Morpheus Vs ES92s

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
TayM57
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Morpheus Vs ES92s

Post by TayM57 »

How do these EP's stack up against each other? How are they similar to each other, and how are they dissimilar?

I know AFOV is how they are different. AFOV aside, what are some characteristics that set the Morpheus apart from the ES92s?
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Re: Morpheus Vs ES92s

Post by Don Pensack »

Weight. The 92s are 3-5x as heavy as the Morpheus.
Size (the 92s are 2", the Morpheus 1.25"). Like a coke can compared to a salt shaker.
Sharpness--the same
Contrast--the same or maybe a slight edge to the Morpheus. Hard to tell.
Edge distortion--obvious pincushion in the 92s, the morpheus vary from focal length to focal length.
Field curvature--about the same comparing similar focal lengths.
Price. The new US prices for the Morpheus are $259, while the 92s are $800. I think they may still be less in the EU and UK.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
TayM57
Earth Ambassador

Post by TayM57 »

The weight difference is pretty obvious, I agree on that.

If the contrast edge to the Morpheus is slight and hard to tell, then it's a toss up. Unbelievable how the ES92's have gone to $800.

Do you think the Morpheus EPs are easier to use than the ES92s, in the sense that the full FOV comes into view further away from the eye lens?
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Teleskop-Service is listing the 12mm and 17mm ES 92° for 322€ (no VAT price)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

TayM57 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:58 pm The weight difference is pretty obvious, I agree on that.

If the contrast edge to the Morpheus is slight and hard to tell, then it's a toss up. Unbelievable how the ES92's have gone to $800.

Do you think the Morpheus EPs are easier to use than the ES92s, in the sense that the full FOV comes into view further away from the eye lens?
The answer to that is focal length specific. Eye relief varies over the focal lengths with the Morpheus (greatest on the 17.5mm).
I found the 12mm 92° easier to use than the 17mm. Whether that was an interaction between long eye relief and exit pupil or the 17mm was just a tad harder to use, I can't say.

Suffice it to say, all these eyepieces are long eye relief eyepieces and usable with glasses. The exception is the 4.5mm Morpheus, which I found marginal for glasses use.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
TayM57
Earth Ambassador

Post by TayM57 »

That's interesting Don. I found the opposite to be true. The ES92 17 was easier for me to use, than the ES92 12. I'm guessing this isn't related to the amount of eye relief, but, probably due to the amount of SAEP and my observing style.

I like to hover where the exit pupil is. The flatter the exit pupil, the easier it is for me to use the EP. In that regard, I find the ES92 17 easier than the ES92 12 but the difference isn't significant. To an inexperienced observer like my family, the ES92's would likely feel the same.

I'm looking forward to using the Morpheus EPs. I'm very curious as to whether I'll like the 76° AFOV. The DeLites are great EPs, perfect for Lunar and Planetary. However, for DSOs I naturally reach for the A11/ES92s. I'm hoping the Morpheus will be an addition to that group of EPs that I have.

I looked through Swayze's 31T5 and his Ethos last night. I found that I don't miss the 100° AFOV as much so as long as I have the ES92's to whet my wide field appetite. In that regard, if ES ever released a shorter focal length ES92, I don't think I'll ever be tempted to wear contacts in order to use the 100° AFOV eyepieces.

I have my doubts on whether the Morpheus EPs are wide enough to satisfy my appetite for the wide views. But we'll see, as I have the 9 and 17.5 Morpheus coming in, as i bought them used.
Moon Ambassador

Post by 25585 »

I find the 17 ES92 easier than 12, wearing glasses. The 12 needs to be pushed firmer against my glasses lens.

Comparing 12.5 & 17.5 Morpheus against 12 & 17 ES92s, I find views are slightly brighter in the ES12, but more similar between the 17s. This may be because at higher magnifications, observing becomes more intense and triggers more alertness.

In any eyepiece I prefer pincushion to barrel distortion, having to choose one or the other.
Unashamed Linda Ronstadt ♡ fan! :dance: :Clap:

Eyepieces from: Aero, Antares, APM, Baader, Brandon, Bresser, Celestron, Datysun, Docter, Explore Scientific, GSO, I R Poyser, Meade, Nikon, Orion, Pentax, Rodenstock, Siberia, Sky-Watcher, Taiso, Takahashi, TAL, Tele Vue, TS, Vernonscope, Vixen, Zeiss.

Scopes from: Altair, Bresser, Lumicon, Orion Optics UK, Sky-Watcher, Takahashi, Tele Vue, TS, Vixen.