Discuss telescope eyepieces.
AntennaGuy
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: EPs as we get older

Post by AntennaGuy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:04 am

allen g wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:06 pm
I few years ago I had my cataract surgery at ucla. The surgeon developed a technique called astigmatism management and what a difference the entire procedure made in my viewing - like a new set of eyes.
UCLA? Any chance that was at the "Jules Stein Eye Institute"? I understand that is one of the best places for eye surgery in the world.
* Celestron C6 on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
allen g
Earth Ambassador

Post by allen g » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:23 pm

yes Jules Stein and the doctor was Kevin Miller
DeanD
Earth Ambassador

Post by DeanD » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:34 am

Hi Folks,

Some good comments here. One thing I have found is that my astigmatism has improved(!) as I age: so my distance vision has improved (although my close-up vision has worsened!). When I look at bright stars now without glasses I can see a distinct dot in the centre of all those spikes: eg: Sirius used to look like 3 or 4 Eiffel Towers superimposed on each other at different angles with a hole in the middle, and covering about 1/4 degree of sky. Now there is a nice dot in the middle, with less spikes...

That means that I can get a sharper view through an eyepiece than I used to without wearing my glasses. There has got to be some benefits to ageing!

The same thing can happen with short-sightedness apparently, as the eye muscles change their tone and the lens shape is altered.

Bottom line is that all my eyepieces work as well or better than they used to. The important thing for any of them as I age at least is that I get the best quality I can afford to ensure top transmission and maximum sharp field.

- Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Tak 22x60, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, FB 25x100, Orion Regulux 15x70...
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE

Return to “Eyepieces”