Anyone Try/Owns The Baader 14mm and 9mm Morpheus Eyepieces?

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Anyone Try/Owns The Baader 14mm and 9mm Morpheus Eyepieces?

Post by Refractordude »

What is your opinion on the eye relief, edge brightness, field of view, blackouts, light scatter, clarity/sharpness etc? I think I read that the 14mm is not as good as the others. Thanks to you all.
Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Re: Anyone Try/Owns The Baader 14mm and 9mm Morpheus Eyepieces?

Post by Ruud »

About the 14mm: I hear from two experienced observers that it's edge performance suffers from field curvature and astigmatism. They've both parted with theirs.

The 9mm has an excellent reputation though. I'd want one if I didn't already have an 8mm Delos.
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Ruud wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:27 pm About the 14mm: I hear from two experienced observers that it's edge performance suffers from field curvature and astigmatism. They've both parted with theirs.

The 9mm has an excellent reputation though. I'd want one if I didn't already have an 8mm Delos.
I had very little experience with Morpheus line, but it seems that 14mm is a weak spot for more than one well respected EP lines. Pentax XW and ES 82, just two examples.

It seems that one should either use 50-60 deg EP or accept some imperfections from wider EP in 14mm spot.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

How is the Morpheus 12.5mm?
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

A smile appeared on my face when I read the less favorable comments on the 14mm Morpheus. When I wanted to generate some budget for an even more costly ( zoom) eyepiece, I was in doubt. Which one to sell and which one to keep. My 16 mm Nagler, or my 14 mm Morpheus?
I kept the Morpheus. Main reason was that I don't really like the 82 degree field and 76 is more of my likings.
There is one aspect not mentioned though:
Second reason: the 14 mm has the property that the image seems to float in front of your eye. You hardly see the edges of the eyepiece. Only one other eyepiece I know of has this too and is even famous for it: The Edmund RKE 28 mm. Rather spectacular in my eyes, but one has to like it. I admit you must have some experience to hold your eye steady in the right place ( spherical aberration of the exitpupil). Once learned it is a very nice eyepiece and the floating effect amazing.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.