Parks Gold Series

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Parks Gold Series

Post by Bigzmey »

MistrBadgr wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:25 am The problem I have with the want ad is that I am asking someone to go to a lot of trouble packaging and sending me an eyepiece...doing me a big favor...and then paying them a cheap price for it. Better to wait until someone decides to sell their eyepiece on their own, then buy it if the price is within my range. If the price is too much for me, then I simply back away and nobody knows I was there. I hope that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense. I done both. However, don't feel bad for the seller. They would not sell something dear to them, people who respond to wanted ads have unused stuff sitting in the drawers, often forgotten. Then they see your ad and go: Aha! I think I have it somewhere, let's make some money.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
BFaucett United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Post by BFaucett »

Don Pensack wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:26 pm Parks closed their doors in 2012 and none of the products you see on the site are available.
In fact, all their products were sold or destroyed.
The website is still up due to a quirk in a very old architecture for the site.
There are several websites that still do business that use the same obsolete website architecture and the server farm can't shut down that one server without shutting down those businesses.
There is no one left who remembers how to shut down just one site in the server, so the Scope City and Parks websites are still up (though you cannot place an order).
I'm afraid the information you see is a bit of a time machine and you are traveling back in time a decade or more.

Every year, I see a new post like this from someone who doesn't know that Parks and Scope City are long gone.

I wonder who keeps paying for their respective domain name renewals (with a domain name registrar)? If the domain name expires then that takes it out of the DNS servers. The server wouldn't have to be turned off; it simply couldn't be reached.

Bob F.
Meade 5000 UWA 82° 5.5, 8.8, 14 ● StarGuider Dual ED 60° 3.2, 5, 8, 12, 15, 18, 25 ● Astro-Tech PFF 60/65° 5.5, 10.5, 15.5, 19, 25
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

BFaucett wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:14 am
Don Pensack wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:26 pm Parks closed their doors in 2012 and none of the products you see on the site are available.
There are several websites that still do business that use the same obsolete website architecture and the server farm can't shut down that one server without shutting down those businesses.
There is no one left who remembers how to shut down just one site in the server, so the Scope City and Parks websites are still up (though you cannot place an order).
I'm afraid the information you see is a bit of a time machine and you are traveling back in time a decade or more.

Every year, I see a new post like this from someone who doesn't know that Parks and Scope City are long gone.

I wonder who keeps paying for their respective domain name renewals (with a domain name registrar)? If the domain name expires then that takes it out of the DNS servers. The server wouldn't have to be turned off; it simply couldn't be reached.

Bob F.
That's a good and interesting point.

Checking out the WhoIs for the domain, it was last "updated" Aug-09-2019, and now expires Aug-26-2021, so I suspect it was renewed for 2 years at the time.

It's possible the owners could be keeping it alive, "just in case", as the Registrant is still listed as Parks Optical Inc.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

KingNothing13 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:24 pm

Bob F.

Checking out the WhoIs for the domain, it was last "updated" Aug-09-2019, and now expires Aug-26-2021, so I suspect it was renewed for 2 years at the time.

It's possible the owners could be keeping it alive, "just in case", as the Registrant is still listed as Parks Optical Inc.
If the renewal is done by an automated payment….
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:50 pm
KingNothing13 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:24 pm

Bob F.

If the renewal is done by an automated payment….
I had that thought as well, but after 8+ years, I would hope someone would notice and stop the auto-payment (even if it is domain name renewal, which is a pretty small fee). And if it is on a credit card, no card has an expiration date that far into the future. Mine all all about 3-5 years.

Maybe their host has a bank that they paid into, and it is pulling from that. /shrug

There are far too many options though for us, who are not "in the know" to be speculating on.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt