Updating EP collection - help requested

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Updating EP collection - help requested

Post by turboscrew »

Now that it's time to plan updates to my eyepiece collection, I need help from more experienced people.

Firs step would be getting a better Barlow. I think that a cheap Meade Barlow 3x 1.25" just cancels the quality of those intimidatingly high priced eyepieces.
I've been thinking about TeleVue 3x 1.25" Barlow lens. Thoughts?

I'm also thinking of getting ~20 mm wide angle eyepiece, but I've learned that not any such is good for my 300 mm F/4. Have to be careful with the selection. I think I'd like a 2" wide angle here.
Suggestions?
I've been thinking of Nagler T4 22 mm and ES 20 mm UWA (100°)

I'm also planning to replace a 10 mm cheap Kellner with some better 9 mm eyepiece. Suggestions? I'd probably prefer 1.25"

I'm also planning to get a 5 mm eyepiece (x240). That would be about the highest power eyepiece that has real use here. The weather is seldom good enough for x300. Suggestions?
I've been thinking of TV Nagler T6 and DeLite, and Pentax SMC XW.

The manufacturers don't generally indicate if an eyepiece is suitable for F4. Only sometimes. I remember seeing that Baader Hyperions are good for F/6 and forward, and that's why I never went for the zoom. Today, that note is gone.

I tried to go through the "Evolution of Eyepieces", but it doesn't seem to be that helpful for me in this situation. I guess the Naglers described there are older designs replaced by the newer type 4, 5 and 6? And I didn't find anything about fitness for different F-numbers.

And the manufacturers seem reluctant to give out the "design class" of their eyepieces.

This is to be carried out within a longer time period, to avoid total bankruptcy.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Updating EP collection - help requested

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Honestly just starting out I would recommend avoiding the higher priced eyepieces and get used to using the telescope and figuring out what focal lengths will work for you first.

Eyepieces like the Celestron XCel-LX, Explore Scientific 68°, Dual EDs (even the lowly Plossl) will get you out and viewing without spending to much right away.

I also would not recommend a 3x barlow, a 2x would be more than sufficient to start out.
The Baader VIP is a good one and can be used for AP if that is what you want to do later.

Be aware that you may also need a coma corrector with this telescope eventually.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I gather that you don't have an easy access to trading used EPs and also can't try before by. Because of this I would agree with Gaby that you should not jump on expensive EPs. If it does not work for you, you will end up with a pricey mistake. This would apply to super wide fields 70 to 100 deg.

To give you an example I bought Baader Morpheus and TeleVue Delos based on good reviews, but those two did not work for me at all. Baader Morpheus in particular, it was giving me headaches. Luckily, I can trade EPs on Astromart and CN with little loss (and I do this a lot :lol:).

60 deg EP are safe bet. They work well in all scope designs and don't do as much damage to your wallet. Unfortunately, XCel-LX and Meade HD60 are discontinued designs. However, Explore Scientific 62 deg, Dual EDs and TV Delites are still offered.

If your mind still set on wider FOV. I would suggest to go with Explore Scientific 82 and or 68 lines. They are good quality EPs and perform well in fast DOBs (and all other types of scopes to). Most of DOB users here on TSS and on CN use them and happy with performance.

Pentax XW line is arguably one of the best EP lines out there. However, they were designed for refractors. more specifically for spotting scopes. DOB use is a mixed bag. Some people like them in DOBs and some not.

100 deg designs are not for everyone to. From what I gather they are compatible with DOBs, however they are acquired taste, some people like them and some don't.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Agree with Gabrielle and Andrey on this. Getting to know the scope and learning the sky are the first priorities. Use what you have for a while, see what you like and/or dislike about them in your scope. Ask questions and seek opinions from experienced folks here. It is obviously good if one belongs to a club and can try out what others have to get first hand experience, but I know that is not always an option for many. Main thing is not to rush into expensive purchases before you really learn the equipment you have in hand. This will lead to better, more reasoned decisions on your part.

As Gabrielle mentioned, at some point you may wish to consider a coma corrector since your scope is f/4. Faster newtonians really push the capability of longer focal length wide-field eyepieces which are significantly impacted by the mirror's inherent coma. But that said, some folks are seriously bothered by coma while others seem more tolerant of its visual impact. That decision is best deferred until after you have settled on your eyepiece upgrades down the road and have experience with them to see how much the coma of your scope's optics bother you. All part of the learning curve that we must take on to get the most out of our chosen hobby.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

All the advice so far is good but there are some factors that haven't been accounted for yet. So there are questions to be asked.

Do you need to wear glasses when observing? Do you have astigmatism? I don't have astigmatism so I can take my glasses off for observing and use the telescope to do my corrections for my eyes.

If the answer to both those questions is "no" and you already have a coma corrector, Plössls are an economical way to fill out an eyepiece collection. "The Evolution of Eyepieces" has Plössls as good down to f4. You don't have to get fancy shmancy with them. The Vixen NPLs are just fine and break no banks.

I wonder about the glasses and astigmatism also since you are interested in a 3x Barlow? Such a barlow would make eye relief and wearing glasses less of a problem too.

All the Nagler type eyepieces are good to f4 with a coma corrector. The t4 Naglers are also the design with the longest eye relief. I had all the Naglers in my eyepiece collection but I gave them up because I found I prefer the TV Panoptics. The Panoptics are a modification of the Plössl design according to "The Evolution of Eyepieces". They suffer from less distortion than the Naglers and have longer eye relief than the Plössls.

When I had my f4 Newt my travel eyepiece kit consisted of the 24mm and 19mm Panoptic and a 2x and 4x Barlow and a coma corrector. That gave me 6 magnifications from 2 eyepieces.

The eye relief of a Panoptic is not as long as a t4 Nagler though so that gets us back to the questions of glasses and astigmatism.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:52 pm Honestly just starting out I would recommend avoiding the higher priced eyepieces and get used to using the telescope and figuring out what focal lengths will work for you first.

Eyepieces like the Celestron XCel-LX, Explore Scientific 68°, Dual EDs (even the lowly Plossl) will get you out and viewing without spending to much right away.

I also would not recommend a 3x barlow, a 2x would be more than sufficient to start out.
The Baader VIP is a good one and can be used for AP if that is what you want to do later.

Be aware that you may also need a coma corrector with this telescope eventually.
Do you think ES HR 2" coma corrector is not good enough?

Those 10 mm and 25 mm Kellners I'm about to get rid of, are the cheapest I found in the very beginning.
My idea of the focal lengths now is from about 20 mm to 5 mm. I do have a good 15 mm (TV Plössl) and a good 6 mm (Baader classic ortho).
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:06 pm All the advice so far is good but there are some factors that haven't been accounted for yet. So there are questions to be asked.

Do you need to wear glasses when observing? Do you have astigmatism? I don't have astigmatism so I can take my glasses off for observing and use the telescope to do my corrections for my eyes.

If the answer to both those questions is "no" and you already have a coma corrector, Plössls are an economical way to fill out an eyepiece collection. "The Evolution of Eyepieces" has Plössls as good down to f4. You don't have to get fancy shmancy with them. The Vixen NPLs are just fine and break no banks.

I wonder about the glasses and astigmatism also since you are interested in a 3x Barlow? Such a barlow would make eye relief and wearing glasses less of a problem too.

All the Nagler type eyepieces are good to f4 with a coma corrector. The t4 Naglers are also the design with the longest eye relief. I had all the Naglers in my eyepiece collection but I gave them up because I found I prefer the TV Panoptics. The Panoptics are a modification of the Plössl design according to "The Evolution of Eyepieces". They suffer from less distortion than the Naglers and have longer eye relief than the Plössls.

When I had my f4 Newt my travel eyepiece kit consisted of the 24mm and 19mm Panoptic and a 2x and 4x Barlow and a coma corrector. That gave me 6 magnifications from 2 eyepieces.

The eye relief of a Panoptic is not as long as a t4 Nagler though so that gets us back to the questions of glasses and astigmatism.
I do use glasses for reading - I have double images. I haven't needed glasses for stargazing, at least not yet.
For longer distances I don't need glasses (like when I'm driving).
I asked on Ursa pages (Finnish "national" club) about useful maximum magnifications, and it looks like 250x is often fine, but the weather rarely allows 300x.
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I think I have to go back to the head scratching phase.
It seems that quite many of good choices are "not available at the moment".
For some reason, especially in the mid-price area.
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:47 pm I think I have to go back to the head scratching phase.
It seems that quite many of good choices are "not available at the moment".
For some reason, especially in the mid-price area.
The supply chain for astro gear has been wrecked by the pandemic and hasn't recovered yet.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

turboscrew wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:52 pm I asked on Ursa pages (Finnish "national" club) about useful maximum magnifications, and it looks like 250x is often fine, but the weather rarely allows 300x.
Very rarely will you be able to use maximum magnification and the larger the telescope the more a large telescope can be affected.

If you have a ES coma corrector then there is no issue about it no?
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:42 am
turboscrew wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:52 pm I asked on Ursa pages (Finnish "national" club) about useful maximum magnifications, and it looks like 250x is often fine, but the weather rarely allows 300x.
Very rarely will you be able to use maximum magnification and the larger the telescope the more a large telescope can be affected.

The design is by Harrie Rutten so it should work well. Online reviews claim that the TV Paracorr is easier to use but I doubt that the extra $160 is worth it?
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I have not used the ES version, if it was designed by Harrie Rutten I expect that it would work as desired.
Expensive bits of glass either way!
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:08 am I have not used the ES version, if it was designed by Harrie Rutten I expect that it would work as desired.
Expensive bits of glass either way!
Rutten's designs are good. I have no idea what the innards are for this coma corrector. Hopefully ES executed his design to spec. There is gossip (at CN) that both the Rutten and TV coma correctors are good to f3. That's pretty irrelevant for visual use since eyepieces fail (almost always) at f4.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:42 am

Yes. I wanted to know what magnification they have actually used. Most of them said that in Finland 250x is the practical maximum. My telescope's theoretical maximum is 600x, but I think that 300x would be so rare, that I can consider that as unuseful - at least for now.

An yes, I haven't found problems with my ES HR.
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I think 22 mm wide (x55), 15 mm (x80), 9 mm (x133), 6 mm (x200) and 5 mm (x240) would be a good set of eyepieces for me now. I already have the 15 mm and 6 mm, and I can use the (questionable) 3x Barlow with the 15 mm.
The exit pupils would be 5.5 mm, 3.75 mm, 2.25 mm, 1.50 mm and 1.25 mm.
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

What do you think of Explore Scientific 9 mm 62° LER Ar 99€ and Celestron X-Cel LX 1.25" 5mm 115€?
The wide FOV is more problematic: The focal lengths tend to be too short (<= 18 mm) or too long (>= 24 mm).
Also, this might not be the time to update after all.
Only Celestron X-Cel LX is available. The other stuff seems to be hard to find at the moment, and I'm not willing to order outside Europe. I ordered some stuff from England a while ago (but after Brexit), and I ended up paying 444€ for stuff priced 260 pounds. Quite nasty surprise.
- Juha

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I'm not a visual person but from the little I do especially around Polaris, lol, my GSO 35 mm Kellner with a 2" GSO Barlow is good enough for me. I added a 2" 24 mm ES to it which is not worse but I hardly use it because the difference is not huge (and I had to perform major surgery on it to get rid of the ridiculously large eyecup). But with the Barlow it gives me 12 mm and I don't need to go any less than that so then I have 12, 17.5, 24 and 35 mm. I will use my 9 mm if I want to see blurry skies but I don't think that can be avoided by better quality on most nights. I like a wide FOV so that's why I use 2". What I have works for me and I'm no expert but also not totally blind.

Consider also the possibility that you will be disappointed by visual observing even with the best eyepieces. Since you are in limbo between AP and visual and the rabbit hole is already calling, see your other thread, try before you buy is a good idea. It is very easy to spend a lot of money on eyepieces. If you buy a CC get a 2" one that you can use for AP.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:34 pm If you buy a CC get a 2" one that you can use for AP.
I did. About 2 months after getting the OTA. (That is, at the end of last July.) :lol:

https://avt-astro.com/reviews/accessori ... rr-type-2/
- Juha

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

turboscrew wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:14 am What do you think of Explore Scientific 9 mm 62° LER Ar 99€ and Celestron X-Cel LX 1.25" 5mm 115€?
The wide FOV is more problematic: The focal lengths tend to be too short (<= 18 mm) or too long (>= 24 mm).
Only Celestron X-Cel LX is available. The other stuff seems to be hard to find at the moment, and I'm not willing to order outside Europe. I ordered some stuff from England a while ago (but after Brexit), and I ended up paying 444€ for stuff priced 260 pounds. Quite nasty surprise.
Both ES 62 and X-Cel LX are good quality EPs. As for waiting, since astro equipment backorders are wide spread it might be awhile before thing get back to normal.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:12 pm
turboscrew wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:14 am What do you think of Explore Scientific 9 mm 62° LER Ar 99€ and Celestron X-Cel LX 1.25" 5mm 115€?
Both ES 62 and X-Cel LX are good quality EPs. As for waiting, since astro equipment backorders are wide spread it might be awhile before thing get back to normal.
I'm painfully well aware of that. :-(
- Juha