My Second Over $100 Eyepiece

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

My Second Over $100 Eyepiece

Post by Refractordude »

Just got back in from doing a shootout between my Meade 56mm plossl and my new Stellalyra 45mm Kitakaru RPL. The Stellalyra 45mm is just as sharp as the Meade when looking at Moon craters. The Albireo twins showed the same amount of color in both eyepieces. The Stellalyra 45mm showed a darker background as you know. The Meade 56mm is sharp close to the edge. The Stellalyra 45mm is about 85 percent sharp towards the edge. The Stellalyra has a wider field of view, but I had to remove the eye cup for this advantage. There is an easy to achieve sweet spot for enjoying the entire view without blackouts. The Stellalyra is lighter than the Meade, but feels just as well built. I also purchased with the 45mm a Stellalyra 9mm LER, which is excellent. The two were gotten for $245, which included shipping.

The Stellalyra 45mm Kitakaru RPL is advertised as having a 22mm eye relief. I should not have to remove the eye cup to take in the entire view. There is a no blackout sweet spot, but that sweet spot has to be maintained to prevent blackouts. I may just keep the eye cup on and move my head around a little for the entire view. Still a keeper. I now have all magnifications covered. No longer have to barlow my GSO plossls. Left click the image.
Attachments
image 8.PNG
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: My Second Over $100 Eyepiece

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on the new glass RD! Your collection is growing, good time to invest in a nice case to protect them from scratching and denting each other.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Used the eyepiece cup from my GSO Superview 30mm to replace the one that came with the 45mm RPL. It is a perfect fit that can be adjusted to two levels. The blackout and eye relief problem now solved. :D
Attachments
image a.PNG
image b.PNG
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Just got back in from testing all my eyepieces you see in the cooler/first post. The Long Perng LER 9mm is really a great eyepiece. I do not think a Delite 9mm can best it. It really is that good. I will never replace this eyepiece. Non of the eyepieces show ghosting or internal reflections on the Moon. However, the BST UWA 4mm and 7mm show a little kidney beaning that can be avoided with good eye placement. The BST UWA eyepieces also show glare as I move away from the Moon. The Long Perng eyepieces do not show this glare. The 7mm and 4mm BST UWA are replaceable.

The best of my low power eyepieces is the Celestron Ultima Edge/APM UFF 30mm. I am happy with all of my low power eyepieces. Doubt if I will replace them. The Starguiders are great eyepieces. I have no issues with any of them. Perhaps Delites can best the Starguiders, but at a greater price. I will bet my Starguiders can put up at least 90 percent of the performance of a Delite, and for less than 20 percent the cost.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Refractordude wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:39 am Just got back in from testing all my eyepieces you see in the cooler/first post. The Long Perng LER 9mm is really a great eyepiece. I do not think a Delite 9mm can best it. It really is that good. I will never replace this eyepiece. Non of the eyepieces show ghosting or internal reflections on the Moon. However, the BST UWA 4mm and 7mm show a little kidney beaning that can be avoided with good eye placement. The BST UWA eyepieces also show glare as I move away from the Moon. The Long Perng eyepieces do not show this glare. The 7mm and 4mm BST UWA are replaceable.

The best of my low power eyepieces is the Celestron Ultima Edge/APM UFF 30mm. I am happy with all of my low power eyepieces. Doubt if I will replace them. The Starguiders are great eyepieces. I have no issues with any of them. Perhaps Delites can best the Starguiders, but at a greater price. I will bet my Starguiders can put up at least 90 percent of the performance of a Delite, and for less than 20 percent the cost.
This is the most sensible approach RD. If you are satisfied with EP performance there is no point for looking for something else just for the sake of upgrading.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello RefractorDude. Congratulations on the new eyepiece and I enjoyed your "shootout" comments. There is nothing like having a wide range of focal length eyepieces to tackle an observing project.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>