What Are Your Future Eyepiece Plans, And Are You Addicted To Buying Eyepieces?

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Starship9
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: What Are Your Future Eyepiece Plans, And Are You Addicted To Buying Eyepieces?

Post by Starship9 »

I'm glad that I don't get on with binoviewing !

I was lucky that a UK dealer loaned me many eyepieces over a period of time so I got to try a lot out without any cost. Unfortunately the ones that I decided that I liked the best were the more expensive ones :roll:

I'm happy with my sets now though. Every now and then I pick up something new to try out but invariably lately I've let it go again concluding that I prefer the ones that I have.
I'm a visual observer based in the South West of England.
Moon Ambassador

Re: What Are Your Future Eyepiece Plans, And Are You Addicted To Buying Eyepieces?

Post by 25585 »

Get on the wagon, fall off, get back on again...

I want another Docter Noblex 12.5mm 84°... Bought a 2nd 17.5mm Morpheus....want ES to make more 92° long eye relief focal lengths... But no temptations, for now.

I need a new mount next.
Unashamed Linda Ronstadt ♡ fan! :dance: :Clap:

Eyepieces from: Aero, Antares, APM, Baader, Brandon, Bresser, Celestron, Datysun, Docter, Explore Scientific, GSO, I R Poyser, Meade, Nikon, Orion, Pentax, Rodenstock, Siberia, Sky-Watcher, Taiso, Takahashi, TAL, Tele Vue, TS, Vernonscope, Vixen, Zeiss.

Scopes from: Altair, Bresser, Lumicon, Orion Optics UK, Sky-Watcher, Takahashi, Tele Vue, TS, Vixen.
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

Starship9 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:09 pm I'm glad that I don't get on with binoviewing !

I was lucky that a UK dealer loaned me many eyepieces over a period of time so I got to try a lot out without any cost. Unfortunately the ones that I decided that I liked the best were the more expensive ones :roll:

I'm happy with my sets now though. Every now and then I pick up something new to try out but invariably lately I've let it go again concluding that I prefer the ones that I have.
I'm in the same boat--happy with what I have but occasionally trying something new to compare and usually passing it on.
My current batch is 20 but I need to whittle that down.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
Moon Ambassador

Post by 25585 »

Whoever administers my estate is going to have a lot of eyepieces to liquidise or distribute. Ditto other hoarded possessions and collections...

Eyepieces from: Aero, Antares, APM, Baader, Brandon, Bresser, Celestron, Datysun, Docter, Explore Scientific, GSO, I R Poyser, Meade, Nikon, Orion, Pentax, Rodenstock, Siberia, Sky-Watcher, Taiso, Takahashi, TAL, Tele Vue, TS, Vernonscope, Vixen, Zeiss.

Scopes from: Altair, Bresser, Lumicon, Orion Optics UK, Sky-Watcher, Takahashi, Tele Vue, TS, Vixen.
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

My last two purchases were the ES 92 degree eyepieces, and previous to that, the Morpheus set. At the moment I'm content with what I have, but if something new and exciting comes up, I probably would try it out.
Ivan
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

I recently sold off my Celestron 8-24mm zoom and Baader Ortho Classic 6mm eyepieces.

My next piece I ordered two months ago is an an ES 24/68 deg that has yet to ship.

In the meantime, I made an impulse buy on a Meade 14/82UWA. It's a nice eyepiece, but I'm already thinking of selling it as it is too close to my 12 and 16 mm eyepieces. Aiming for a minimalist set.
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

I did buy an ES 5.5 mm 100 degree ep a few months back, but didn't like it so sold it within a few weeks for the same price I bought it.
Ivan
Moon Ambassador

Post by 25585 »

Starship9 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:43 pm Most of my scopes and eyepieces were bought on the used market. With eyepieces it can be a good way to try something out and then move it on with little or no loss if it does not suit.

Many years ago I found that I really liked wide fields of view so that has proved quite expensive over the years.

While I used to enjoy using eyepieces such as abbe orthoscopics and supermonocentrics I've found that I'm happy to compromise slightly on pure optical performance in return for comforts such as a wider field of view, longer eye relief and a nice big eye lens. Must be getting old !
There are good bargains out there. I bought a 22mm Nagler for £250 not that long ago. If also you're not sure, or don't want to patronise a company (directly anyway), pre-owned is a way round.

John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

I cannot honestly think of any eyepieces I need. I might possibly buy a 6mm Radian and sell the 6mm Delos if opportunity for that arose. The 6 Delos is just too big and heavy.
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
Moon Ambassador

Post by 25585 »

John Fitzgerald wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:56 am I cannot honestly think of any eyepieces I need. I might possibly buy a 6mm Radian and sell the 6mm Delos if opportunity for that arose. The 6 Delos is just too big and heavy.
Try a 6.5mm Baader Morpheus. They are not too heavy. Shame there is not a 6mm (or 8mm) Delite.

John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

I said the above, then bought as ES-20-68. Help. :popcorn:
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

John Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:43 pm I said the above, then bought as ES-20-68. Help. :popcorn:
Good luck with getting help here! Most of us enable eyepiece addiction and aren’t so good supporting recovery! :Astronomer1: :lol:
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:57 pm
John Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:43 pm I said the above, then bought as ES-20-68. Help. :popcorn:
Good luck with getting help here! Most of us enable eyepiece addiction and aren’t so good supporting recovery! :Astronomer1: :lol:
Couldn't agree more, nFA; thanks to you and Gabby's "advice" I now have a nice set of KK ortho's! My wallet and I sincerely thank you both ;) :lol:
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

I just picked up a second Meade 5000 Series 5 element Ploessel, 9mm. I now have two full sets of these eyepieces (1 25" only) and a set of the ES 62 eyepieces, which are parfocal with the Meade's I have. If I can find a trinoviewer I will be able to view with all three eyes at the same time! :)
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

I used to be. I've since kicked the habit. I feel I'm in a pretty good place right now. The next thing will be getting ready for the eclipse in a few years. I sense a PST in my future.
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”