanamaki.
The coatings are only "fully coated" not "fully multicoated" so that would account for a price difference and also some performance difference as well. I'd not expect that these are up to the BCOs or KKs but they might be interesting to give a whirl.

NOT chinese made I trust. The Starbase line (scopes and oculars) is intended to get folks interested in becoming Takahashi customers, so I doubt that they can be bad.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5