Eyepiece help, suggestions.

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
17thCentury
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Eyepiece help, suggestions.

Post by 17thCentury »

Wanted some suggestions on eyepieces. I'm new to scopes.

The scopes is a 355 mm focal length 60 mm objective refractor Takahashi. I have two Ricoh-Pentax of 14mm and 3.5mm focal length. So I have a 25 X magnification and 101 X magnification.

I'm getting excellent lunar views with both the 3.5 and 14 mm eyepieces and I'm getting very pretty views of Jupiters moons with the 3.5. But I would like to maximize my views of Saturn's rings and Jupiters red dot - would getting a 3.0mm 0r 2.9 mm make a noticeable change ? and how much leeway do I have going over the approximate 120 maximums magnification of my scope ?

My second question is concerning the 14 mm eyepiece when looking at stars. My favorite viewing is spending hours scanning hoping to catch satellites passing and learning notable stars. My 3.5 eyepiece tends to be very dim on stars. I was going to try a good quality 10 mm focal length eyepiece, I don't really know what to expect.

Any suggestions on additional eyepieces to try that will add a new dimension to the viewing ? Any filters that are useful ?
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Eyepiece help, suggestions.

Post by Bigzmey »

With 3.5mm EP (0.6mm exit pupil) you are close to the useful magnification limit on planets. Still, under great seeing conditions you should be able to push to 0.4mm exit pupil. 40% increase in magnification, not revolutionary but quite noticeable. I get very nice results with Vixen SLV 2.5mm.

As for the second question, 14mm should already produce a nice result. 10mm will give you more power but less field of view, not sure if it will be more beneficial for looking at star colors or catching satellites.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257