Question about a Celestron Ploessel that is part silver and part black

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Question about a Celestron Ploessel that is part silver and part black

Post by MistrBadgr »

I saw a 10mm Celestron Ploessel that has a silver side to the body with the normal red letters of a silver top. However, the top end around the eye lens is black. Is that still a silver top or something else. I have Halloween Plossels in 26, 17, and 7.5mm. If this one I saw is of the same quality, I will pick it up. Anyone know anything about an eyepiece decorated like that?
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Question about a Celestron Ploessel that is part silver and part black

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A image would help but offhand I have not seen one though that does not mean much :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

My mistake on one thing. When I went back and looked, it is unbranded. It looks just like the pictures I see of silvertops, but has that top end piece that is black and looks like the top on my Halloween Ploessels, The end caps look identical to the ones on my Ploessels as well.
I will copy over pictures as soon as I re-remember how to do it. I see no indication of where it was made and it is second hand. The Halloween Ploessels I have are stamped Taiwan on the barrels, But, on this one, I do not have pictures showing all the way around.
Bill Steen
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Mix Ploessel3.jpg
Mix Ploessel2.jpg
Mix Ploessel1.jpg
Bill Steen
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

So just doing a quick look around, I see Vixen/ Celestron 50mm from the early 1990 and a few 25mm and 26mm.
Some say Vixen/ Celestron on them but not all.
If it says made in Japan on the barrel I would get it.

*The only 10mm I could find had gray writing on it.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

I will inquire and see if I can find out anything.
Thanks Gabrielle!
Bill Steen
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

I have not heard anything back from the seller on this eyepiece. However, I kept thinking about the eyepiece and it was "ringing a bell" a little bit. I finally pulled out some eyepieces that came with my LX 70 8R Scope and also with my LX 70 6M OTA. Except for the color of the lettering, font, and the company name, this eyepiece looks exactly like the 9mm eyepieces that came with those scopes. If my guess is correct, this eyepiece came with a scope someone bought. Though they were in a hurry to get new products on the market at that point and could have gotten the eyepieces from anywhere, I am guessing they were all made by Ningbo Sunny Electronic Co of China.

I was not overly impressed with them in the f/5 reflector and did not even try them in the Mak. I need to take them out and see how they do in a long refractor. However, I do not think the 10mm eyepiece for sale would be worth the roughly $40 it would cost including shipping.
Bill Steen
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

MistrBadgr wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:27 pm I have not heard anything back from the seller on this eyepiece. However, I kept thinking about the eyepiece and it was "ringing a bell" a little bit. I finally pulled out some eyepieces that came with my LX 70 8R Scope and also with my LX 70 6M OTA. Except for the color of the lettering, font, and the company name, this eyepiece looks exactly like the 9mm eyepieces that came with those scopes. If my guess is correct, this eyepiece came with a scope someone bought. Though they were in a hurry to get new products on the market at that point and could have gotten the eyepieces from anywhere, I am guessing they were all made by Ningbo Sunny Electronic Co of China.

I was not overly impressed with them in the f/5 reflector and did not even try them in the Mak. I need to take them out and see how they do in a long refractor. However, I do not think the 10mm eyepiece for sale would be worth the roughly $40 it would cost including shipping.
Sunny was the owner of Meade, but I was unaware they provided eyepieces for Celestron, owned by Suzhou Synta Corp. since the '90s.
Early Celestron accessories came from Vixen, then Taiwan, then JingHua Optical, then United Optics.
Sunny might be a current provider for some things, but certainly not back when the orange lettering silver Celestron eyepieces were made.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I did another look around but the only 10mm I could find had different style lettering and were marked as 10mm Plossl (reverse of this one) and were most likely the Vixen/ Celestron.

Seeing the logo may help to get it to a year range as there were changes in it over time.