Greetings from Vancity!

Please take a minute to introduce yourself!
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Greetings from Vancity!

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey Kagemusha, welcome to TSS from another Canuck; a displaced Montrealer to boot :lol:

Only another 24 days to go! As for lenses, the stock one will do as you want, but there is better and the price doesn't have to be steep. Just wondering, do you know if the mount is a GOTO?

All the best and look forward to hearing about you and your sons first light with it :D

BTW, yeah, that was a good movie!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Kagemusha
Earth Ambassador

Post by Kagemusha »

KathyNS wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:18 am Welcome to TSS, from the other end of the country! Hopefully the rain will stop out there and skies clear for you to use the new scope.
We’re getting snow this weekend, it just doesn’t stop :|
Brand new to backyard astronomy and hoping to learn about astrophotography! Starting this journey with my son. 👨‍👦
Please be gentle :lol:

Scope: Stock Celestron Omni AZ120 w/ stock mount and eye pieces
Cameras: Canon EOS T3 Rebel and an iPhone 13
Toys: Celestron x2 Barlow w/T-Adaptor, Auto-Shutter for my DSLR
Wish-List: Goto tracking mount, dedicated astrophotography cam, to capture the Orion nebula
Kagemusha
Earth Ambassador

Post by Kagemusha »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:53 am Hello and welcome to the forums :)
The f/6.5 refractor is quite good and will show you the planets including the rings of Saturn.
I would suggest downloading Cartes du Ceil or Stellarium which are both free planetary programs.
These will let you see what is up in your area and where to look for them.
Hold off on the barlow lens for the moment and wait till after you use the telescope.
You will want to get more eyepieces eventually so wait till you have a budget in mind and them we can advise better.
Thank you for the app suggestions, will definitely check them out. I’ve been using SkyView from the Apple store.
Brand new to backyard astronomy and hoping to learn about astrophotography! Starting this journey with my son. 👨‍👦

Wish-List: Goto tracking mount, dedicated astrophotography cam, to capture the Orion nebula
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Kagemusha wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:32 am Hi Everyone!

Greetings from Vancouver, Canada (To be precise, Burnaby - a suburb of Vancouver.)

I’ve always had a huge interest in looking at stars and planets and I’m hoping to learn a lot more here. I even often have dreams where I look up on the sky and can see planets and nebula with my naked eye :lol:

My wife recently bought my 5 year old son and I a Celestron Omni AZ 102 from Costco. Can’t open it until Christmas since it’s technically his gift :lol:

I have a couple quick questions to start off :

With the stock lens, will we be able to see Jupiter and Saturn (including its rings)?

I’ve been scouring YouTube for videos about star gazing and learned about Barlow lenses? Is this a product I should consider buying?

Thanks in advance and glad to be here!
:text-welcomeconfetti:
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Kagemusha
Earth Ambassador

Post by Kagemusha »

Thefatkitty wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:49 pm Hey Kagemusha, welcome to TSS from another Canuck; a displaced Montrealer to boot :lol:

Only another 24 days to go! As for lenses, the stock one will do as you want, but there is better and the price doesn't have to be steep. Just wondering, do you know if the mount is a GOTO?

All the best and look forward to hearing about you and your sons first light with it :D

BTW, yeah, that was a good movie!
I don’t think its that fancy, that would be pretty neat though!

Montréal is on my list of places to visit 8-)

Kagemusha
Earth Ambassador

Post by Kagemusha »

DeanD wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:26 am Hi Kagemusha and welcome! Exciting times getting your first telescope!!

Further to Lady Fraktor's advice above, the stock eyepieces have I believe 10mm and 20mm focal lengths. There will give you magnifications of 66x and 33x respectively. (You work out the magnification by dividing the focal length of the telescope (660mm) by that of the eyepiece: 660/10=66x, and 660/20=33x.) This will be enough to give great views of the Moon and a lot of deep sky objects like the Orion nebula (M42).

The planets will look very small at those magnifications, but you will be able to see the rings of Saturn and a couple of cloud bands on Jupiter. Once you have got used to using the telescope and finding objects you will probably want to increase the magnification on the planets, and that is when it would be good to get back to us as already advised. :)

Have a great Christmas, and don't open Santa's pressies before your son!

All the best,

Dean
Thank you for the magnification explanation! :text-thankyoublue:

Counting down the days :dance:

Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

Welcome to the group. Nice bunch here.

While waiting to open the scope you can D/L Stellarium and play around with it. https://stellarium.org/

Check out some ofthe Astronomy groups. Many are having ZOOM meetings and you do not always have to be a member. Sunshine Coast RASC has a session on the 10th : https://sunshinecoastastronomy.wordpres ... Oi_1IospcQ

RASC has also been having online sessions which have been saved to YT. I do not know if you have to be a member to attend all the live sesions but consider membership. You can find recorded sessions here: https://www.youtube.com/c/RASCANADA

Look at the RASC Explore the Universe program. It is open to non members. https://rasc.ca/explore-universe One of the RASC YT playlists goes through the program.

Have fun :)
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
Kagemusha
Earth Ambassador

Post by Kagemusha »

JayTee wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:22 pm Hello and welcome to TSS. Glad you joined us.

Once you do unbox your telescope, please read the following post.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=202
Thank you for the post, very informative! :cool:

Kagemusha
Earth Ambassador

Post by Kagemusha »

Well, finally got to open our telescope but my boy was more interested in his new hot wheel toys! 😂

Didn’t take long to assemble it but it’s snowing today so cant’t really test it out.

So all I could do was take a photo of a tree near our house 😅

Can’t wait until there is a clear night!
Attachments
44FDDA7D-A618-4205-BB0E-1BB5F938C347.jpeg

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Hello and welcome aboard! Enjoy the journey with your Son!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Roverich
Moon Ambassador

Post by Roverich »

Welcome to the boards. Thanks for joining us. Enjoy the new scope.
Current scopes 16in night sky dobsonian , 80mm synta refractor on a slik professional tripod with a stellarvue m1 mount Meade series 4000 eyepieces. Meade 70mm binoculars. Keep looking up.

In route. Astrotech 102ed refractor :sprefac:

Return to “Welcome Introductions”