What Are Your Future Eyepiece Plans, And Are You Addicted To Buying Eyepieces?

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

What Are Your Future Eyepiece Plans, And Are You Addicted To Buying Eyepieces?

Post by Refractordude »

I am addicted to buying eyepieces, but out of a curiosity on how eyepieces compare against each other. I have compared all the low budget eyepieces such as GSO, Svbony, Red Line, Yellow Line, Vite Aspheric, and some low price AgenaAstro eyepieces. My favorite being the GSO plossl 25mm. The GSO plossl 25mm is super sharp and clear right to the edge with my 150mm f/8 and 120mm f8.3 refractors.

My future plan is to compare the William Optics Swan 33mm, Svbony 34mm, Bresser 30mm, and Masuyuma 32mm against my GSO Superview 30mm. I will most likely end up with the Svbony 34mm, but not if the Masuyama gives me a super wow difference in view. I love a long eye relief eyepiece. I will also like to compare the APM 24mm UFF with it's longer eye relief against my Olivon 22mm. Right now I am happy with my AgenaAstro zoom eyepiece. Barlowed it is a 12mm to 4mm in magnification eyepiece. Eventually the zoom eyepiece will be replaced with high power Delites. The Baader Morpheus 17.5mm, 12.5mm, 9mm are a must. Thanks all
Attachments
image 1 addicted to eyepieces.PNG
Last edited by Refractordude on Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What Are Your Future Eyepiece Plans, And Are You Addicted To Buying Eyepieces?

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I think I'm done. Scopes come and go (except the SV ED80 Access and the Intes MK66) but eyepieces are forever. OK well.... maybe Pentax XWs..... maybe Masuyamas.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What Are Your Future Eyepiece Plans, And Are You Addicted To Buying Eyepieces?

Post by Ylem »

I haven't been bitten by that bug yet... 😙

Must resist 😉
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Is that a stock photo RD? Because EPs you are describing in the post are nothing like shown in the photo. :)

As for me, I am not an EP collector. If I have an EP even a good one sitting unused I get a strong urge to sell it. But! I always push my equipment and my observing skills and went through a several rounds of EP upgrades to build a few EP sets optimized for my scopes, targets and observing style. It took me a few years. Used equipment classifieds like CN and Astromart became my best friend. With a little luck and patience you can buy and sell EPs without losing much money, so for the last few years I have looked through and compared over hundred EPs. At this point I am enjoying the fruits of my labor and not looking to try more EPs.

I will likely get a binoviewer soon and at that point would have to get a few EP pairs, but that would be getting extras of the EPs I already have.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

some Delos again, a pure happiness for me.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Refractordude wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:04 pm I am addicted to buying eyepieces, but out of a curiosity on how eyepieces compare against each other. I have compared all the low budget eyepieces such as GSO, Svbony, Red Line, Yellow Line, Vite Aspheric, and some low price AgenaAstro eyepieces. My favorite being the GSO plossl 25mm. The GSO plossl 25mm is super sharp and clear right to the edge with my 150mm f/8 and 120mm f8.3 refractors.

My future plan is to compare the William Optics Swan 33mm, Svbony 34mm, Bresser 30mm, and Masuyuma 32mm against my GSO Superview 30mm. I will most likely end up with the Svbony 34mm, but not if the Masuyama gives me a super wow difference in view. I love a long eye relief eyepiece. I will also like to compare the APM 24mm UFF with it's longer eye relief against my Olivon 22mm. Right now I am happy with my AgenaAstro zoom eyepiece. Barlowed it is a 12mm to 4mm in magnification eyepiece. Eventually the zoom eyepiece will be replaced with high power Delites. The Baader Morpheus 17.5mm, 12.5mm, 9mm are a must. Thanks all
you have what it takes to have a store of your own.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

messier 111 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:29 am
Refractordude wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:04 pm I am addicted to buying eyepieces, but out of a curiosity on how eyepieces compare against each other. I have compared all the low budget eyepieces such as GSO, Svbony, Red Line, Yellow Line, Vite Aspheric, and some low price AgenaAstro eyepieces. My favorite being the GSO plossl 25mm. The GSO plossl 25mm is super sharp and clear right to the edge with my 150mm f/8 and 120mm f8.3 refractors.

These are not my eyepieces. I found the image on the WWW. I counted close to seventy eyepieces in the image.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

This is what a lot of people are saying about the Delites. For high power the Delites just may be the best available. What say you? Left click the image.
Attachments
image 2.PNG
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I got over my eyepiece purchasing thankfully a few years ago and have a ridiculous amount of them though I am slowly selling a few here and there when the prices are good.
Very Good to Mint condition collectables can be considered investments if you are just looking to buy and sell (I normally do not) as the prices for rare ones have never really gone down much.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

For me, it is shaping up to be some ES 52 degree and maybe some 62 degree eyepieces. I need to do some testing of a few first before starting a buying program. I guess I am a collector by default. I am actually a relatively low priced eyepiece buyer. However, I do not seem to be a seller. I traded away a set of Televue Plossels and a couple other eyepieces, and have given away lots of Meade Plossels with scopes to kids. My inventory of eyepieces has definitely grown over the years.
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

A few years ago I bought 3 Tele Vue eyepieces and a Tele Vue Big barlow secondhand : 7 and 13mm Naglers and 27mm Panoptic. This showed me how great visual observation with a big Dobson and decent eyepieces can be! The 7mm with the big barlow is bulky but makes a good 3.5mm but I do need somthing wider and I think the 35mm Panoptic will be Ideal for this, It is the widest that I can go with my 15" Obsession with Paracorr II (35mm/F5.17=6.8mm) exist pupil and also the widest with my F10,2000mm SCT before vignetting appears. So far I have not been able to justify the $390 but the Rand have been strengthening against the $...so maybe later this year.....

PS my 60 birthday is coming up later this year......that would be a great birthday present !
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Refractordude wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:51 am
messier 111 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:29 am

These are not my eyepieces. I found the image on the WWW. I counted close to seventy eyepieces in the image.
You could have fooled me! Good to know it wasn't you, to each their own of course

I gave some eyepieces away along with my 10" Dob to someone who would use it. My favorite one is the 35 mm 2" GSO, I use it with or without the GSO 1.5x or 2x Barlow. I have a 9 mm that, with the Barlow, gets me 35, 17.5, 9 and 4.5 mm, enough for me. I splurged one time on a 2" 24mm Luminos eyepiece that was not made for people with a large nose so I had to cut the entire plastic enclosure off. I see it in the upper right of the picture, a horrible design. It's a good eyepiece indeed and that's my collection. I don't see myself buying more, this set works fine.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

I think I have enough of the right eyepieces now. I might even sell off a few. Shipping is getting so high now it's hardly worth it unless it's a sale well over $100.
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

John Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:20 pm I think I have enough of the right eyepieces now. I might even sell off a few. Shipping is getting so high now it's hardly worth it unless it's a sale well over $100.
Amazon pays for return shipping. I always check with Amazon and Walmart first. One must make sure the seller is actually Walmart/Amazon not a vendor. Amazon is selling a few of the Pentax eyepieces.
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

The evolution of EP acquisition has led me to a few conclusions.
The big surprise for me was that I do not need a big box of EP. I just need to acquire the ones that work with my refractors in the ranges of FOV and depths of magnification that are practical for my kit.
When I go out now I usually only take 3 EP with me. I do have a box full, but most are no longer actively used.
The three I am particularly partial to are:
12.5mm Docter
22mm TeleVue Panoptic
And a cheep 40mm Meade plossl

And just in case I want more from the 12.5 docter I bring a 2X TV Barlow .

I admit...I only came to this conclusion after spending several thousands of dollars filling the box that I mentioned earlier.

As in evolution it is for me the survival of the fittest as far as EP are concerned...which ones are the fittest for my style of observing and the telescopes I use.

Keep collecting RD !
It is part of the pleasure in this activity to compare and discover !
Peace!
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

Refractordude wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:20 am
John Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:20 pm I think I have enough of the right eyepieces now. I might even sell off a few. Shipping is getting so high now it's hardly worth it unless it's a sale well over $100.
Amazon pays for return shipping. I always check with Amazon and Walmart first. One must make sure the seller is actually Walmart/Amazon not a vendor. Amazon is selling a few of the Pentax eyepieces.
I was speaking of my selling off eyepieces as an individual. I don't need to buy any more. I'd never buy eyepieces from Amazon or WalMart. Astro dealers only, who know their product.
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

John Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:19 am
I was speaking of my selling off eyepieces as an individual. I don't need to buy any more. I'd never buy eyepieces from Amazon or WalMart. Astro dealers only, who know their product.
I agree about buying gear from dedicated astro stores. The value of free returns doesn't compensate for the loss of an intelligent conversation about gear.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:23 am
I agree about buying gear from dedicated astro stores. The value of free returns doesn't compensate for the loss of an intelligent conversation about gear.
Not sure I agree with the sentiment. The guys who work at dedicated astro stores not necessary observers themselves. Would you follow a car dealer advice on what accessories to get on a new car?

I do shop at and recommend astro stores, but mainly because they have stuff not available on Amazon. Otherwise it is a fair game. :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:21 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:23 am

Not sure I agree with the sentiment. The guys who work at dedicated astro stores not necessary observers themselves. Would you follow a car dealer advice on what accessories to get on a new car?

I do shop at and recommend astro stores, but mainly because they have stuff not available on Amazon. Otherwise it is a fair game. :lol:
Well I only shop at astro stores where there are folks who observe. YMMV of course. I can talk to the person and assess whether they know anything.

No car dealer has ever successfully sold me something I didn't want. They all drive, though. ;)
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Nakedgun »

Having recently taken advantage of a Vixen sale on their HR line (bought the 2.4 & 1.6) I have run out of reasons to buy any more.

Everything's covered, from orthos to hyper-wides.
"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin