Discuss telescope eyepieces.
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Rubber eyeguard for the eyepieces

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello all,

there is an interesting and well documented post on the stray light retroreflections on/in the eyepieces by lyl in Astrosurf,
http://www.astrosurf.com/topic/117244-a ... s/?page=35 in Astrosurf

The eyeguards for the adaptation can be found in the surplus sales of Hensoldt binoculars accessories,
https://www.ebay.de/itm/1-Stuck-Gummiau ... SwVH9b9CuU

When I will find some time, I'll will post on how they are doing,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Jones
Mars Ambassador

Re: Rubber eyeguard for the eyepieces

Post by Jones »

You can also get rubber eyegards on Ebay.
Lots variety.
Arizona- where the sky's are not cloudy all night.

Triple lensed fracs are so yummy when looking at planets.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

For some of EPs eyeguards are hard to find, so I am making my own from crafting foam. You can slide them up/down to dial the right height. I color code them on outside so it is easy to find the right size while observing in the dark.
eyeguards A.jpg
eyeguards B.jpg
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:37 pm For some of EPs eyeguards are hard to find, so I am making my own from crafting foam. You can slide them up/down to dial the right height. I color code them on outside so it is easy to find the right size while observing in the dark.
Great idea! If you are handy and have a few leatherworking tools, then could make an adjustable guard to service multiple smoothie eyepieces -- https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H365f1aef72e ... 1ade34.jpg

And if you want production stuff then check out various microscope supply places for a variety of rubber eyeguards -- https://www.qsmicroscopesupply.com/shop ... ye-guards/

FYI, when searching on Google you can get a lot of hits if you search on: Microscope "rubber eye cup", then click on the Shopping hyperlink.
https://www.google.com/search?source=un ... Al6BAgeEBI
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:37 pm For some of EPs eyeguards are hard to find, so I am making my own from crafting foam. You can slide them up/down to dial the right height. I color code them on outside so it is easy to find the right size while observing in the dark.
I have used those foam can cosies (I guess you call them?) for my solar scopes. Get the non collapible ones with a solid bottom. Cut a hole in the bottom to fit your EP and cut a few bits around the top to accomodate your nose/cheekbone.
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello Andrey,

this is exactly the way how I did an eyeguard for the eyepiece on my RACI.
Another advantage of the foam eyeguards is, they slow down the cooling of the eyepiece preventing a fast fogging of the eye lens.

Best,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

j.gardavsky wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:38 am
Hello Andrey,

Another advantage of the foam eyeguards is, they slow down the cooling of the eyepiece preventing a fast fogging of the eye lens.

Best,
JG
Hi JG, I have also recognized insulating properties of the EVA foam and use it to make dew shields for my scopes as well.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:38 pm
j.gardavsky wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:38 am
Hello Andrey,

Best,
JG
Hi JG, I have also recognized insulating properties of the EVA foam and use it to make dew shields for my scopes as well.
The insulating and black foam is quite helpful.
Many years ago, I have purchsad 2 very black door mats to make an lens hood for my 6" F/5 achro. And it also protects the lens cell.
And the same is on my 10.5x70 and 15x85 binoculars, and even on the Leica 82mm APO Televid.

This really makes a difference,
JG
Leica 82mm APO Televid