Ylem
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Who's counting down to retirement?

Post by Ylem »

Ugh, 124 weeks to go!
Getting close though.
I am hoping to take SSI at age 62.
I really should wait till 65 so I can get Medicare though.

But I can't take it anymore LOL
Can't wait to get out :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

A bunch of SCTs and MCTs scattered around the house and an Orion ST80.
A big box of Plossls :D
515bonner
Moon Ambassador

Re: Who's counting down to retirement?

Post by 515bonner »

I bailed 3 yrs ago at 67. Everyone kept saying oh wait til 70, you'll get 24% more in SS. Nope. Had enough stashed away drawing healthy interest, and "helping out" a couple days a week at old work place, making more now than if I was putting in that 40-50 hr week. Still enjoying retirement.
14.5" Starmaster; 9.25" Celestron; 8" Starmaster; 6" Orion Mak; 4" Celestron Refractor (Vixen)
iOptron CEM40; iOptron Cube Pro
ZWOASI120MM-s; ZWOASI290MC
Multitude of TeleVue and UO Konig II eyepieces

Member of Astronomical Society of Kansas City \ Astronomical League
Member of the British Astronomical Association
V.P. of Occultations, International Occultation Timing Association
UlteriorModem
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Me although the timeline is a bit nebulous :D

Could be tomorrow. But for now I am still 'gainfully' employed but partially retired.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Scope: 130mm APO triplet atop a CGX-L mount
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

My original plan was to retire at 70. That would be about now. However fate and refusing to lie forced my hand and I "retired" three years ago. It was unpleasant to deviate from plan but it was undeniably good for me. Health has actually, measurably improved in most areas of concern (except for one small cloud on the horizon). My Dr has actually removed two drugs from my maintenance regime.

I hope you make your escape while you can still enjoy it. Cheers. :beer: :pizza:
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
Bigzmey
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

So, you guys saying that I need to retire sooner than later? Good to know! :)

I think I have enough astro equipment, just need to build/acquire an observatory and put kids through college and I am there. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102 ED F7; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD F10, 8" SCT F10, 6" SCT F10, Omni XLT 150R Achro F5, Onyx 80ED F6.3; Meade: 80ST Achro F5.
Mounts: ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: Orion: Little Giant II 15x70, WorldView 10x50, Nikon: Action EX 16x50 & 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68s; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV; Russell Optics: SuperPlossls.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS silver mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S; Astronomik: UHC, Orion: UltraBlock, SkyGlow.
Observing: DSOs: 1805 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 1377, S110: 77). Doubles: 1304, Comets: 15, Asteroids: 75
Ylem
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Ylem »

I feel like I am putting my car mechanic's kids through college ;)
Clear Skies,

Juno16

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Yes! Retire when you can!

I retired just before my 63rd birthday. Work was getting on my nerves (later 39 years). Home was paid off and kids were out of college.
I’m a few months from my 65th birthday and just got my first SS check. Between that and a pension check, I am fine. You will never have “enough” money. Retirement is great!
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO, Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT.
Mounts: Celestron AVX with Orion MM Autoguider, SLT;
Binoculars: Bushnell 10X50
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor
Camera / Software: Nikon D5300 (Ha mod), IDAS LPS D-1 Filter, Astrophotography Tool, PHD2, SharpCap v3.2, StarTools 1.6 alpha, Adobe Photoshop 21.1.3
Dog: Jack
Sky: Bortle 7
Astro Photos https://flickr.com/photos/157183480@N07 ... 7681236785
Ylem
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Ylem »

I can pull it off at 62, but will need some type of health insurance to tie me over till Medicare.

The other question should I delay SSI a couple of years and live off savings.

Ugh, math, not now LOL 😂
Clear Skies,

notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Ylem wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:44 am
I can pull it off at 62, but will need some type of health insurance to tie me over till Medicare.

Ugh, math, not now LOL 😂
While I was still an employee for a consulting firm I looked into the Affordable Care Act and found that I could insure myself quite satisfactorily for less than my employer was deducting from my payroll. So I did the only thing an arbitrageur would do. I withdrew from my employer's plan and paid my own way. That was 4-6 years ago and things might have changed since, though.

Apparently my employer's plan had embedded costs for gynecological services and risks that I don't really need! :lol: I was able to tailor the plan to my individual situation quite satisfactorily.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
Juno16

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Ylem wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:44 am

Ugh, math, not now LOL 😂
Definitely health insurance is something to work out. As is calculating/projecting your break even point taking SS at 62 vs. later. Unfortunately, a little math is needed!
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO, Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT.
Mounts: Celestron AVX with Orion MM Autoguider, SLT;
Binoculars: Bushnell 10X50
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor
Camera / Software: Nikon D5300 (Ha mod), IDAS LPS D-1 Filter, Astrophotography Tool, PHD2, SharpCap v3.2, StarTools 1.6 alpha, Adobe Photoshop 21.1.3
Dog: Jack
Sky: Bortle 7
Astro Photos https://flickr.com/photos/157183480@N07 ... 7681236785
bobharmony
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I was helped along in the retirement decision by the company's RIF last November. It hadn't been enjoyable working at the place I was at for 29 years anymore, and I hear it has gotten worse since I left, with many of my remaining colleagues who survived the next two rounds of layoffs being outsourced to IBM last week.

I took my 401K and the company pension I was grandfathered on, rolled them into an IRA and started allocating the money into short term income, long term income and investments. I am in a position to start Medicare next month, which coincides nicely with when my company severance plan runs out, and I am not looking back. Signed up for SSI as well.

If you have a spouse and one of you earned a lot less than the other over your careers, I suggest looking into SSI Spousal Benefits. It is a plan where the spouse who earned less is able to collect 50% of the the other spouses benefit amount without any reduction to either one of you. If the government wants to give us free money, who are we to refuse. We were able to raise my spouses monthly check by several hundred dollars using this tool.

Oh, and the yard looks better early this season than it has ever been at the end of a summer while I was working. My wife and I have gotten a good chance to get reacquainted (better than expected with the pandemic) and we are just rolling forward into it. Highly recommended!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

sdbodin
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Nothing better than retirement, been there since last century. Actually took an early out bonus when the gu'mnt was downsizing. Only wish I had retired when I was 30, shouldn't waste this on old people!

Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Lady Fraktor
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Still aiming for 50 (6 years) but will have to evaluate the situation when things start back to normal.
I may have to wait till 55 if this continues...
🇸🇰
Proper Telescopes: Antares 105 f/15, Bresser 102 f/13.2, Celestron 150 f/8, Stellarvue NHNGDX 80 f/6.9, TAL 100RS f/10, TS 102 f/11, UR 70 f/10, Vixen ED115s f/7.7
Mounts: Berlebach Planet w/ pier, Celestron AS-GT, Celestron CG-5 w/ Argo Navis & tracking motor, SLT w/ pier & tripod mods, Manfrotto 028b w/ SV M2C, Mantrotto 055Pro w/ 128RC, TAL MT1C, Vixen SXP w/ HAL-130 & half pier
Diagonal: 2" A-P Maxbright, 2" Baader Herschel Wedge (P), 2" Zeiss/ Baader Amici Prism (DX2), 2" Orion Amici Prism, 2" Stellarvue DX, 2" TeleVue EverBrite
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
Buckethead 2.0
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Ylem wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:55 pm
Ugh, 124 weeks to go!
Getting close though.

I have roughly 3.5 years to go in order to collect at 62. My thinking is, sure, I will recieve less but for 5 more years so in the end it is more money overall. Several websites give examples, so that's the plan.
~Eric :bandit: |<----------- 6' ---------->| 😷
Refractor: tbd
Scope mount: tbd
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
Chair: Vestil
Ylem
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Ylem »

Buckethead 2.0 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:33 am
Ylem wrote:
Ugh, 124 weeks to go!
Getting close though.

I have roughly 3.5 years to go in order to collect at 62. My thinking is, sure, I will recieve less but for 5 more years so in the end it is more money overall. Several websites give examples, so that's the plan.
I have an article in print that I have not complety read yet.
But it's point is, if you could live off savings for a year your SSI check would be 8% more for the rest of your life.

How much are we earning on savings...

Another idea is to take a "fun" part time job and put off to 63 to get the 8%
I think some math for me is in order.
Clear Skies,

seigell
Earth Ambassador

Post by seigell »

Health Care is likely your biggest bogey - and Prices can be a real Eye-Opener if you come from a Generous Employer-based Plan.

You'll likely have 2x Options open to you: 1) Cobra - where you pay Full Cost to stay on your Previous Employer's Plan for up to 2 years; or 2) ACA (ObamaCare) Exchange - NC participates but without Medicare Expansion - so your Premiums will likely be $800-1000/mo.
Oh, or the 3rd Option: Stay Employed - Tough It Out (unfortunately the only realistic option for Far Too Many...)
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
KathyNS
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

I am counting up from retirement, seven years ago, at age 58.

I was working from home, one time zone later than the office. When we moved, to three time zones ahead of the office, my boss was willing to make it work. But even with his being accommodating, I'd have had to work 10:00 to 6:30, and that would have killed any kind of social life. So I decided to pull the plug.

The work I was doing was highly specialized, on an obsolete system, and updating my skills for something more up-to-date didn't make a lot of sense at my age.

I had a partial pension from work. I started drawing CPP a couple of years later, and now I get OAS as well, plus some investment income, so we can live modestly but comfortably.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Hall's Harbour Observatory (H2O)
Buckethead 2.0
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Ylem wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:01 am
Buckethead 2.0 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:33 am
Ylem wrote:
Ugh, 124 weeks to go!
Getting close though.

I have an article in print that I have not complety read yet.
But it's point is, if you could live off savings for a year your SSI check would be 8% more for the rest of your life.

How much are we earning on savings...

Another idea is to take a "fun" part time job and put off to 63 to get the 8%
I think some math for me is in order.
Never a bad thing to keep doing the math.
~Eric :bandit: |<----------- 6' ---------->| 😷
Refractor: tbd
Scope mount: tbd
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
Chair: Vestil
pakarinen
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

I have a few years to go - too young for Medicare- to collect full SSI and I was thinking I'd probably work until 70 to keep from going crazy. However, we furloughed 250+ employees yesterday. If there's another round and I'm furloughed, I might have to hang it up.

Not sure I want to get back into an hour+ daily commute again. Maybe they'll allow"at-risk" people to work from home when we go back. I really doubt I'll take public transportation unless / until there's a vaccine or efficacious treatment for COVID. And driving 70 miles a day in Chicago traffic is going to get old quickly.

I really don't have any ideas on reinventing myself to keep working if my present job plotzes.
The lamp once out
Cool stars enter
The window frame.

~Soseki

Orion ST120, Meade AdventureScope ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B tripod
Nikon Aculon 10x50 binos
hal2000
Earth Ambassador

Post by hal2000 »

I have 4 months left, going at the end of September. I can hardly wait.
Stevie

Orion xt10i
Celestron Nexstar 6se
Tal100r

Return to “Off-Topic”