Focus on Simon Ploessl

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Focus on Simon Ploessl

Post by j.gardavsky »

Back to the optics design of the Plössl's eyepiece in the historical perspective

Here is a link to a document showing the Steinheil version of the symmetric Plössl,
https://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollectio ... mage17.htm

1880 to 1900, Steinheil in München has been the major designer and manufacturer of the eyepieces for the astronomy telescopes.
From about that time, I have a set of the Steinheil's version of the Mittenzwey-Huygens eyepieces in my historical collection.

Best,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Just a note,
the quoted link to Steinheil München is the publication, 1907.

Best,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

Oh, nice JG! I like these old catalogues.
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

MistrBadgr wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:09 pm OK, for someone writing in English, considering that we do not have an "o" with two dots over it, what is the closest to correct way to spell the name?
Simply type ALT+0246 and you will get ö so you can type Plössl.
You can look up ALT codes for many many different things, like ALT+0176 for the ° symbol, ALT+130 for the e in Clavé, ALT+0197 for the a in Ångstrom.
I keep a little list of the most common one by my computer, especially because we type Greek letters so often, like α, ß, ε, µ etc.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Wow! Thanks, Don! :)
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Don Pensack wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:22 pm
MistrBadgr wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:09 pm OK, for someone writing in English, considering that we do not have an "o" with two dots over it, what is the closest to correct way to spell the name?
Simply type ALT+0246 and you will get ö so you can type Plössl.
You can look up ALT codes for many many different things, like ALT+0176 for the ° symbol, ALT+130 for the e in Clavé, ALT+0197 for the a in Ångstrom.
I keep a little list of the most common one by my computer, especially because we type Greek letters so often, like α, ß, ε, µ etc.

ä, ö, ü, Ä, Ö, Ü, ß

or even much easier, you switch the language setting from DEU to EN (US), at bottom right,
Lang.jpg
Lang.jpg (5.69 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
Those lazy guys buy a German keyboard, ha, ha,
JG
Leica 82mm APO Televid
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

j.gardavsky wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:24 pm... have it been the geometry measurement systems for the body in white manufacturing?
Thanks! No, it was for engine production to validate machining of the engine block. Other production parts were also validated on the Zeiss "Calypso" coordinate measuring machine.

Needless to say, I learned a lot about optics.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

mikemarotta wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:31 pm
j.gardavsky wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:24 pm... have it been the geometry measurement systems for the body in white manufacturing?
Thanks! No, it was for engine production to validate machining of the engine block. Other production parts were also validated on the Zeiss "Calypso" coordinate measuring machine.

Needless to say, I learned a lot about optics.
Hello Michael,

this is very interesting!
About 14 years ago, I have been invovled, together with Zeiss Oberkochen, in a PTB project on the traceability of the coordinates measuring systems with lasers to the geometric standards. (PTB - Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt in Braunschweig, the German counterpart to the NIST)
My part has been mainly to double check the statistical analysis of the measurement errors, as used by PTB, and on the laser sensors, of course.

Back to Simon Plössl
As you are fluent in German, I could send you some documents on Plössl's optics, should you wish.

Best regards,
JG
Leica 82mm APO Televid
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Viel Dank. My German is best in one direction: aus Deutsch bis zum Englisch. Ich kann nicht so fliessend auf Deutsch schreiben - besonders nicht fuer technische Dokumenten. But I would be happy to receive the Simon Plössl documents because I could probably use them in another article, if not for my own Verbesserung.

(BTW most recently, I worked in 2019-2020 for a local office of EOS aus Krailling, in 3-D printing. Though I am on another project now for a different company, I still translate for them as needed. But again, while there was a lot to learn about plastics, in my case, I got the most understanding out of the optics.)

Tschuess!
MEM
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial