Electronically Assisted Astronomy & Night Vision

If you find a problem or you just want to tell us how great this forum is, post it here!!!
(We do listen!)
smp
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Electronically Assisted Astronomy & Night Vision

Post by smp » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:59 pm

Good afternoon,

I was looking for the right place to post a question about anyone doing observing with Night Vision (NV) gear. I also had in the back of my mind posting whether or not anyone was considering one of the new all-in-one systems like Stellina, eVscope and Hiuni (sp?).

I saw the Video Astronomy Forum. There seems to be some posts in there pertaining to EAA. Would this be the right Forum to use?

If so, I suggest a possible Forum name change: perhaps expand the title beyond Video Astronomy to Electronically Assisted Astronomy? That title would encompass Video, near-real-time stacking display for personal or outreach, and also Night Vision.

Just a thought. What do you folks think?

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Tele Vue TV-85; Celestron C6; Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: iOptron Az Pro; Explore Scientific Twilight I tripod w/ Celestron NexStar GT mount; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
ARock
Mars Ambassador

Post by ARock » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:35 pm

I remember bringing it up in the early days.
I would even extend it to Observational Astrophotography. EAA has come to mean Near Real Time Viewing, whereas AP with post processing done just to see (fainter) DSOs has different approaches, tradeoffs, equipment than conventional AP, and belongs with EAA rather than conventional AP. Otherwise EAA forums, tend to become Sharpcap forums. Also, I have noticed in other places there is some tension between NV folks and traditional EAA folks and calls to separate out the two.
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper RA drive.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
Gordon
Site Admin
Articles: 87

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Gordon » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:27 pm

Unfortunately the forum's software doesn't always work the way we hope it will. By doing some digging you can find that we did consider how to title "Video Astronomy". However, it's not visible until you get to a certain spot in the search.

Here's a screenshot of what I mean.
EAA subtitle.jpg
So basically to answer your question, the "Video Astronomy" forum would be the correct location.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 254N, Orion ST80, Orion Atlas EQ-g mount, Orion SSAG guider. Baader MPCC MkIII coma corrector, Vixen 70mm refractor. Lunt LS35THa solar scope. Skywatcher EQ5pro mount. Imagers: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm Eyepieces: a few, Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, EQMOD, SGP, Nebulosity, Photoshop, StarTools V1.4
Blog: http://ghswen.blogspot.com/
a100171
Earth Ambassador

Post by a100171 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:10 am

I bit the bullet and bought a Stellina. I set it up tonight, though it is now a little below the recommended minimum temperature now. I am grabbing a 30-minute (if it stays clear) of the Crab Nebula now.

Not something to replace a good AP setup, but I just haven't managed to get out there much (particularly while nursing a knee injury).

Some pretty good results. Not the most stable thing, but it compensates pretty good. 10-second exposures, live-stacked. It is an 80mm doublet ED I believe. It might be good for certain outreach events, but I am not sure how the community will accept such a thing.

I wonder if I am going to get Shunned now!

I promise, I will get to real AP this spring, once I level-out the back yard and set things up. And I am going back out with the binoculars once I warm back up a bit.

Not sure if the local NHAS members are interested in taking a look.
Meade 6", 8", and 10" SN, Meade 10" f/6.3 Lx200, ES ES-102, Meade 90mm DS-2000, Celestron CPC-800 HD, Celestron 11" EdgeHD, Meade ETX-90, AVX, CGEM, CGEM-DX, Twilight I mounts. Omegon 2.1x 41mm Binocs.
Hyperstar for EdgeHD, ZWO and Celestron Nightscape CCD. And now: a fully-functional Meade 12" RCX-400. And now: a Vaonis Stellina!

Return to “Feedback”