In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Types of eyepieces?

Post by notFritzArgelander »

turboscrew wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:40 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:35 pm
turboscrew wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:24 pm
Now I'm curious. How does the F-ratio affect?
A simple way to think of it is that the focus of the telescope is where the rays converge. Those converging rays make a cone of a certain angular width. The faster the scope, the larger the angle of the cone of converging rays. An eyepiece designer has to make a design that "accepts" that cone without distorting it. Thus the minimum accepted f ratio (maximum incident cone angle) is a design requirement. It also affects how fancy the math has to be to accurately do a ray tracing diagram for the design. The larger the incident cone angle happens to be, the more complex the math. It turns out that the Plossl design works well at fast f ratios and fat cone angles.

If the ep works well at the fastest f ratio it will also work well at slower ones. But the fastest f ratio is where the design can no longer handle the incoming cone of rays without distorting the image some way.
That explains the higher requirements of eyepieces for faster scopes.
It's just a bit rough to study optics for a year or two to be able to select working eyepieces. ;)
Also, I guess the different glass materials that are used, bring in their own features (refractive index in different wave lengths).
The (basic) geometry of the optics may not be so hard, but going through all the structures and materials used in them...
And if it was easy, nobody would pay the designers... :D
Yes, optics is a very technical topic. The only shortcut is to rely on sensible folks who know their stuff both from a practical and a first principles POV. Environmental regulations have changed the materials that are used also. As a schoolboy I built my own scope and in college I was an astronomy/physics major with a nice optics lab to play with. JG and Lady Fraktor also seem to me to know their stuff. JG has made a living from it I think, IIRC.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:54 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:35 pm

A simple way to think of it is that the focus of the telescope is where the rays converge. Those converging rays make a cone of a certain angular width. The faster the scope, the larger the angle of the cone of converging rays. An eyepiece designer has to make a design that "accepts" that cone without distorting it. Thus the minimum accepted f ratio (maximum incident cone angle) is a design requirement. It also affects how fancy the math has to be to accurately do a ray tracing diagram for the design. The larger the incident cone angle happens to be, the more complex the math. It turns out that the Plossl design works well at fast f ratios and fat cone angles.

If the ep works well at the fastest f ratio it will also work well at slower ones. But the fastest f ratio is where the design can no longer handle the incoming cone of rays without distorting the image some way.
It's just a bit rough to study optics for a year or two to be able to select working eyepieces. ;)
Also, I guess the different glass materials that are used, bring in their own features (refractive index in different wave lengths).
The (basic) geometry of the optics may not be so hard, but going through all the structures and materials used in them...
Yes, optics is a very technical topic. The only shortcut is to rely on sensible folks who know their stuff both from a practical and a first principles POV.
...and learn by the side...
Environmental regulations have changed the materials that are used also. As a schoolboy I built my own scope and in college I was an astronomy/physics major with a nice optics lab to play with. JG and Lady Fraktor also seem to me to know their stuff. JG has made a living from it I think, IIRC.
I have noticed, that Lady Fraktor knows about a lot about astronomy, and you seem to know about physics in general.

I've been all over the place. Even in technical university my friends considered me to be a bit odd, because I wasn't all about quick arrival to well paid job, but I actually wanted to learn and understand. :)
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:02 am
Yes, optics is a very technical topic. The only shortcut is to rely on sensible folks who know their stuff both from a practical and a first principles POV.
Environmental regulations have changed the materials that are used also. As a schoolboy I built my own scope and in college I was an astronomy/physics major with a nice optics lab to play with. JG and Lady Fraktor also seem to me to know their stuff. JG has made a living from it I think, IIRC.
I have noticed, that Lady Fraktor knows about a lot about astronomy, and you seem to know about physics in general.

I've been all over the place. Even in technical university my friends considered me to be a bit odd, because I wasn't all about quick arrival to well paid job, but I actually wanted to learn and understand. :)
I went to grad school in physics after an undergrad astronomy program where I was criticized for my attitude: "You do know that the Natural Philosopher has been obsolete for over a century, don't you?"

My response was "Maybe it's time for a revival". It was not deemed adequate or congenial. ;)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:19 am

I went to grad school in physics after an undergrad astronomy program where I was criticized for my attitude: "You do know that the Natural Philosopher has been obsolete for over a century, don't you?"

My response was "Maybe it's time for a revival". It was not deemed adequate or congenial. ;)
Well, I was the guy walking around corridors asking people "what is Laplace transformation". I was almos always told how much it is (the formula). Then in the basic course of functional analysis it became clear to me: It's just a complex dot product parametrized over the whole function space, where the base functions are, not sines and cosines (Fourier), but sines and cosines with growing amplitudes. That allows signals to start and end. Some people wondered, though, what did a SW engineer do in the course of functional analysis... ;)
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Well, I was the guy walking around corridors asking people "what is Laplace transformation". I was almos always told how much it is (the formula). Then in the basic course of functional analysis it became clear to me: It's just a complex dot product parametrized over the whole function space, where the base functions are, not sines and cosines (Fourier), but sines and cosines with growing amplitudes. That allows signals to start and end. Some people wondered, though, what did a SW engineer do in the course of functional analysis... ;)
It was always a source of pleasure to me, how much functional analysis can be brought in under the roof of the inner product. :)
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:29 pm
turboscrew wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:23 pm

It was always a source of pleasure to me, how much functional analysis can be brought in under the roof of the inner product. :)
BTW, the same course made me understand what the mathematical idea of dimension is. And also what the mathematical idea of orthogonality is.
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

But we are digressing way down the primrose path of memory lane. :)
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Yes. :lol:
But to return to the original topic, I wonder if Baader Hyperions are OK? I've heard that Baader Morpheus is? But do those have too many lenses? Also Vixen SLVs are said to be good.
I was thinking of trying this https://www.astroshop.eu/eyepieces/baad ... mm/p,33613
and this (with and without 3xBarlow): https://www.astroshop.eu/eyepieces/tele ... ce/p,15878
Thoughts?
The problem is that in 6 mm, the price jumps from that Plössl (63€) to 421€ (TeleVue Delos) and then 704€ (TeleVue Ethos).
COVID seems to have pruned the middle-class away.
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

I used to have the complete set of Baader Hyperions. This included the 31mm and 36mm aspheric units were the best performers of the lot. I found the shorter focal lengths unsatisfactory compared to TV Panoptic and Delos so I sold off the Hyperions and kept the TVs. The field stop was fuzzy and the 24mm was the poorest of the lot. They were 'OK'.

Now the Baader Classic Orthos are superb! They render internal detail on faint fuzzies best and for planetary are equalled or surpassed only by the KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics. They are a bit better than Delos because less glass. I've bought 3 complete sets including the 2.25 Barlow and Q-turret.

Why 3? Binoviewing for me and a set for my grandson. I can't recommend them strongly enough. They are better on faint fuzzies than TV Plossls for internal details. The TV Plossls give a marginally brighter image and may be a little better at finding the full extent of a nebula.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:21 pm I used to have the complete set of Baader Hyperions. This included the 31mm and 36mm aspheric units were the best performers of the lot. I found the shorter focal lengths unsatisfactory compared to TV Panoptic and Delos so I sold off the Hyperions and kept the TVs. The field stop was fuzzy and the 24mm was the poorest of the lot. They were 'OK'.

Now the Baader Classic Orthos are superb! They render internal detail on faint fuzzies best and for planetary are equalled or surpassed only by the KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics. They are a bit better than Delos because less glass. I've bought 3 complete sets including the 2.25 Barlow and Q-turret.

Why 3? Binoviewing for me and a set for my grandson. I can't recommend them strongly enough. They are better on faint fuzzies than TV Plossls for internal details. The TV Plossls give a marginally brighter image and may be a little better at finding the full extent of a nebula.
Thanks! Order sent.
- Juha