Site looks heavy on moderators

If you find a problem or you just want to tell us how great this forum is, post it here!!!
(We do listen!)
Theo1
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Site looks heavy on moderators

Post by Theo1 »

Hi folks,

Thanks for spinning up an awesome forum! :text-thankyouyellow:

I'm brand new to the forum and pretty new to astronomy, so a noob!

It looks like the site is heavy on time for moderators. It appears as though every post has to be approved manually?

I think there are tools out there that can help control for spam and flag suspicious activity.

I offer, completely as a volunteer, to look at what's available for phpBB if it would be helpful.

Taking the most reliable and safest route of manually approving all posts is admirable but a pretty huge ask on the moderators.

It may be that this restriction comes off and automated tools take over after a certain number of posts or after a moderator enables a user. If that's the case, disregard this post.

If you've already looked into available tools, and none were reliable enough or worked, also disregard.

Kind regards,
Ted LeRoy

Telescope: Celestron Nexstar Evolution 6", EP's: Celestron X-Cel LX 12 mm and X-Cel LX 2x Barlow, Vixen SLV 15 mm, Camera: ZWO ASI120MC-S, Bino's: Celestron 15x70

RASC Toronto Member

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Site looks heavy on moderators

Post by Gordon »

Thanks for the question Ted. We have many security tools in place to protect our members. Much more that AF ever had. However, spammers are smart they can and do slip in once in a great while. Because of the TEAMS work schedules and lives they have to live, we made sure to have coverage 24 hours a day just in case.

The reason you seldom see spammers here is that as a 'last stop' we have a 5 post moderation time. The first 5 posts of every new member must be approved. This stops those few that slip past the tools that are in place.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.