WAnt to try 2" EP's

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
murphcc1
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

WAnt to try 2" EP's

Post by murphcc1 »

Hey all, have a 8" meade LX90 SCT, want to try some 2" EP's, any recommendations for a set?(not going crazy on $$$$$)
Also need a diagonal with the set, recommendations on that?
Already have a 2" GSO Crayford focuser.
Thanks!!!
Meade 8" LX90 Audiostar
Nikon D750 unmodified
JASON 10x50 Binoculars
NIKON 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 12V Powertank
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: WAnt to try 2" EP's

Post by sdbodin »

The f10 of an SCT is very forgiving on eyepiece type. I have only one 2 incher a 30mm 80deg fov from Agena that I use for guest viewing as it is easy for the novice to get their eye on the exit pupil. I didn't pay over $100, if I remember correctly, but just checked their site and no longer listed. Other than a low power wide angle eyepiece that needs a large field lens, there is no need for stuffing shorter focal lengths into a 2 inch package except for the prestige factor, as far as I can figure. My astro buddy up the street has a case of Naglers and brings them down once and a while, but to me, I don't see the money. As for diagonal, the stock Meade works fine I suspect any would be OK.

Just a note, don't go below 30ish focal length, that big black hole, the secondary mirror, becomes a big problem in the exit pupil.

But, don't take my word for it as I rarely look thru the scope any more, cameras are always connected,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I don't believe you need a set, just one or two 2" EPs to maximize field of view at low powers.

This GSO SV 42mm worked fine in my 8" SCT for a few years before I got fancier stuff. :)

https://agenaastro.com/gso-42mm-superview-eyepiece.html

Depending on what kind visual back your scope has, I would recommend either SCT or refractor style GSO 2" dielectric diagonal.

https://agenaastro.com/gso-2-90-99-diel ... gonal.html

https://agenaastro.com/gso-2-90-99-diel ... gonal.html

Other mid range brands of dielectric diagonals (Orion, Meade, Celestron, SkyWatcher, etc.) will be of similar quality, just look for the best price.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
murphcc1
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by murphcc1 »

"Depending on what kind visual back your scope has, I would recommend either SCT or refractor style GSO 2" dielectric diagonal"

Already have a GSO 2" Crayford style focuser with the 1 1/4" adapter.....I'll see about a GSO diagonal, thanks to all!!!
The diagonal I use now came with the scope (1 1/4"), wondering if a dielectric will give better views?
Meade 8" LX90 Audiostar
Nikon D750 unmodified
JASON 10x50 Binoculars
NIKON 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 12V Powertank
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Getting a new diagonal over the factory supplied 1.25" will be a large difference dielectric or not.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

I've been more than satisfied with Astro-Tech products; this might be worth your consideration: https://www.astronomics.com/2-99-reflec ... ctors.html
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Nakedgun »

First, decide what your budget will allow, but keep in mind that while telescopes may come and go throughout your life, good quality ep can stay with you, always. If you can't afford high quality now, save up till you can. It will be less expensive in the long run.

Good luck.
"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Nakedgun wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:43 am First, decide what your budget will allow, but keep in mind that while telescopes may come and go throughout your life, good quality ep can stay with you, always. If you can't afford high quality now, save up till you can. It will be less expensive in the long run.

Good luck.
Excellent advice! The more you observe, the better your observing skills become and the more the problems of budget eyepieces become apparent. If you will always and forever be using a long focal ratio scope you might not need high end eyepieces. If there is some chance you'll want a fast scope..... you'll have to redo the eyepieces.

If you can, try before you buy (after the pandemic is over ;) ).
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

*WHY* do you want 2" eyepieces?

It's a trick question, because there is only one real reason, other than as a status symbol, to want them: field of view. So the only eyepieces you would want in 2" format are wide-angle ones. 2" eyepieces aren't better; they are just wider.

If it is wide field views you want, your first purchase should be a focal reducer. That will open up your range of eyepieces to where you can exploit the full range of exit pupils. In theory, with a 0.63 focal reducer, you could go up to a 42mm eyepiece for maximum field of view. I say "in theory" because, if you are over "a certain age", your eye will not fully dilate to 7mm when dark adapted, so you will not be able to take advantage of a 7mm exit pupil. That doesn't stop me: I have a 42mm that works well with a 0.63 reducer in my SCTs for maximum field of view, as long as I don't look at something bright like the Moon (it shows the dark circle in the middle).

So, my wide-angle kit includes:
1. a 0.63 reducer
2. a 28mm Panoptic (68 degree AFOV)
3. a 42mm Agena (68 degree AFOV)
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

Kathy is right.

If you want to see more of the sky, the eyepiece needs to pick up a bigger circle of the telescope's focal plane. Once that circle gets bigger than what can be accommodated for in a 1.25" eyepiece barrel, you'll need to use a bigger barrel.
The next standard size is two inch.

I made a diagram that shows which 'eyepiece apparent field' -- 'eyepiece focal length' fit in a 1.25" barrel. That's everything below the blue line:

click for a larger view:
1.25 inch .png
2 inch eyepieces aren't better than 1.25 inch ones, just as size 11 shoes aren't better than size 9 ones. The shoe manufacturer mentions the size of shoes because they must fit. Manufacturers of eyepieces mention the barrel size for the same reason.

A two inch focuser is better than a 1.25 inch. A 2" focuser allows for wider true fields than a 1.25" focuser.

Outfitting a smaller SCT or MAK with a wider visual back for the use of a 2" diagonal is not an optimal solution because these telescopes have a cylindrical baffle which limits the fully illuminated image circle. Noticeable vignetting may occur.

A quality long focal length two inch eyepiece is expensive. For wide field views it may be more economical to buy a small, short focus refractor for use with your existing eyepieces. I get a 3.6° true field of view from a 68° 24mm 1.25" eyepiece in my little 73mm f/5.9 APO (430 mm focal length). It is a high quality instrument, but cost less than a quality long focal length two inch eyepiece. (Btw, the refractor has a two inch focuser and with my 68° 34mm it shows a 5.6° fully illuminated circle of sky. Check the chart: a 34mm 68° eyepiece cannot be made to fit a 1.25" barrel.)
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

Your maximum angle of view is dependent on your maximum field stop and this is 38.1 mm on the 8" Meade F10 with a 2" eyepiece holder. The field stop of a eyepiece is dependent on a combination of its focal length and apparent angle of view unfortunately only Tele View supply the field stop of their eyepieces and the closest one to 38 mm is the Panoptic 35mm with a 38.7 mm field stop, that would give you a viewing angle of about 1.19 degrees. A cheaper wide angle option maybe the new Meade MEGA WIDE ANGLE 26MM eyepiece but I have not heard any feedback on it with a 8" Meade.
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
murphcc1
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by murphcc1 »

THANKS to all!!!!
Gonna stay with the 1.25 EP's for now I guess.
Meade 8" LX90 Audiostar
Nikon D750 unmodified
JASON 10x50 Binoculars
NIKON 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 12V Powertank
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

I am still saving for a 35 mm Panoptic....but every time I get close some household priority gets the money!
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

murphcc1 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:24 pm THANKS to all!!!!
Gonna stay with the 1.25 EP's for now I guess.
You can get a 80mm f5 refractor for the price of a 2" eyepiece. Add a GSO 32mm plossl, a red dot finder, and you have a nice wild field of view. This Meade kit comes with a red dot finder. I would buy the GSO 32mm plossl, and ditch the stock plossls. Amazon pays for return shipping.