Why do I keep having to sign in?

If you find a problem or you just want to tell us how great this forum is, post it here!!!
(We do listen!)
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Why do I keep having to sign in?

Post by Gordon »

Thanks for the info. Let me do some research and see if we can figure this out!.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

GCoyote wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:12 pm On my desktop I'm running the latest version of Chrome on a new Dell Win10 machine. No VPN. This is the one that's strange because everything is new out of the box. Got it in February. It was okay at first but began logging me out in the past week or so for no apparent reason.

Still not able to sign in using Silk browser on my 2018 Amazon FireHD since the first cookie change last month. Not surprising as that's a variant of Chrome. I've tried everything on that tablet except factory reset. I suspect Amazon is using some form of un-deletable super cookies. I've heard of them but never seen any details.

Older version of Chrome on my 2012 Samsung Android tablet does not seem to be affected by the cookie changes. Once I get logged in after a cookie change, it runs normally.

Three different devices, three different results. Very strange.

I could try the MS Edge browser although I try not to use any more MS tech than absolutely necessary.
Okay,
Let's start with the 'Chrome' browser. I have the latest version of the Chrome browser on my Windows 10 machine and it's working properly. Click on the 3 vertical dots on the top right side of the browser page. That will open a 'settings' screen. From there click on "privacy and security". Click on "site settings" go down the page until you find "Permissions" / "Cookies and site data" click on the little arrow to the right and you will see a number of options. Make sure the "Allow sites to read and save cookie data" is enabled. If it is already enabled then scroll down to the "See all cookies and site data' and click on the small arrow to the right. You will now see all the cookies stored on your computer. Scroll down until you find "theskysearchers.com" (the names should be in alphabetical order.). There should be 12 or so 'cookies' stored. Click on the little 'trash can' on the right. This will remove the specific cookies for TSS ONLY. When you go to the web page again it will ask you to accept the cookies (it will be a box at the bottom of the page) accept them and log back in.
Let see what that does....

Let me know how it goes. If it fixes it, we will move on to the 'Silk' browser.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

Post by GCoyote »

Thanks Gordon. I'm bushed tonight, I'll take a look at this in the AM and see what happens. Have a good one.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Looks like the settings were correct per your recommendations above. I've cleared the site cookies three more times and it's been stable now for 48 hours since I last had to sign it. Fingers crossed.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
dritter
Moon Ambassador

Post by dritter »

I'm using Firefox and the site has been working well for me. I usually sign-out after using it so I'm guessing that the cookie on my system gets regularly re-written.

In any event, I never get bumped off in mid-post or while browsing the site. Once logged in, my browser stays logged in until I tell it to end the session by logging out.
Dave