Discuss telescope eyepieces.
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Explore scientific 12mm 92 degree.

Post by NGC 1365 »

My viewing preferences have changed recently to long eye relief eyepieces. I've been using 82 and 100 degree eyepieces in my 18 inch scope for over a decade now and even though the shorter eyerelief doesn't bother me ( I don't wear glasses for viewing) I find I prefer the longer eye relief of the Pentax XW's, Delos and especially the Morpheus range. So much so, that I've started to cull the Ethos and nagler range, the 8 Ethos being replaced by the 9 Morpheus. I find that in my 18 inch, the 14-11mm focal length range is the sweet spot for a lot of my observing, and majority of nights are spent with only an eyepiece from this range. My main eyepieces in this range have been the Ethos 13mm, or ES 14mm ( I won this one in a raffle draw a few years ago). I recently added a 12.5 Morpheus and this has all but replaced the other two in that range. The Morpheus has better transmission than the other two, and a respectable 76 degree AFOV. But I still miss the wider view, but wanted more eye relief, which led me to the ES 92 degree range.
I recently bought the 12 mm and after a few days it arrived without the dreaded cloud curse- four clear days in a row, but seeing for the first three was below average. The fourth night was perfect. The moon was setting around 10pm so I hauled out the scope an hour previous, and by the time the moon had set, the scope was ready. The first view through the ES was of M42 and Eta Carina, which were spectacular, and then followed by 47 Tucanae and then onto the Fornax galaxy cluster, NGC 1566 ( the spanish dancer in Dorado) and finishing off with the Hydra 1 galaxy cluster. I did a comparison with the 13 Ethos, 14 ES and 12.5 Morpheus. The Morpheus was ahead in contrast, especially on galaxies, followed equally by the 14 ES 100 and 12 ES 92 then the 13 Ethos. The sky background was greyer in the Ethos, and darker in the other three. Stars appeared (to my eyes) the same in all of them, ( I was using a TV Paracorr coma corrector) right to the edge. But the immersiveness of the view through the 12mm ES92 made it the standout of the night. I love that aspect in the 76 degree Morpheus range and it was a given I would feel the same about the ES 92 range as well
IMG_20210121_173710[6611].jpg
IMG_20210121_174535[6614].jpg
IMG_20210121_174455[6615].jpg
Ivan
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Explore scientific 12mm 92 degree.

Post by Refractordude »

Don at www.eyepiecesetc.com sent me a list of the best of the best eyepieces. The ES 12mm 92 degree is one of them. I noticed at astromart the Baader Morpheus eyepieces a rare to find. My next eyepiece just may be a Baader Morpheus. Left click the image.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

Thanks, the Morpheus 9mm would be a great choice, but all are very good.
Ivan
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Thanks for the write-up Ivan. I have been considering the ES 92 17mm for a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I do like my Ethos 13mm and it gets used a great deal. However, I always have my eye open for something that might improve the experience.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

That's a lot of EP right there, what is the weight? Sounds like a good match for your scope.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

kt4hx wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:13 pm Thanks for the write-up Ivan. I have been considering the ES 92 17mm for a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I do like my Ethos 13mm and it gets used a great deal. However, I always have my eye open for something that might improve the experience.
Thanks Alan. I've had my 13E since 2007 ( I think that's when they came out) and it has been used extensively on the 18 inch. After picking up a TV 6mm Delos a few years back, I found the long ER (20mm) appealing. Over the last year I bought the Morpheus range, and have been using them more than my Ethos EP's. The ES 92 was the next progression that combined the Long 20mm ER with the wide 92 degree field. I'm really enjoying using it at the moment. I don't have plans on purchasing the 17mm version as yet as I have the 21E at the moment.
Bigzmey wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:31 pm That's a lot of EP right there, what is the weight? Sounds like a good match for your scope.
Hi Bigzmey, It weighs 1.09Kg's, about 2.4 pounds, slightly heavier than the 21 Ethos. The scope is set up balance wise for the largest and heaviest Ethos (21mm) plus Paracorr, so the 12mm ES causes no balance issues when using it.
Ivan